PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer floor protectant??????

scarr133
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
For those of you that have enclosed trailers, what type of protectant do you use for the floors???? I have a 20' enclosed that I just bought, and it is an all wood floor, and I am looking for something along the lines of a rhino line material. Something durable and something that has some grit for traction. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J Hisch
02-11-2006, 05:19 PM
For what your looking for that is about your only option. There is a paint that is very durable that has grit in it. I think it is really expensive, plus you have to do the work. Getting it lined I guess it just depnds what your willing to pay. 6'x12'dual axles ran me 400.00

cgland
02-11-2006, 05:22 PM
What about diamond plate?

Chris

oasislawns
02-11-2006, 05:33 PM
You could put tile down or I think some auto parts stores sell something similar to Rhino Liner called Hercu-Liner that you apply yourself and would save you money.

lawnmaniac883
02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Diamond plate=slippery when wet, I would go line-X if you are leaning towards a spray on liner. The rhino's are good if you want to slide material in/out like bags of mulch, etc. The line-X's have a rougher surface that allows better traction.

Greybeard
02-11-2006, 06:30 PM
We bought a Pace trailer a few years ago, and I found a two-part heavy gray urethane paint at an industrial paint company. It is really tough stuff, and we have dragged old pallets and machinery across it for several years with no damage and no peeling. (All of the Rhino and similar liners are urethane, too.)
I'm not sure why you want the non-skid, but you can achieve that with any coating if you broadcast dry sand across the wet paint. You overload it, then broom out the excess after it dries. Temperatures are important - check the label.
If you have a Sherwin-Williams store nearby, ask to speak to the industrial coatings sales person. I think we used about 1 or two gallons on our 18 x 8 trailer floor. Good luck.

lfd30
02-13-2006, 02:23 PM
bought apoxy paint with grit at shewin williams.Took a couple of hours to put on but sealed the floor and held up well all last season.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I used Sherwin Williams industrial paint with "shark- bite" in it...worked good and seems to be wearing well

scarr133
02-14-2006, 05:24 PM
I purchased some of the Herculiner from Pep Boys. I will be applying that hopefully at the end of this week. They currently are running a special on the price (at least in my area) for the black starter kit (rollers, brushes, gallon, etc.) for $79.99 plus a $20 mail in rebate = $59.99. Hell of a deal if you ask me. I have called other places and that starter kit was $99.99. Just FYI.

LB Landscaping
02-14-2006, 06:27 PM
I just had my truck bed Linex'd I would highly recommend it. Looks good, grips and is hard as a rock. I think it would be an excellent investment for your trailer. A buddy of mine used the do-it-yourself kit and hates it, really thin, peeling up alot and its tough to get off on the spots that aren't peeling so he's stuck with the mess.

South Florida Lawns
02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I like the spray on bed lining.

Altough the price is wack.

Think i will spend 250 bucks and get the do it yourself stuff.

samk
02-15-2006, 06:24 AM
After reading the post about pepboys went down and cheched. Got it for 59.99 (with rebate) cant beat that.

scarr133
02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Samk,

Have you put your Herculiner down yet? We have the same size trailer and I was wondering if you put yours down, how much did you use? Also, did you use the rollers provided or use something else? Thanks.

ToroLandscaper
02-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Does any one know the price to get Line-X or Rhino Lining for like a 16-20 foot trailer?

samk
02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Have not put the floor down yet have to wait till we are above 32 degrees I bought three cans though. hope it is enough

scarr133
02-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I got a quote from Line-X for my 8.5 X 20 enclosed, and they wanted around $1200-$1300. Rhino lining quoted me anywhere from $600-$1800 depending on thickness, and Zeibart quoted me $3600:dizzy: I about S**T when they said that. Obviously they didn't want to do the job. I bought the Herculiner from Pepboys for $59.99(after rebate) and will hopefully be applying it tomorrow. If so, I will let everyone know how it turns out.

samk
02-17-2006, 11:46 PM
post a pic when your done.

scarr133
02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Here are the latest pics of the floor of the trailer. I have done two coats on the floor, but only 1 on the sides. I still have to do the ramp and another coat on the sides, and make the sides straight. I will post more when it is completely finished. Also, for the first coat, I used the supplied rollers, then for the second, I just used a regular big roller that you would use on walls in your house. The second coat went MUCH faster than the first.

samk
02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
How many gallons used so far? I bought 3

samk
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
Looks pretty good. How big is the trailer?

scarr133
02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
my trailer is 8.5X20 enclosed. I used 1.5 gallons so far. I figure I will use the rest of the second gallon on the walls, and then I have a quart that I will use for the ramp. If I have any left over, I am going to try to get one more coat on the floor, but if not, it should be fine. The pics don't do it justice. It's kinda hard to see. But it has great traction, and after the second coat was down, I couldn't see the grain of the wood anymore. Once you get the first coat down, you're gonna be thinking how well it will work, but the second coat does wonders.

samk
02-27-2006, 09:46 AM
I bought 3 gallons so that sould do it. your does look good especially on the close ups. we were in the 40 and 50s then I bought the stuff and we are in a freeze now. Im dying to put it down.

scarr133
02-27-2006, 10:33 AM
make sure you do it in a WELL VENTILATED AREA. I did it in the bay at the firehouse, and everyone kept coming out to make sure I was still alive. It is pretty potent. If you are able to do it outside to where you have the breeze and fresh air blowing in, that would be best. let me know how it turns out when you are done. I am going to try to finish mine up tomorrow. If so, I will post finished pics.

Also, make sure you wear old clothes and old shoes. I pretty much ruined my good shoes, and it took forever to get off of my skin. If you happen to get some on your skin, either use finger nail polish remover or gasoline, or something like that. Soap and fast orange do not work!

scarr133
02-28-2006, 08:08 PM
make sure after you finish each coat, and if you still have some left in the can, to clean the top where the lid goes on REALLY GOOD! I had to throw away about a third of a gallon because I didn't clean off the top before I put the lid on, and the lid was sealed shut. Just FYI!!!!!