PDA

View Full Version : Raised bed question.....

Drafto
02-16-2006, 11:10 PM
In order to put a raised bed on the corner of this house does the veneer need to treated with anything or insulated. I have done raised beds up against concrete foundations but it just doesn't seem right to put dirt right up against that pretty veneer. What do you guys normally do? Does it get special paint or insulation? What about termites, am I inviting them in?

Dan

kris
02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
I've used a plastic type membrane that roofers use...its corrugated and very thin ..sorry I cant think of the name of it right now.

hortiscape
02-17-2006, 12:16 AM
we usually use pea stone next to the house along the drip edge.

sheshovel
02-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Pull the bed out and away from thee house foundation about 1'then put your raised bed edging
all the way around your mound

Drafto
02-17-2006, 12:50 AM
Pull the bed out and away from thee house foundation about 1'then put your raised bed edging

So you are saying put a retaining wall all the way around? Up against the house?

Dan

UNISCAPER
02-17-2006, 12:56 AM
If you are going to put dirt on the house, paint the veneer with thuro-seal. Make a slurry and use a quart of Acryl-60 per bag then pain it over the spot you want to cover.

YardPro
02-19-2006, 09:14 AM

can you go into more detail about this???

he will need some sort of wall along the backside of the bed to hold the soil. if not the bed will taper towards the back of the bed towards the house. and water will shed that way

you can put the bed directly against the rock, just as said earlier, use a rock and fabric strip at the edge of the house, and install a drain that will drain off to the low side around the corner (the way it goes now)