PDA

View Full Version : flyer responce %

theo
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I know this question has been asked alot and i have used the search on this site to get info but iam going to ask it again.What responce percentage do you have by putting flyers in the local newspaper?How many times do you put it in and when would you start doing it,my season starts April first.Also do you have better responces with newspaper inserts or door hangers.I know thier is a lot of varaibles from one person to anothers but any info would be a great help....thanks.

befnme
02-15-2006, 02:54 PM
with flyers and door hangers dont expect to see more than 1 or 2 % return. i dont do the paper because it cost too much for the possible return , i do use the phone book though.

theo
02-15-2006, 03:02 PM
with flyers and door hangers dont expect to see more than 1 or 2 % return. i dont do the paper because it cost too much for the possible return , i do use the phone book though..................Thanks for the reply.From your experince how many times did you do it ,what iam trying to get at is did you put flyers in just once and get 1%/2% or did you do it more than once say like four weeks in a row to get the 1%/2% return.Also how due you find the responce with the phone book?

lawn king
02-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Here in the northeast (southeastern massachusetts) the only form of advertising that really works well is direct mail. The yellow pages worked well in the 1970s but everyone & their brother is in there now. Newspapers don't really do it , in this area anyway. Just MHO over 3 decades in this crazy business.

indyturf
02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I use door hangers, 1-2% is about right. I try to target neighborhoods where I already have customers. I trying something new this year, the 5 top neighborhoods are getting door hangers 3 times. now, then in about 6 weeks they hit them again and again in sept. them more you get your name in front of potential customers the better your chances!

befnme
02-15-2006, 05:32 PM
.................Thanks for the reply.From your experince how many times did you do it ,what iam trying to get at is did you put flyers in just once and get 1%/2% or did you do it more than once say like four weeks in a row to get the 1%/2% return.Also how due you find the responce with the phone book?
i wouldnt bombard them with flyers or they will get tired of seeing them and just file 13 'em .and never read them .i only do it once in a while . as far as the phonebook there are only 2 of us in there so i do pretty good with it . but seriously word of mouth will prob get you the best results.

ArizPestWeed
02-15-2006, 10:01 PM
i wouldnt bombard them with flyers or they will get tired of seeing them and just file 13 'em .and never read them .i only do it once in a while . as far as the phonebook there are only 2 of us in there so i do pretty good with it . but seriously word of mouth will prob get you the best results.
On offense but that's bad info.
post cards should be done over & over , the more the better .
It's like seeing the same comercial , you remember it after so many times.
Word of mouth only works if you have been around a while

kootoomootoo
02-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Can you show me where i buy word of mouth..........calling trugreen in the morning to tell them they dont need a sales force anymore. Hell no company on earth will need one.

indyturf
02-15-2006, 11:45 PM
On offense but that's bad info.
post cards should be done over & over , the more the better .
It's like seeing the same comercial , you remember it after so many times.
Word of mouth only works if you have been around a while
I cant agree enough! if they don't know you want their business there they will call TG. you have to build name recognition. word of mouth is great but if you want to pick up a couple hundred customers it will take a while if that is all you have. most customers aren't going to call the first time they hear of your company so you consistently "drip" your advertising on them.

garydale
02-16-2006, 09:08 AM
We have tried every type of advertising over the years.(2% is average response)

Currently use post cards to addresses and areas we want to work. (no blanketing whole areas)

We design and print our own cards, that way we can change with the pest etc.( Crabgrass,Dandelions,Grubs,Winterizer fert. Bagworms, Jap. Beetle etc.)
Once you creat the basic card, just change it enough to get their attention.

Four cards to a sheet of card stock.

You have to keep your name out there.

ArizPestWeed
02-16-2006, 09:32 AM

Currently use post cards to addresses and areas we want to work. (no blanketing whole areas)

We design and print our own cards, that way we can change with the pest etc.( Crabgrass,Dandelions,Grubs,Winterizer fert. Bagworms, Jap. Beetle etc.)

Very smart.
I have 30.000 printed for $750.00 and do some at home for the changes , very time consumming , though.
I also sometimes put on one side ,"wanta sell your home, give me a call"
1 side is pest control the other is real estate

jason u
02-16-2006, 10:59 AM
.................Thanks for the reply.From your experince how many times did you do it ,what iam trying to get at is did you put flyers in just once and get 1%/2% or did you do it more than once say like four weeks in a row to get the 1%/2% return.Also how due you find the responce with the phone book?

One way to find yellow page response is to post a different number (keyed ad number), and then the phone company can send you detailed info on numbers that have called your keyed number, and see how many of them actually converted to customers. Its a little pricey, but worth it if you want to compare cost to results.

FINN
02-16-2006, 12:53 PM

Gary,

Did you have to purchase special equipment to print the cards or any software programs for designing the cards?

Thanks,
Finn

garydale
02-17-2006, 09:12 AM
No special equipment.
Gateway 2004 with Windows XP
Created on Microsoft Word 2003 and used clipart or scaned pictures.
Use HP PSC 2355 printer.

baddboygeorge
02-17-2006, 04:37 PM
i usually average 8-9% but remember i have been doing the same areas for 12 years .Flyers are my main source of advertisement!!

newhort
02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I use 3 fold flyers on heavy stock. Full color both sides. I put out my hand in mail boxes twice a year. In the neighborhoods I want to work in. 2-3 % return. I also but the adress of about 10 lawns they can drive and see. I will go into a subdivision and talk to the owner of the first house. Give them a great price on agreement that I can put a small 12" by 8" sign. This gets me more business then anything. Also use your customers to promote you. Give discounts for good leads they give you. Also work in neighborhoods after 5:30 so the men and women that work can but a face to the name they see on the flyer.

indyturf
02-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I use 3 fold flyers on heavy stock. Full color both sides. I put out my hand in mail boxes twice a year. In the neighborhoods I want to work in. 2-3 % return. I also but the adress of about 10 lawns they can drive and see. I will go into a subdivision and talk to the owner of the first house. Give them a great price on agreement that I can put a small 12" by 8" sign. This gets me more business then anything. Also use your customers to promote you. Give discounts for good leads they give you. Also work in neighborhoods after 5:30 so the men and women that work can but a face to the name they see on the flyer.
I would be really carefull putting anything inside the mailbox. I was fined last year for putting flyer's on the mailbox, I believe it is a federal offense if you get caught putting anything inside a mailbox!

ArizPestWeed
02-19-2006, 02:01 PM
One way to find yellow page response is to post a different number (keyed ad number), and then the phone company can send you detailed info on numbers that have called your keyed number, and see how many of them actually converted to customers. Its a little pricey, but worth it if you want to compare cost to results.
A friend of mine did that and he kept track of the cals too.
Most were HIS own clients looking for him , so ,

Turfdoctor1
02-20-2006, 10:45 AM

this sounds like great advice. cheap price for the first house in the neighborhood to gain more business. that is a great idea. i'll have to try it.