PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Repairs

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
02-12-2006, 12:48 PM
OK everyone i know youve had some weird repair calls and hopefully some of you took pictures, if you got em, post em. I always like seeing the "Homeowner Specials" more like "Heres your sign"hammer

Wet_Boots
02-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Ahh, the stuff I've seen. Pre-camera days, unfortunately. Hardly a component of a sprinkler system is immune from do-it-yourselfers.

Dirty Water
02-12-2006, 01:48 PM
I've seen a few that I wished I'd had a camera.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
02-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Anyone with pictures?? ive done a search but i was wondering if anyone has stuff from this season.

Wet_Boots
02-12-2006, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen much lately to compete with the incredible doings of yesteryear. I wish I'd saved some of the stupider stuff I dug up.

Green Sweep
02-12-2006, 04:17 PM
I will be carrying a camera this year. I wish that I had it last year. Some of the funniest things that I've seen: A controller for a brand new commercial system installed under a drop ceiling in an office. Heads & valve's surrounded by concrete in the middle of a sidewalk. Duct tape used to repair a hairline crack in a 1.5" mainline......etc.

PurpHaze
02-14-2006, 10:23 PM
OK......... Ran into one today. I have no idea what the original contractor was trying to do. hammer

Wet_Boots
02-14-2006, 10:44 PM
The most recent really-stoopid bit of work I saw was the 1"x3" brass nipple that was pounded into the end of a <u>copper-tube-size</u> 1&frac12;" 200psi poly pipe. This was in the basement of a house, and the brass nipple led to a 1" water meter. The water pressure in the area was so low, that this sort of jury-rig would probably hold up, but since I was going to install a pressure booster, I ripped out the stoopid plumbing in exchange for the proper waterworks compression fitting. What I could never figure out, is how the stoopid plumbing passed an inspection. It was hardly hidden, and the guys that install the water meters couldn't have missed it either.

PurpHaze
02-14-2006, 10:52 PM
Sounds like a flood waiting to happen eventually. :laugh: I would have redone it also.

Check out the PVC union in the second picture. It and the male adapter on the inlet side of the valve were so loose that when I put this contraption into the back of my truck the valve just swiveled over. And the MA on the outlet side wasn't very tight either. And people wonder why I don't like MAs? hammer

Wet_Boots
02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
There was more of the 1½" CTS poly near the construction office further down the street, so I figured that maybe every one of the homes atop this hill were getting the same plumbing. Heaven help them all if they get the street pressure up to normal.

PurpHaze
02-15-2006, 08:04 AM
These were new homes? Amazing that they were done this way and passed inspection.

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 10:15 PM
QCV on Marlex???? Fortunately not leaking yet and supported with rebar attached to it with hose clamps. We just put a concrete Christy box on it so maybe that'll protect it for awhile. :dizzy:

Dirty Water
02-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I don't think Marlex is rated for consant pressure applications.

PurpHaze
02-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Ding!!!!!!!!!! You win the prize. But since it's not leaking YET I didn't feel like futzing with the rebar and all that crap. :cry: