PDA

View Full Version : Towing with an Isuzu NPR

Patriots
02-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Hey y'all looking at a 1997 Isuzu Cab Over, 135 hp diesel. It has a 12 x 4 dovetail landscapers bed. Wondering if anyone has towed a trailer with a setup like this, I have a 12 x 6 dump trailer that I wouldn't mind being able to hook up to the cabover. I am just really worried about sway.

Thanks.

UNISCAPER
02-11-2006, 10:00 AM
They are a very durable truck, designed for short hauls with light loads. The 135 HP has about enough power to turn over it's own crankshaft without the use of the starter.

Trailering, if it is something extremely light, might work out, but wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it will get you buy, but you need to look at something with more engine down the road..

Patriots
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree, but for a truck that 99.9 percent of the time will be hauling maybe 6,000 pounds, I cannot justify another 3 grand for a 175hp model.

lawnspecialties
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a thread about cabovers in this forum, also. Here and at other truck forum sites, everyone seems in agreement the Isuzus really seem to lack the power. I'm really eyeing that new Ford with the 4.5L V6 (200hp).

I have an F-250 for hauling the tractor around but I too can see the occasional need to pull my 20 ft. trailer behind the cabover. Since they appear to be front heavy, will this cause concern with a heavy load. I'm not talking about power here. I'm talking about the little old lady pulling out in front of me while I'm loaded down with 300 bales of pine straw. Can I swerve without immediately jacknifing the whole rig?

Just curious as to what to expect.

vntgrcr
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
I am not saying it gets there very fast, but it get's the job done. Use your own judgment.

Patriots
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
VNT:

Nice set up, do you have the 135hp in your NPR? Also where on the Cape are you located, I grew up in Mass - spent the summers on the Vineyard working.

Gravel Rat
02-11-2006, 07:55 PM
They do make a slow lane on the highways and freeways for a reason I think you will be used to that lane with the truck you want to use.

There are laws here it may be the same for other places but you have to have a minimum hp for the gvw.

Like Bill says "The 135 HP has about enough power to turn over it's own crankshaft without the use of the starter "

The Isuzu trucks are meant for doing innercity P+D they are too slow and underpowered for highway use.

What is going to happen when you have to stop on a steep hill and try get started rolling again its not going to happen.

gene gls
02-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Hey y'all looking at a 1997 Isuzu Cab Over, 135 hp diesel. It has a 12 x 4 dovetail landscapers bed. Wondering if anyone has towed a trailer with a setup like this, I have a 12 x 6 dump trailer that I wouldn't mind being able to hook up to the cabover. I am just really worried about sway.

Thanks.

I would say no, due to the overhang. When you go up an incline from a flat serface the dove tail will just about drag on the road.

Dan Uplinger
02-12-2006, 12:26 PM
I know the power of these things won't be what you're used to but they are not that underpowered for what they haul. I know the tractor trailers on the highway have higher gears for faster speeds but if they had the same HP per pound they would have 760 HP engines. I'm usind a 14,250 GVW NPR with 135 HP as an example. (135/14,250=0.0095 HP per pound)X80,000=760. I'm using 80,000 lbs for the GVW of a fully loaded tractor trailer. I know it seems like it takes them forever to get up some hills but then again I don't see many of them with that much HP. Just my two cents.

Gravel Rat
02-12-2006, 02:59 PM
You guys have to remember a underpowered truck is tiring to drive its hard on a driver. If the truck is a 5 or 6sp and your constantly shifting trying to maintain any kind of speed your going to be worn out.

One P+D guy I know he isn't in it anymore but he had a W-5000 with the 150hp 6 cylinder engine and 5spd he used to pull the 10% grades in first or second gear and never got above 30km/h (18mph). Semi's grossing 140,000lbs go faster than that they run 525-600hp engines.

You guys also have to remember you need the displacement for engine braking. If the engine is too small the truck just freewheels your depending on the trucks brakes to slow down. You let off of the brakes the engine probably overspeeds real quick if your trying to use gears to slow you down.

They do have good exhaust brakes on those engines but still your pushing your luck.

vntgrcr
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM
VNT:

Nice set up, do you have the 135hp in your NPR? Also where on the Cape are you located, I grew up in Mass - spent the summers on the Vineyard working.
I live in North Falmouth. Just me and my guy, keep it small, keep it all. I don't usually tow the Kubota with the NPR, I have an F800 that I use, but had to show these guys it can be done, just not very often. That NPR has 250K miles on it and still starts/runs great. I love that truck and will get another one. Plus there aren't a lot of hills on Cape Cod, so I really don't have that concern.

Patriots
02-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Cool the NPR I picked up has 160,000 on it - figure just getting broken in. And as for hills, ahhhh biggest hills we have in North Texas are built by the Fire Ants.