PDA

View Full Version : bulk decorative stone

scarr133
02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I have an HOA that has a center island just as you enter the neighborhood which is approx 2500 Sq. Ft. (250 ft. long X 10-12 ft. wide). They want a bid for removing the current mulch and grass, which there isn't much grass at all, and a price for installing RIVER ROCK in the whole island. There are also about 30 small bushes and 15 ornaments grass in the island, all of which will need removed. I will be using a bobcat/front end loader to remove everything and to place the river rock. Any help with this bid and bulk stone conversions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hopefully this was enough info on the job!

LB1234
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Figure ~1.5 ton of stone (ex. 1" River Rock) will get you one cubic yard. I believe the more precise is 1.3 ton per yard. At 2500 ft2 and assuming a depth of 4 inches yields 830 ft3 or 30 yd3 or about 45 ton of stone. I would figure YOUR cost would be anywhere from 25-40/ton. Probablly about two tandem loads (20-25Ton) will do the trick. Assuming 30/ton thats about 1350 your cost...assuming there is no delivery. Could be another 100 or so bucks per delivery.

My question would be what are you doing with all the earth that needs to be removed?

scarr133
02-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I have a dump trailer to dump it off site. I have about 5 miles to drive there, and their fees are $18 a ton, I think.

sheshovel
02-11-2006, 06:06 PM
They probably mean big river rock,that's what I would use.Also I would dig and save and repot and sell those Ornamental grasses..they aren't cheap ya know,or I would plant them somewhere.Can't really give you a price though cuz stone has really gotten high priced around here>It depends.
You will need some of that soil to fill the holes left when you pull out the plants too don'e forget.

scarr133
02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
how much would you guys charge to pull out the bushes? Most of them would come out fairly easy, less than probably 5 minutes each bush. The ornamentals are a little less friendly to remove.

sheshovel
02-11-2006, 06:19 PM
About 3.00 to 5.00 a bush depending on how big they are .

LB1234
02-11-2006, 09:52 PM
okay, can't sleep and snows on its way so here it goes...

Stone Cost: $1600
Weed Fabric: $300
Shrub/Earth Removal: $225 for operator (3 hrs), plus $300 rental.
Laying Weed Fabric/leveling sight: $70 (2 men/2hrs)
Removal/Dump Fee: $300/10yds-'fill' dirt only
Stone Distribution: $600 for operator (8hrs for 45 tons...not sure on this estimate never done that amount before)
Miscellaneous: $100
Cleanup/DumpTime/Materials/Estimate/Etc: $150

I dunno my guestamit is about 3700...maybe more if renting the machine for more than one day, assuming you don't have one. okay, back to trying to get some shut eye.

scarr133
02-11-2006, 10:57 PM
LB,

Thanks for the reply and info. That helps a lot. I need to check to see what I can get the stone for before I do anything else.

Dreams To Designs
02-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Don't forget about the maintenance when you are finished with all that river rock. All the trash it's going to collect along with dust, dirt and weeds. You will need a weekly maintenance schedule to keep it looking good, or all your effort will reflect poorly.

Kirk

YardPro
02-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Don't forget about the maintenance when you are finished with all that river rock. All the trash it's going to collect along with dust, dirt and weeds. You will need a weekly maintenance schedule to keep it looking good, or all your effort will reflect poorly.

Kirk

the rock will be easier to maintain than a planted/turf area...

as for coverages
here we have two types, 1-2" and 3-5'.. the 1-2 gets about 100sqft/yd, the 3-5 is about 75 sqft..

a large area of the 1-2 does not look that goodwe usually scatter the 3-5's and then fill with 1-2.. this way the larger rocks are not just sitting on top. they look burried.

TScapes
02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
We have done several of these type of projects at various properties this past year. Usually they are due to islands that keep having problems with tire ruts due to high traffic locations at commercial props.

Our cost is btwn $o.o5-0.06 per lb for the stone. We use what is refered to as a "Pond Mix". It has stones that are 1-2' in diameter, down to 4" stones. We typically will line the bottom of the bed with fabric, to help with the dirt and and weeds. Then we stagger the placement of the larger stones, fill in with the remaining stones, and then lightly scatter 1-3" stones to fill in the little cracks and crevices. We find that the "Pond Mix" will spread about 80sq.ft. on average. (That is about a ton) Every market is different as far as their availability of stone, but good luck.

I will be on one of our recent jobs later today and will take a pic and post it later to show you what our finished product looks like.

scarr133
02-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Thanks TScapes.

M RASCOE&SONS
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
just an idea but if i were you i would get a ton of the stone your gonna use and show the customer first before having it delivered just so you dont get the "well i didnt think it was gonna be that big" .you also maybe able to convince the customer to replant the shrubs and make some more money doin it.good luck

scarr133
02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I just called around and I can get the stone for as low as $10.50/ton. That puts my cost at around $710 WITH DELIVERY TO MY LOCATION. So based on that, any ideas to help me out with the bid????? Also, it runs me $145 a day for a bobcat, and I am guessing probably 2 days with that.

TScapes
02-14-2006, 09:00 AM
We must be talking about two completely different styles of river rock. Here are some pics of the style of rock I am refering to. I will also post some job pics a little later.

scarr133
02-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I got my prices from a rock quarry. That is why my price is so much cheaper than from a landscaping business that sells mulch, rock, etc. They also refer to river rock as L Gravel (landscapers gravel/rock). The pics you provided are much larger stones that what I will be purchasing.