PDA

View Full Version : single axle acceptable?

Brendan Smith
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
My business is expanding and I find my old trailer is not up to the task. I am going to build a 6x16 trailer and know what the structural requirements are as well as how to weld. My question is will one axle be sufficient to prevent the trailer from swaying assuming it is mounted correctly. Several people have told me a single axle will sway on the interstate, yet I have seen several 16-20 foot trailers with single axles. I will be towing two commercial zero turn mowers and associated equipment and would prefer not to have my trailer pass me on the interstate. I am planning on using at least 5000 lb axle if I go with single axle or two 3500 lb axles if I go with dual axles. Does this sound ok?

kickin sum grass
02-13-2006, 11:22 AM
go with 2 for a 16 footer. you need to look up the correct placement and alignment procedure. i know you can order plans from different websites for this. If this is off you will have wasted a lot of money. Draw out your plan and get a material list. You may find it not worth yoour time and effort. You may find for a few more bucks you can have one bought.
If you do not know how to weld i would tackle a smaller job first. Something that can't kill someone if welds fall apart.
good luck either way.

JB1
02-13-2006, 11:26 AM
go with two axles, one will beat you to death going down the road.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
IMO, two axles and you would be better off buying one over building. Especially if you look at used. The points for buying listed by kickin sum grass along with if you figure the amount of hours it would take you to build, paint, and license may lean you towards buying.

janb
02-14-2006, 01:43 AM
IMO, two axles and you would be better off buying one over building. ... hours it would take you to build, paint, and license may lean you towards buying.

yeah, to say nothing of steel prices being highest in years. + liability (as mentioned)

the used go for ~$1200 - $1600, but can be had for 1/2 that on a good day

get good brakes... the tandem is the way to go, as the tongue bounce and trailer wag will be a handful with single axle. Alot depends on the towing rig, sway bars and tight stiff suspension is important (or big weight, stout truck, with some steel in frame and hitch)

Brendan Smith
02-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am still going to build instead of buy mostly because i have vacation time coming from my full time job and want to do something other than listen to my kids fight for 4 days (they are 5 and 2). also have access to several welders, shop, and 2 laborers, all for free. After reading your replies I have decided to go with the tandem axle setup as dictated by my plans. thanks for the advice!