PDA

View Full Version : Michigan applicator's exams

Green Leaves
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi,
I'm taking the exams at the end of the month (Both Core, ornamentals, and right of way) and wondered if anyone from Michigan has taken the tests. I know the material rather well and I think I should do fine. Any words of advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for you replies.
Sean

Grassmechanic
02-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Study the questions at the end of each chapter.

Runner
02-18-2006, 04:01 PM
That is basically about it.....You're doing you're turfgrass too, right? Know your laws,...(636, etc.). And know ALL the safety stuff.......That is a big area that is emphasized on them. Good luck on them..I hope you do well! :)

Grassmechanic
02-18-2006, 07:01 PM
That is basically about it.....You're doing you're turfgrass too, right? Know your laws,...(636, etc.). And know ALL the safety stuff.......That is a big area that is emphasized on them. Good luck on them..I hope you do well! :)
The state finally wised up and offered a combination test that covers turf, ornamentals and right of way all in one test.

Runner
02-18-2006, 10:27 PM
That's right....I remember reading somewhere that they were going to do that.

naturescape
02-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Runner is correct about the fact that MI is big on making sure you know what each law covers, like 637 vs 636, osha laws, etc.

The combo test talked about is optional.

You'll do fine on the test. But read the sections on the laws again.

Green Leaves
02-19-2006, 12:43 PM
thanks guys for your information...I really appreciate it.

Tscape
02-19-2006, 02:59 PM
I just took my renewal again this year for the 6 or 7th time. When am I going to go to turf conference 2 years in a row, both days and opt out of that stupid test?

Take the 6J I think they call it, combo as mentioned. All the other advice given is dead nuts on.

Grassmechanic
02-20-2006, 09:21 AM
I just took my renewal again this year for the 6 or 7th time. When am I going to go to turf conference 2 years in a row, both days and opt out of that stupid test?

Take the 6J I think they call it, combo as mentioned. All the other advice given is dead nuts on.
I used to go to the seminars and get my credits also. Now, if I go to the seminars I don't even bother with the seminar credits. Why?? The state has an atrocious record keeping history and I was always being short changed on my credits. Now, if I miss a seminar, it's no big deal. It only takes an hour or so of my time every 3 years to take the test. I'd hate to figure out how many DAYS in seminars that I'd have to take in order to meet the credit requirements.:dizzy:

naturescape
02-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I used to go to the seminars and get my credits also. Now, if I go to the seminars I don't even bother with the seminar credits. Why?? The state has an atrocious record keeping history and I was always being short changed on my credits. Now, if I miss a seminar, it's no big deal. It only takes an hour or so of my time every 3 years to take the test. I'd hate to figure out how many DAYS in seminars that I'd have to take in order to meet the credit requirements.:dizzy:

I can't figure out why anyone would go to the seminars instead of taking the test, timewise anyway.

stumper1620
02-20-2006, 11:01 AM
I can't figure out why anyone would go to the seminars instead of taking the test, timewise anyway.
I agree, a little refreasher reading, 1 afternoon and all recerts are done

Tscape
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
The fact is its the same crap over and over with a narrow focus on safety/regulations. Turf conference is stimulating and further educates you in your field. You can learn things there that you would never learn in the field. But then again you may never use them in the field. An example of this was a talk I heard from the Ingham county drain commisioner on treating storm drain water using ponds on a golf course. That was good stuff. Plus, what else are you doing the 3rd week of January?

tjgray
02-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree, a little refreasher reading, 1 afternoon and all recerts are done

Please tell me your secret. Are you saying that instead of getting required CEU's that you just re-take the test? I am asking because well if you read my other post we are kind of struggling to get the last two credits before it comes time to renew.

If you just re-take the test does that mean you don't need any CEU's?

Thanks ya'll for your feedback:)

Grassmechanic
02-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Please tell me your secret. Are you saying that instead of getting required CEU's that you just re-take the test? I am asking because well if you read my other post we are kind of struggling to get the last two credits before it comes time to renew.

Yes. CEU's or re-taking the test is all that is required to keep your credentials up to date.

Grassmechanic
02-20-2006, 01:25 PM
You are absolutely right! However, I know of a couple guys that are so afraid of taking tests, that they'll do anything to get out of it, including tying up a whole day in travel just for a couple of credits.

The only reason I attend seminars is to keep abreast of the new developments in the green industry.:waving:

stumper1620
02-20-2006, 03:20 PM

right! test or CEU's either one is accepted. but, going to the CEU's you do get some input on rule changes ect. that you otherwise wouldn't catch. such as the plastic bed liner law for pick ups (big NO NO to have one of them and hual chems.)

stumper1620
02-20-2006, 03:31 PM
right! test or CEU's either one is accepted. but, going to the CEU's you do get some input on rule changes ect. that you otherwise wouldn't catch. such as the plastic bed liner law for pick ups (big NO NO to have one of them and hual chems.)
By the way,
now that I brought that up, I was gonna ask the MDA officers if using a cross box tool box would be acceptible, so I won't need to get rid of my box liner.
anybody know if that is acceptible? Otherwise I need to call.