PDA

View Full Version : Wood deck vs. Expanded Metal

Smalltimer1
02-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Well as a few of you know, I'm getting ready to expand, and I've outgrown my little 5x8 Carry-On, and I'm looking for a bigger and better trailer. I'm looking something in the 10', 12', or 14' range, large enough to carry the 2 John Deeres as well as my pushmower(s) and other equipment (wheelbarrow, etc.) but small enough to still be easily manageable when I'm going into tight areas, especially on runs to pick up dead mowers and such for repair and sales/service.

I'm debating the wood deck vs. expanded metal deck thing right now. The 5x8 I have now is expanded metal. It has done everything I have asked of it and more. It has been overloaded, overworked and probably seen more miles than most of its Lowes' sold brothers will ever see. I've seen several 5x12 and 6x12 models of various brands (Hudson Bros., ProLine, Texas Bragg, PJ, local shops, etc.) ranging from around $750 to $2000.

I'm leaning towards a wood deck, but I'm not sure if that would yield any apprieciable benefits over the expanded metal. I'm looking at 3500lb. capacity, and standard landscape sides, rear ramp only.