PDA

View Full Version : violets and nimblewill

mrkosar
02-17-2006, 11:30 AM
i have a customer who has been plagued by violets and nimblewill. i've heard that Surge is a good herbicide to take care of the violets. any suggestions or opinions?

also he is going to try and round up the nimblewill area and replace it with turf type tall fescue. will one time round up take care of this pesky grassy weed? what TTTF seed do you recommend?

RABBITMAN11
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
nimble is tough better round up, more than once might even suggest using a tiller to till it all up and than round up again! Still not 100%

C.T. Lawn Care
02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
While i was at purdue last winter getting my pesticide licence they said that there is a product coming out in the next year or so that will selectivly kill nimblewil. They also said that it is VERY expensive. So your best bet would be to round up, till, round up, wait, round up. This stuff is very hard to kill!

FINN
02-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I was at a turf conference last month and nimblewill was discussed. I took some notes during the discussions and they are testing a product called Mesotrione (syngenta) and it is expected to be ready for the turf market in next 2 years.

If I read my notes correctly it was also discussed you can apply Turflon in the spring and fall 2 to 4 times @ 1-2 qts/ac - .75 - 1.5 oz/k. Hand weed in the summer and be expected to make a real commitment over time for it to work. Not 100% guarantee.

I'm looking forward to the Mesotrione.

NattyLawn
02-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Nimblewill...What a PITA....Some customers had Scyhte put down and then slit seeded them. Nimblewill still came back. Others we had scalp down, slice seed and hope for the best. Tell the customer to mow at 3' or above to keep the turf as thick as possible to outcompete the nimblewill.

TOMMY1115
02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Nimblewill...What a PITA....Some customers had Scyhte put down and then slit seeded them. Nimblewill still came back. Others we had scalp down, slice seed and hope for the best. Tell the customer to mow at 3' or above to keep the turf as thick as possible to outcompete the nimblewill.

Unfortunatly, Scythe alone won't kill anything anyway. It'll burn it down, but that's about all. Have to use Roundup Pro or similar with it.

indyturf
02-17-2006, 04:30 PM
after you have green-up in the nimblewill then spray it with round-up wait 2 weeks spray it again wait a week, rake as much of it out as you can and overseed the area.

The Ranger
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Nobody addressed his violet question. We used (past tense) confront, but it has been removed from the market. If you still have some great....no we use Drive with pretty good results, although I have read other posts where it wasn't effective. Also a 3way 'ester' works well in early spring.

NattyLawn
02-18-2006, 11:17 AM
We had some success hitting the violets twice about 2 weeks apart last fall with 3 way/confront cocktail but won't be using the confront this year either...Ag only for confront...