PDA

View Full Version : This is my company!

OnMyOwn
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I've been thinking about pricing for a few days and some encounters I've had with clients in the past. I've had instances where clients try to dictate my pricing by manipulation, bartering, or general whining about how broke they are.

-just a thought to share with everyone during this season of scrambling and quoting.

If you allow the client to dictate pricing, you are allowing the client to pigeon-hole you into the quality / standard of life they think you are worthy of living.

I've chosen to control my own destiny through self-employment, therefore, I will not compromise my career choice by allowing others to decide my financial worthiness.

germann
02-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Sure-owning a business gives you freedom to make decisions-good and bad. If you want to be successful, you must operate according to supply and demand. You have to strike a balance between your needs and what a paticular market dictates. If work sells for $35 an hour in your region, you won't be able to charge $50 and have a viable business, no matter how dogmatic you are about it. (I guess there are guys that can actually buck a trend and change a whole market, but they are few and far between.) Try working your business to satisfy your regions dictates and be profitable. Also, remember-do not become discouraged because one person says you are too expensive, etc. Look for trends in the ways people respond and treat your business.

mtdman
02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
As long as your rates are competitive, stick to your guns. Like I told tiedeman, when you allow customers to dictate your rates you are no longer running a business, you are working for them. Once you start letting people knickle and dime you and you give ground, they will continue to give ground until they get everything they can out of you. Set your rates, stand firm, and find people who aren't broke to be customers. When you do, you'll find that they are willing to pay for quality and accept your rates.

Shawns Lawns
02-12-2006, 11:32 AM
If you allow the client to dictate pricing (within reason) THEY pigeon hole themselves in quality they receive. You get what you pay for and if you have a $35 lawn and they want it for $30 then you might have to take away the bagging you do for them. I learned that every time they ask for something counter with a price RIGHT AWAY and they will stop asking for add-ons or cut backs. :waving: