PDA

View Full Version : Dump Bed Conversion

Daves Propert Maintenance
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Does anyone have a regular pickup truck that has the hydraulic lift and dump kit installed?

I have a 97 F150 and there is not a kit made for my truck. I am looking for anyone with any knowledge of this or some helpful insight. A dump bed conversion ($900) is much cheaper than an insert ($2500), and I also like the weight savings.

Let me know what is the best way to go.

LawnScapers of Dayton
02-15-2006, 05:51 PM
typically conversions will only destroy your bed over time. Beds are not designed for lifting. The only kit I have seen that even starts to make sense is at www.stealthdumptrucks.com.....

D

beautifullawns
02-16-2006, 03:47 PM
I think in order to do either you need a bigger truck. Some pros and cons of both. If you make you bed dump then you have to remove you bumper or lose you hitch. I have seen two trucks in the area with this. Liberty has one and it doesn't have a hitch and theres a 3/4 ton chevy, I believe they are called "cut right" his plate is "MOW4U" and he doesn't have a bumper. I had the easy dumper insert and liked it but it weighs a lot. Just the insert dropped my 1 ton an inch. After a days mowing with the weight of the grass trailer with equipment and insert my truck was dropped about 5 inches. If you have the funds available buy an old 86-90 dump or something like that to get you through. When you start needing to haul mulch, Let me know I know of places to get great deals, You'll need a dump. And come fall clean up time its a must have.

Daves Propert Maintenance
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
I was also considering putting a truck loader with plywood box on the back for fall, and using the loader to empty it. Any thoughts?
I don't think that a dump is in the cards for me right now, but maybe in a few years...

STAN1366
02-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Years ago I had one of these dump beds on my '73 Ford F-250. I'm not sure who the manufacture was. It was on a wrecked truck I bought to replace the bed on my truck. I used it for 10 years dumping mulch, firewood, stone, gravel, dirt, etc. It wasn't as sturdy and a regular dump truck body, but 95%of the time I didn't need a dump truck anyway. I sold the truck a few years ago and I sure do miss that dump feature. I'm putting one on the truck I just bought this spring. If it's your truck and you only need a dump now and then I'd say it's well worth the money. If you're going to get into some heavy hauling then go for a dump truck.