PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Installs

Boddie
02-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a new track machine. I will be using it mostly to do new construction installs. (grading, irrigation, plant material and mulch ect...) I've looked at the cat 257b, bobcat T-190, the Tack 130 ect. Which machine do think is the best or am i even looking at the right size machine. I will be using a harley rake, 4 into 1 bucket and an auger. What do you guys think?

qps
02-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a new track machine. I will be using it mostly to do new construction installs. (grading, irrigation, plant material and mulch ect...) I've looked at the cat 257b, bobcat T-190, the Tack 130 ect. Which machine do think is the best or am i even looking at the right size machine. I will be using a harley rake, 4 into 1 bucket and an auger. What do you guys think?

Do a search...we've argued about these machines for months:) welcome to the forum....

ksss
02-15-2006, 09:37 PM
I think that is why no one responded. That horse has been pistol whipped to death hammer

Digdeep
02-15-2006, 11:07 PM
Boddie,

qps and ksss are correct about the past discussions centering on the rubber tracked machines being "plentiful". If you search through forums you will find many discussions focused on the rubber tracked machines. As a former salesman of, and current owner of a rubber tracked machine I would recommend that you ask for demonstrations on all of the units. If I put my "sales hat" on I would tell you to look for a machine that will be "most" sensitive to the surfaces you'll be operating on. All of them have the hydraulic ability to work the harley rake and the auger. I don't have an auger, but I use my harley rake extensively on my RC50. As a landscaper I wouldn't be caught dead without one. Unfinished house pads aren't too much of a concern when it comes to sensitivity on the ground (mainly ruts), but if yu're going to be working on turf, sidewalks, driveways, etc. I'd consider the machine that does the least bit of damage to those surfaces. I chose the RC50 for many reasons, but one driving factor was its low impact on the surfaces I just mentioned. The 257 has the same undercarriage that the RC50 does, but it weighs a ton more (literally) and the majority of its weight is toward the rear of the machine. The Bobcat and the Takeuchi have 12.6" tracks instead of the 15" tracks on the ASV and CAT 257, and the machines are heavy as well. These are just a few things to think of. Good luck in your search, and remember to try them all.

Stroker
02-16-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm in Raleigh too! Like everybody has mentioned, if you do a search you will find a ton on each of those machines. My personal opinion of the machines you listed is just pick one of them. One thing I would consider though is who you would rather deal with AFTER you purchased the machine too.

If you are interested in looking at the ASV's, let me know and I can give you the number of the ASV guy at RW Moore. Great guy and very helpful....

UNISCAPER
02-16-2006, 10:07 AM
We look at servicability and down time before buying anything. All the machines you mention would work just about as well as the next with what you are looking to achieve. But, if the dealer tells you they can't get to you for a day or so when you have a problem, (which happens all the time by the way) that to me is unacceptable. Anytime I have ever called a Caterpillar dealer they have responded within hours and got us up and rolling with minimized lost billable time. There is no one company that understands, and appreciates it's users like Caterpillar does, because they take the attitude that when your machine does not work, you can't make money, and you certainly can't buy more machines. I would ask a dealer long and hard how fast their response time is if/and/or/when you have a problem and I would ask them to give you 3 references of customers they have so you can call and ask them directly.

Boddie
02-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Hey, I really thank you guys for the direction. I think you are right when you say look a service. That's really important when buying a machine.

qps
02-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey, I really thank you guys for the direction. I think you are right when you say look a service. That's really important when buying a machine.

I have a new 257b cat and you will not beat there service....unless you live next door to gravel ratcanada

Scag48
02-16-2006, 09:59 PM
^^Hahahaha. Service is what counts and we have found Cat to be the best there is.

Digdeep
02-16-2006, 10:22 PM
You guys are all correct. Service and product support are huge factors in making a purchase. The CAT dealer up here is fair to good, The bobcat dealer is pretty good, and the ASV dealer has been really good so far. it's evident when a dealer wants and values your business and has the capability to back up his product.