PDA

View Full Version : Weird Solenoids

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
When turning on the backflow at one of the sites Friday something weird happened that I've never encountered before. I had three valves (2" Irritrol Century Plus) in the same location that I had the flow control shut down on becuase I didn't want the valves potentially coming on when the main line pressurized. These types of valves have a 50% chance of firing for short periods of time when newly installed and I couldn't afford having extra water in the area. After turning on the backflow I went to their location to open the flow controls. First valve seemed normal. Second valve: I noticed air coming out of the point where the wires enter the sealed solenoid. Due to moisture in the valve box it was bubbling up through this area. I opened the flow control and fired the valve via the actuator. When the valve shut down normally the air had disappeared and everything appears fine now. Third valve: Same thing.

Anyone run into this before? hammer

Wet_Boots
02-12-2006, 02:11 PM
Let Irritrol know about it, so they can pass it on to quality control. Their solenoids aren't really 'potted' the way a Rainbird solenoid, for instance, would be, so there is a chance for water to stray. For an Irritrol antisyphon valve, especially if freezing climates, flukey solenoids like yours could fail in a year or two.

PurpHaze
02-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Let Irritrol know about it, so they can pass it on to quality control. Their solenoids aren't really 'potted' the way a Rainbird solenoid, for instance, would be, so there is a chance for water to stray. For an Irritrol antisyphon valve, especially if freezing climates, flukey solenoids like yours could fail in a year or two.

Well, Boots... I'd think about it but Irritrol is owned by Toro and they've never listened before. One of the main reasons we've changed from the majority of their sprinklers.

PurpHaze
02-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Boots... I've decided to keep the solenoids intact and keep an eye on them. Everything seemed to be working fine so I'll take the chance in the interest of "irrigation research". If anything changes I'll post what I find.

Wet_Boots
02-13-2006, 01:26 PM
As a freezing-climate user of Irritrol valves, I have to worry about their solenoids, especially if they're on antisyphon valves. If they prove unreliable, I'll have to look around for other 3/4x20 solenoids to take their place on old installs. That's why any feedback you can give to Toro/Irritrol will be appreciated. If not that, did you notice the mfg date or lot number on them?

PurpHaze
02-13-2006, 05:05 PM
As a freezing-climate user of Irritrol valves, I have to worry about their solenoids, especially if they're on antisyphon valves. If they prove unreliable, I'll have to look around for other 3/4x20 solenoids to take their place on old installs. That's why any feedback you can give to Toro/Irritrol will be appreciated.

These were on the Century Plus 100 Series valves that are Irritrol's high end commercial valves and are not ASV-type valves. However, I do believe that the solenoid might be universal throughout their different lines of valves. If anything happens I'll post right away. I'll also mention it to our supplier. They have a hotline where comments can be made directly to their Irritrol area representative.

One difference that might be taken into account is that normally when we turn a backflow back on we have a QCV with hose swivel blow-out or an automatic valve manually open to relieve air pressure while the main line fills. This was an 8" main so I'm sure there was plenty of air in the line. However, I forgot to open something up because I was on foot between all these areas and didn't want to mess with it. That might have a tremendous bearing on the situation.

If not that, did you notice the mfg date or lot number on them?

These valves were new so I'm assuming that they were manufactured within the last 6-12 months.

Wet_Boots
02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Toro hasn't been entirely clueless, but they have made some errors that didn't show up in warm climates. And they did correct the errors, without making any pretense of their not having goofed up in the first place. Maybe I'll harass the reps at some upcoming trade show to fess up about the solenoids.

PurpHaze
02-14-2006, 09:17 AM
It would be interesting to find out if one of their subsidiaries makes the solenoids or if another company makes them exclusively for their valves.

Wet_Boots
02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Since the Irritrol solenoid is really the Richdel design, I imagine they manufacture them, and don't outsource it. Richdel was supposed to be pretty good at bringing down the cost of manufacture, even if it meant a bigger up-front investment.