View Full Version : Warrenty Question

02-13-2006, 11:08 AM
Just curious on what kind of warrenty's you guys offer your customers and did most of you get those warrenty contracts written up by lawyers?

Thanks in advance,

02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
I am sure that warranties vary from company to company. I would assume that you would start at a year on defective products and go up from there depending on the quality of the system you are selling. I always put a little spot in the contract about the bulbs. You should not need a lawyer to write a contract or warranty paper. Just do a little research and make your own. Look at the contract from two different angles, one being the property owner: what would you expect from a company regarding warranty and the second from your point of the contractor: given the quality of the product you are selling what is fair coverage regarding warranty. I usaully include parts and labor for defective products for the first year. After that I usually do defective parts only for as long as the manufacturer covers the product up to 2-3 years. But after the first year the property owner pays for the labor and if the part is not warranteed by the supplier then they pay for that to. I am sure that you are going to get reponses accross the board on your question. Just do what you feel comfortable with.

02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Good points. Some contractors have two warranty plans. The first being similar to what RI Ohio suggests, the second being a simpler lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty only applies if the homeowner agrees to an ongoing maintenance plan.

Of course, a lifetime warranty built into a maintenance plan only makes sense if you are using high quality components that are easily serviced in the field.