PDA

View Full Version : concrete curbing

buello_13
02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
I was wondering if anyone here does concrete curbing around beds,and what do you charge per ft.

Runner
02-14-2006, 02:06 PM
That's not for you (or us). It's only feasible in warm climate areas. Every year, it would crack because of ground freezing and thawing. We're just flat out disqualified...I think it's discrimination......:realmad: lol

buello_13
02-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I have a freind who was asking me about it ,he's from sc. I told him I have never seen it around here but knew what he was talking about, Ive been in business for 14 yrs and just wondered if that might not be the reason

D Felix
02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Ummmm, after being gone for 7 months, I'll be happy to give the same answer I used to give:
Avoid it like the plague!

Not only is it a tacky appearance (just like red mulch), you are semi-permantly locked into bed areas. With curbing it is hard to expand (or reduce) bed areas without much headaches. Customers will realize this and be hesitant to spend money to tear out something they spent money on....

I'm feeling sick today, you got my nice version.:)

Dan

hoskm01
02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I guess it may be a problem for you there in the cold climate with cracking and you people always doing this "mulching" and having actual beds that are fluid with the lawn. Here however, extruded curbing is a big deal and used in many if not most yards. It doesn't look "tacky" and gives good definition to yards, seperating lawns from rock and driveway areas. I dont do it myself but use a sub-contractor on a regular basis for new installs. Here the price is about 2.25/ft any shape or color with a volume discount over 300 linear feet. Stamping or special effects are extra with stamping at $1.00 extra per foot.

A curbing machine is rather expensive I understand at 3-5 k. Then the setup youll need a trailer to haul sand and cement,mount a mixer, and all your gear, so plan on 15k for a setup to get started. Then you'll have to learn how to use it, which doesnt seem extremely hard, but needs some education.

Nice stuff around here, dont know how it would work for you there in MD.

LB Landscaping
02-17-2006, 12:22 PM
I have been in contact with one of the larger curbing companies for a few weeks, they claim that with a properly prepped base the curbing will be fine with temp fluctuations. They claim they have over 700 distributors in Canada, and the Northern US and have had no problems with cracking due to frost etc.

befnme
02-18-2006, 05:59 PM
i have a friend here that i contract to do it when i do a landscape where it is needed .i pay $3.50 per linear foot .for the cheapest mold and 5.50 for the expensive mold.