PDA

View Full Version : won't start

1MajorTom
02-16-2006, 05:08 PM
85 dodge used as a backup, the problem is i have no ignition power, no headlights, nothing. battery IS good. terminals are super clean. what's the next thing I need to look for?
Matt

tteckster
02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
85 dodge used as a backup, the problem is i have no ignition power, no headlights, nothing. battery IS good. terminals are super clean. what's the next thing I need to look for?
Matt
I would check the other end of the ground cable coming from the battery.

grass_cuttin_fool
02-16-2006, 08:01 PM
Not sure about a Dodge, but some of the 80's model chevys would do that and it would be a bad wire on the starter solenoid, One of the wires were the main power for alot of the systems, Also like stated above check the ground, 90% of all electrical problems are faulty grounds

wayne

CLARK LAWN
02-16-2006, 10:54 PM
check all grounds and connections at the battery and the starter. check for voltage at the starter that is the junction for all your electric components.

sheshovel
02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
are the terminals tight?Still sounds like your batt may be good but needs charging try jumping it.

John Gamba
02-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Check your cab ground.

jkkalbers
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
I just had the exact same thing happen with my 86 f250 backup plow truck. The guy was plowing fine with it and he started his next run and it just quit completely died. I found the problem to be a loose ground cable if it was bumped just right it stopped making contact and everything died. It tightened it up and everything is running fine so far. But it hasn't plowed since then.

UNISCAPER
02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
How much air pressure is in the right front tire? LOL

check and clean your grounds just like everyone else has said..

lawnboy dan
02-19-2006, 11:59 AM
fuseable link?

Allen's LS
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Always check your Grounds, Fuses, and Breakers first. :drinkup:

Lawn Masters
02-19-2006, 02:57 PM
possibly a bad ground cable from the battery. I experienced this on an 83 ranger, it took me 3 days to think of it, but after I did, it worked perfectly. new battery cable, some time and I was back on the road.

try putting a jumper cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the frame, and see if it works then, if so, its the ground cable from battery.

1MajorTom
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
fuseable link?
You were the closest. After putting a test light to every wire possible, I narrowed it down to a blown fuseable link. So, i dig into the wiring harness and find the fuseable links. None are blown and they all feel tight, not spongy. So I'm like, "what the heck?" Right before the fuseable links, there is a rubber junction box. I cut a little slice into that main wire and checked it with a test light. No power. I checked the other positive source that delivers power to that wire and it had power. So I started tearing into the factory wiring tape and loam and I started finding a green powdery substance along the base of the wires. Until finally I hit the source, about a foot before the fuseable links, the positive battery cable lead corroded in half. Corrected the problem, the old Dodge is running better than ever, and it got a new starter as a bonus.
Matt

fga
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
i was going to direct you to Metro lawn. he has several mid 80's dodges like i had. i\m sure he could have told you exactly what to do.

befnme
02-24-2006, 12:55 AM
does it even turn over ? of not cound be a fuse or a bad relay under the hood.

befnme
02-24-2006, 01:01 AM
oops i guess i shoulda read the whole thing you already fixed it..