PDA

View Full Version : Ridding Blue Rug of Chickweed?

Jake55
02-17-2006, 12:01 AM
One of my clients has an area of Blue Rug that is 95 yards X 15 yards. Even though this Blue Rug is mature with a full, dense spread, every spring I get Chickweed coming through. I have asked my chemical supplier what to use but I think they are in the dark with this because nothing has worked so far. Thanks in advance for help and/or suggestions.

GrazerZ
02-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Check out labels of Gallery and snapshot. I'm pretty sure its listed, I can't get the site to load that gives me this info right now.

maintenanceguy
02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Listed? Not sure.

But Surflan, Treflan, or some similar premergent would not harm the juniper and would knock down most of the problem for next year...and maybe the year after.

garydale
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Pre-emergent as mentioned before.
Chickweed is a winter annual an needs to be stopped in the fall.
Apply Pre's before soil temp drops below 50 degrees.

Jake55
02-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Pre-emergent as mentioned before.
Chickweed is a winter annual an needs to be stopped in the fall.
Apply Pre's before soil temp drops below 50 degrees.
May be winter annual where you are but down here in NC it flourishes in early spring until the heat kills it down.
Thanks to all for your responses. I will check out the products you mentioned.

garydale
02-17-2006, 10:43 AM
May be winter annual where you are but down here in NC it flourishes in early spring until the heat kills it down.
Thanks to all for your responses. I will check out the products you mentioned.

It florishes because it germinated last fall. Get the products, that were recommended, down in the fall before soil temp goes down 50 +/- degrees.

A class in weed science might help too.

kickin sum grass
02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
jake55

thats the exact definition of a winter annual.