PDA

View Full Version : New Lawn ?'s

CLC03
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
One of my customers planted grass in mid September. It came up fairly well, but most of it never got to point where it needed to be mowed. I did mow it(at 1 3/4") once to cut down the few unsitely weeds. The customer did fertilize the lawn with some form of winterizer in early November. My question is: Should I apply a pre-emergent or wait until I mow it 3-4 times and apply a post-emergent? My thought right now is to fertilize it in late April and then about the first week in June apply a good weed-n-feed. What are your thoughts?:confused:

indyturf
02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
if it was seeded in sept. most of the grass should already be germinated. I would go ahead with a fert and pre-m treatment in late march/early April and weed-control in may. if there are any thin spots you can rake up the area and reseed if needed. then I would plan on aeration and over-seeding in early sept.

CLC03
02-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the input. Around here the soil temperatures are still too low during late March/early April to apply pre-m. Most guys apply at the earliest April 15 and at the latest May 15 depending on soil temps. I usually apply pre-m around before May 1 cause I do not want to take a chance on applying too late. Do many guys apply pre-m twice? Just curious.

indyturf
02-17-2006, 03:47 PM
if you put it down at full rate 1 app should do. some guys do a split app and do 2 apps. but it really doesn't matter as long as you get enough down at the right time.