PDA

View Full Version : Coil over shocks....or Timbrens?

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
:waving: I have a Silverado 1500...looking to add a little support to the rear end....just wondering what would work better...the coil over shocks...or the timbrens?....all input is greatly appreciated....

UNISCAPER
02-15-2006, 11:21 AM
What are you looking to achieve exactly? Are you trying to prevent body roll when you pull a trailer or are you trying to add a little more rigid stance? I guess what I need to know is what is your truck/trailer combo doing?

I'm betting when the day is over, you'll find you need to add a leaf or two on the springs, or even install 3/4 ton springs, and add a truck stabilzer, as well as a trailer stabilizer. I'm betting you got three of the issues most commonly complained about with your suspension system.

Coil overs don't work well unless they are your prime source of suspension like what a dune buggy/drag car or road race car uses. Snubber systems will work well for keeping the rear of your truck at it's stock height, but they do very little for roll and sway.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Looking to keep the rear closer to level when I get weight in the bed and the trailer....I have had experience with coil overs before and they worked great.....but have been told the timbrens would work better......the truck I had with the coil overs rode nice without weight and the coil overs would help the springs when I started to add over a few hundred pounds....just looking for someone who has possibly had experience with both and could give a opinion on which is better as "a helper"

South Florida Lawns
02-15-2006, 01:24 PM
get some overload springs in there a heavier set of leaves put in the pack is what I would do. However you will get a crappier ride when the thing is unloaded.

Maybe try a good set of airbags, even though I have heard a lot of people blow them out.

procut
02-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Maybe try a good set of airbags, even though I have heard a lot of people blow them out.
That was my first thought, I had some on a ford once and they worked great.

Gravel Rat
02-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Go with timbrens the coil overs are no good your shock mounts ARE NOT designed to carry a load. If you do use coil overs the shock towers will rip off the chassis or bend the heck out of them

Timbrens are good you never know they are there till you put a load in the truck. You definatly don't want to beef up the suspension with heavier springs especially if you use the truck for a daily driver. Beefing up the suspension in halftons make them very skiddish.