PDA

View Full Version : echo or stihl

puregreen345
02-11-2006, 03:11 PM
im looking to buy a new trimmer and blower, the trimmer for around 250-300 and pretty cheap handheld blower around 150, which brand is more efficient and comfortable to use echo or stihl? thanks

lawnman79
02-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Ive used both brands for many years, and have found that Stihl makes a better blower, and that echo trimmers work much better.

I just bought a new one of each of those and am very happy with them.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm taking Stihl for both... EVERY TIME!

ThirdDay
02-11-2006, 03:38 PM
All Echo equipment here and we are very happy with them all.

Stihl does make a nice hand held blower but I hate their trimmers!

C.T. Lawn Care
02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I have used both. From what i have used i would go with a sthil trimmer. yes they are a little bit heavier than the echo but they start soooo much easyer and the throtle responce is so much chrisper on the sthil than the echo. Now as far as blowers go i would have said echo if you are going to be needing a powerful blower but since you are looking at a cheap hand held one then i would say get it from the same place you get your trimmer. They are both about the same and why not just stay with the same company that your trimmer is with to make it easyer to buy and to get fixed if you need them both fixed at the same time. Who knows maybe the dealer will even give you a % off since you bought more than one piece of equipment off of him at the same time.

Lux Lawn
02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I have always used Echo blowers but I am thinking about trying the Stihl 550 or 600 this year.

lawnmaniac883
02-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Stihl//Stihl for me

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I have always used Echo blowers but I am thinking about trying the Stihl 550 or 600 this year.

Make sure to get the 600

milo
02-11-2006, 04:59 PM
here we go.. look at all the posts before mine and both say go with the echo or stihl... to tell you the truth i have owned both brands and about 10 of each i buy new hand held equipment every year.. echo's start easier for sure no doubt at all.. stihls have a little more power. echos have a better feel. out of the 2 i prefer stilh, but both are awesome equipment. you can go wrong with either. go buy the one that feels good to you and is in your price range then you got the right one for sure. you can go wrong..:blob4:

milo
02-11-2006, 05:03 PM
to add to this. this season i bought a husqvarna and a kawasaki trimmer and i am gonna buy 2 echo blowers yet thats the hand held ones.

anj
02-11-2006, 05:10 PM
i have the sthil 550 and it doesnt seem to have that much power. i took it to the shop and they replaced the spline shaft and it still seems to have little power at times. i dont know what to do i think i may buy an echo. i demoed the 600 sthil and i thought it had the same power as the 550.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Having Echo's and Stihl's I agree with Milo.

My Echo's are older stuff though and the the reputation of the new Echo stuff is in the dumps right now.

Judging from my stuff, I find both are good equipment.
Both start well new, but Echo turns tempermental sooner.
Both are solid and reliable, but the Stihl's put out a lot more trouble free hours.

As far as the trimmers, the Echo's are lighter. But they are less powerful and not built as strong. All the Echo stuff tends to leak fuel after a while too. Plus on the trimmers, the throttle triggers are more likely to get seriously damaged.

As far as the blowers are concerned, both are great. But the Stihl's are lighter, quieter, blow harder and are designed much better with a better feel.

So I'm not really against Echo per-say, but Stihl makes better stuff and I'm a bit leary of the newer Echo's.

Milo, you should really scratch getting the Echo handhelds and buy up the last of the remaining regular BG85 Stihl handhelds. I like BOTH for different reasons, but the Echo's are not even in the same ballpark in blowing power. You'd have to get a PB 620 backpack to get that kind of power from an Echo. Just though I'd give you the heads up on that.

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
i have the sthil 550 and it doesnt seem to have that much power. i took it to the shop and they replaced the spline shaft and it still seems to have little power at times. i dont know what to do i think i may buy an echo. i demoed the 600 sthil and i thought it had the same power as the 550.

Yeah, there are some of the new blowers that have some issues.
Maybe a bad run/bad lot... something like that.

But a proper running BR600 is a hoss!
They out blow all the Echo's without question.

But the Echo's are good too and if you are running into that in your area, it might not be a bad idea to go Echo this time and try again next time.
The 750 series is plenty strong.
They are adding a 755 to that line for '06.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Both good. I personally use echo.

mulcahy mowing
02-11-2006, 06:04 PM
i'm an echo guy.

out4now
02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I've used both brands. I prefer Echo personally with the exception of when it comes to saws.

milo
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
envy i might get stihl or echo handheld i am gonna buy 2 they are to replace my 2 bg85 stihls that i bought new last season. i just bought 2 echo backpack blowers sept of 05 for leaf cleanups they are the pb651 and those are great.
as for the handheld i might even buy one echo and one stihl. echo is $159.99 and stihl is $149.99
i like both of them. i guess i will make my mind up when i go to the dealer to get them.
i do have to say i gave my parents one of my old echo's that is like 10 years old and 2 pulls and it fires right up. it has about 25% the power it did new lol.. but it does run good.. it needs a new top end. :)

Envy Lawn Service
02-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah, you should get the BG85's if you are running them now.
You'll be sick with the Echo's if you don't.

Just make sure you don't get the new 2006 ones.
Check the Stihl website, I think they are BG85 'D' or something like that.
These are low noise, low emission blowers with a Cat converter, which makes them weaker.

samk
02-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I run echos but dont think you could go wron with either.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
02-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Echo PB200

milo
02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
look this is coolgmc gmc gmc gmc

Woody82986
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
I prefer Echo trimmers and Stihl blowers even though I don't own a Stihl blower. The Stihl blowers I have tried out seem to be way better than my Echo blowers.