PDA

View Full Version : Price for tilling 1 acre of ground.

Daren
04-16-2001, 07:05 PM
Just curious as to what others charge for tilling an acre and half? Guy wants it tilled up to replant his grass. Just bought a new tractor a short time ago. Tilled several yards about 5000 sq ft with no problem. Just dont want to way overcharge or way undercharge, Just asking for ideas. Thanks!!!

Daren

Daren
04-16-2001, 07:07 PM
oh yeah. its about 3/4 wide open and a fewe trees on the rest.

Daren

Pauls Mowing
04-16-2001, 07:38 PM
I'd do it for $30.00 per hour. There are a few things to consider here, and Sioux Falls is a long way from you, which means price differences. If you want to do tilling work on a regular basis and keep the customers coming in, keep it reasonable. But then again, what ever the market will bear also works if it's one time thing. I've found for the long haul, being fair is best.

Paul

EarthTech Landscapes
04-17-2001, 02:02 AM
Your using your tractor, your fuel, etc. i wouldn't do it for any less then 55.00 per hr. keeping in mind that you still have your time of sitting on the tractor as well. 30 per hour would be a screamin deal.

paul
04-17-2001, 10:52 AM
I always have a hard time pricing out jobs like this on a per hr bases. Has anybody here tried to figure out their per hr cost of the machine,(fuel, service, operator, replacement cost,loan payments)?
I just wonder if anybody tracks fuel usage on their machines.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1504403&a=11355595&p=46713315&Sequence=0&res=high
Ok it's small but it might give you a different look at your prices. You can go here to see a diferent view http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1504403&a=11355595&p=46713315&Sequence=0&res=high

[Edited by paul on 04-17-2001 at 11:14 AM]

Pauls Mowing
04-17-2001, 07:59 PM
Its interesting how prices vary through out the US. Earth, thats great if you can get the $, but out here, it just won't fly at that rate.

Paul, I know exactly what each piece of equipment I own costs to operate. It's the only way I know I'm making money. I have some flexability in pricing jobs, but I know where my low end is, and the other end is what the market will bear. I'm not in the same catagory as most of the folks here, I run my little niche market, and do quite well at it. I mainly stay in the right-of-way mowing, although have a few commercial accounts. I try hard to stay out of the residential market, but it doesn't always work out that way. I have a job tomorrow, a very small weed area on a hill, will take all of 30 minutes, and the agreed bill is $90.00. But then again, If you're the only dog in town with a show,(no one else wants to do it) whatever the market will bear.

Paul

cmcfalls
04-18-2001, 07:27 AM
When I started in this buisness I tried too seek advice on pricing from others, but found its hard to do seek advice on pricing. Everyone has a different outlook on what you should earn an hour. You just have to consider cost and what you want to make an hour to make a living. Dont cut price to get job, that just doesnt work. Find an hourly rate you can live with and stick with it. Good luck.