PDA

View Full Version : Iggrigation....I mean irrigation :)

6.9Driver
04-16-2001, 10:25 PM
Hey everyone. Been landscaping for about 3 years now. I would say 80% of the jobs we do are irrigated in one way or another.

We use the black flexible poly piping and mostly Rain Bird products.

Anyways, a few questions. When putting barbed (ridged) poly fittings on pipe (1", 3/4", 1/2") is it ok to torch the ends to let the pipe melt a little to the fitting and also to help it seat better. Then of course clamp it on. I saw them do it on Home Savvy or Home Time or something, lol. My boss says no, we just spit in it to help it slide on, no leaks this way either. Just a pain with gloves on most times!

Also, should I suggest renting a vibrating pipe puller? Those darn trenchers are a pain in the butt and make a mess. And now the once to-grade trenches settled after we got our last foot of snow.

So I will leave it at that for now. Thanks guys.
Nick

paul
04-16-2001, 10:44 PM
A plow is the only way to go unless you have very rocky soil then you need a trencher

smithsonmi
04-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Pipe pulling is the only way to go. We pulled 3000 ft with two guys in less than 1/2 a day. then you dig down for each sprinkler placement (we use a tee barb with a short length of poly pipe to connect to sprinkler..easy for placement and will not break if pushed down later by tractor or auto) and for each junction.

We used a torch to LIGHTLY heat up the pipe and slip on the fittings...let it cool a little before clamping (stainless crimp clamps) as to not deform the pipe. NO leaks.

Use multiple clamps in constant pressure situations or larger poly pipe like 1.5 in.

6.9Driver
04-18-2001, 08:46 AM
Thanks Smith. Like Paul said the pullers work unless there are a lot of rocks. Well this is the rocky mountains and the trencher hits a rock at most jobs every ten feet, haha. I will see if my boss changed his mind about the torch idea :)

Thanks guys.