PDA

View Full Version : Ford guys, a lil' help

Meadowbrook
02-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I have a 2000 F-250. Good truck, can't really complain except for 1 thing that really bugs the hell out of me. When driving at a steady pace, usually in OD at 1600-1800 RPM's the truck feels like it has a slight 'bucking' to it. My buddy has the same truck as me and his does it, but doesn't seem like it's as noticable as mine. Any ideas what it might be?

Chris

Gravel Rat
02-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Whats powering your truck ?

lawnmaniac883
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
I will assume this is a diesel, if so then you are experiencing "surging". Do you have any chips/programmers or upgraded turbochargers on your truck?

Meadowbrook
02-16-2006, 08:43 PM
Yep, it's a 7.3, I had a programmer on it, but then thought that it may be causing the surging so I returned the truck back to stock. Still does it, just not as bad. What does it and how can I fix it. Just gets on my nerves.

earthtrends
02-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Meadowbrook mine is a 04 with the 6.0. Ford had a recall on the fuel injection harness. I had mine replaced twice. Does yours blow black smoke out the pipe when it surges?

lwcmattlifter
02-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Is it an auto or manual trans? I would check the computer to see if it's throwing any codes.

lawnmaniac883
02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
How many miles on this rig? I am a cummins guy myself but what programmer did you have on this engine? TST, Edge, banks?? More information available the easier it is to help ya.

Meadowbrook
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Earth.........doesn't blow any smoke except when I jump on the gas

LWC..........it's an automatic

LAWN........74,000 miles.....I had a Hypertech Tuner on it, but since had taken it off. The only codes that it threw were when it was on. 1 for the cam sensor, 1 for something with my air conditioning, and 1 for a wastegate thing. The weird thing is that these trucks don't even have a true wastegate on the turbo, they have a relief valve instead. So I dunno. I haven't scanned it yet but will in the next few days to see if any codes came back. The help is appreciated, if ya know of anything else let me know. Thanks guys.

Chris

Lawn Masters
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Your Cam position sensor is going out. its common to the 7.3 to have this problem. replace the CPS, and keep a spare, plus 10mm socket in the glove box unless you like being towed home all the time.

Smalltimer1
02-16-2006, 09:36 PM
Your Cam position sensor is going out. its common to the 7.3 to have this problem. replace the CPS, and keep a spare, plus 10mm socket in the glove box unless you like being towed home all the time.

CPS change takes all of 15 mins. Better than a $300 tow bill for a part the size of a D cell battery.

captken
02-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Have you washed your engine lately?

I did and it took a week for everything to dry out and codes to return to normal...I got codes from all over the place. I unplugged and replugged every electric connector to be sure they were not wet.

Pull codes again and read them.

My codes pointed to the hpop, the icp, and the cam sensor....

captken
02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Have you washed your engine lately?

I did and it took a week for everything to dry out and codes to return to normal...I got codes from all over the place. I unplugged and replugged every electric connector to be sure they were not wet.

Pull codes again and read them.

My codes pointed to the hpop, the icp, and the cam sensor....if you don't have a guide, post the results here and I will interpret your results here.
A wastegate is a relief valve.......you have a "true wastegate"

BTW, the Hypertech programmer is junk, IMOP.
kenny

lawnmaniac883
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM

Forgot all about the cam sensor. I will say that I am 90% sure this will fix it. clapping

stroker51
02-17-2006, 03:38 PM
If the CPS doesn't fix it, or you havent already figured out what is wrong, go to dieselstop.com and see what those guys think is wrong. These fellas know their psd's. I have noticed that my 96 w/a 5 speed does this occasionally, but only when it is like 25 degrees outside and i have my cruise set, and the truck is still relatively cold (wastegate still opening at low R's) I only feel the surge, RPM's dont change speed doesn't change, at least by gauges, so i dunno. it might be somthing to do with the wastegate, since you only really notice the wastegate opening when it is cold. But anway, i would post about it on dieselstop and see what those guys think too.

captken
02-17-2006, 04:02 PM
If the CPS doesn't fix it, or you havent already figured out what is wrong, go to dieselstop.com and see what those guys think is wrong. These fellas know their psd's. i would post about it on dieselstop and see what those guys think too.

Very good advise. Don't listen to all the "mow boys" here and end up pizzing away good money in an vain attempt to try and track down what is probably an electrical problem with this engine.

Join and post your question at www.dieselstop.com

kenny:) flame on....:angry:

Meadowbrook
02-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Ok, I'll go ask those guys, I finally got around to getting the cam sensor today. I just couldn't bring myself to spend $160 on something smaller than my cell phone............did it anyway. I agree that the Hypertech isn't the greatest. Although I liked the extra HP's, I don't want my truck to suffer because of it. I will see if I can return it and order a 4" exhaust kit for the truck. Also, what do you guys recommend to get more power? I'm not into ripping my motor apart and getting the heads machined or anything like that (although, I would love to have a bigger turbo....), but there's got to be some bolt-ons that will give you a noticable HP increase. Let me know.

Chris

captken
02-17-2006, 04:16 PM
Join www.dieselstop.com and find the answer to your questions.

Intake, exhaust, programmers, ect.

It's all there.

lwcmattlifter
02-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Unless the truck has a loping idle or hard start warm/cold I would doubt it's the CPS giving you problems. It it possible but I would look at the ICP first. Try unplugging the ICP and see if it runs any better. You will get a CEL but it won't hurt anything. The other thing I would look is the IPR valve.

stroker51
02-18-2006, 09:36 PM
Meadowbrook, as far as power upgrades, the guys at dieselstop can spend your money very quickly, not that this is a bad thing, but the possibilities for our trucks are almost endless. I have the Edge Evolution programmer in my 96, HUGE difference. The programmer is nice because it also has a code reader in it if you ever need it. I think my next steps are going to be to get a tymar intake, just gets rid of stock airbox and has a open filter, MUCH quicker turbo spool, lets the truck breathe better. I'm going to get a 3 in downpipe too, keep EGT's cooler, and probably replace my programmer with a custom burnt chip from somebody on diesel stop. I guess to answer your original question though, as far as bolt on stuff, intake, downpipe, 4 in straight pipe, and a GOOD chip would be the best place to start. Performance injectors are in my future as well, since i will be right in next to them when i replace my glow plugs, you are only limited by your checkbook! Once you start playing with the power a little, all that will be on your face is a big :D

Stafford Landscaping
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I have a 2000 F-250 6 speed and I use a Superchip programable chip and I have always liked it. Plenty of power I can usually keep up with the little jap cars on the interstate drives them crazy to see a big ford grill in there back window and then see it go buy them with a cloud of smoke following too.

Meadowbrook
02-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Unless the truck has a loping idle or hard start warm/cold I would doubt it's the CPS giving you problems. It it possible but I would look at the ICP first. Try unplugging the ICP and see if it runs any better. You will get a CEL but it won't hurt anything. The other thing I would look is the IPR valve.

Ok, I know a few things about diesels, but not the abbreviations. What the hell is an ICP? I know what the CEL is, Check Engine Light...right? Let me know.

captken
02-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, I know a few things about diesels, but not the abbreviations. What the hell is an ICP? I know what the CEL is, Check Engine Light...right? Let me know.

go here, http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/tech.htm

Open glossary for acronyms explanation.

You may want to check out the diagnosis by symptom below that.

lwcmattlifter
02-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Sorry about that. ICP = Injector control pressure.

captken
02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
read the links provided in recent posts plus this one to learn more about troubleshooting and upgrading your truck.
kenny:) ICP= INJECTION control pressure.

This one is V E R Y helpful http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1173329&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

captken
02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
your welcome...