PDA

View Full Version : Am I a PITA customer?

K&L Landscaping
02-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Lengthy story so I will try to summarize. Bought a ***** (don't want to use company's name but I'm sure you know who) Spacesaver 200 gallon sprayer 2-14-06. Also, bought my 46-0-0 Urea and ***** 3.3 Pre-M for my Feb. apps. Tested the sprayer at the service center to make sure everything was in good working order and it was. Get up the next morning and mix my tank with 225 lbs. Urea and 130 oz. of Pre-M. Go to the first lawn and BAM, pump goes out. Take's at least one week to get a pump. So now what am I to do with 200 gallons of product that will be no good by the time the sprayer is fixed. I think ***** should credit me for the wasted chemicals since this is a brand new sprayer that is under a 2 year warranty. Am I unreasonable to expect this? Should I just eat about $150 of wasted product that's not my fault? What would you guy's do?

Jason Rose
02-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Well if you did in fact run water through it first and it worked fine before you loaded the chemical into it then I would think that the salesman would try to help you out. How did the pump "go out"? blow a diaphragm? or completly self destruct? Was their OIL in the pump? was the top diaphragm set to the correct pressure? If it was a mechanical defect then yes I would bet your salesperson would gladly push some extra product your way to keep you happy. If the pump blew because of operator neglect then that's a different story...

The salesmen at our (somewhat) local Lesco are usually pretty good about making good on failed proudcts.

indyturf
02-17-2006, 08:52 PM
I would think the fert would still be good. if you are concerned about the pre-m just add to it. but IMHO it would also still be ok. did you dissolve your urea completely? if not that could have caused the failure. when I use to use urea I would stir it while filling with a plastic paddle, it really helped dissolve the urea and potash.

K&L Landscaping
02-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Yea, I dissolve my Urea in a 5 gallon bucket then pour it into the tank through the strainer, I know the Urea was completely dissolved and their was not any signs of any granules in the strainer either. The pump will not build any pressure.

somo1
02-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Sounds like you may have to much pressure in the top diaphram. When it is over inflated it reverses and cannot build any pressure because their is nothing working against the other side. Check it by bleeding the air off of it, and unbolting the top cap and see if it is inverted. Good luck

DUSTYCEDAR
02-17-2006, 11:33 PM
that sprayer doesent have a d30 pump on it

coyoteman
02-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Does your pump have an agitator. If so check to make sure the line inside the tank never came off. This has happened to me before and it acts like there is no pressure because it is all being put into the tank. Just a thought.

turfmann
02-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Agreeing with everything above...

There is a ball valve directly to the rear of the pressure regulator. In the up position it pressurizes the hose reel, in the down position it bypasses the hose reel and returns the fluid through the venturi, agitating the tank mix.

I think that I forget to switch the ball valve at lease twice a day - always 300 feet away from the truck when I realize it.

Even if you totally trashed your pump, they're easy enough to work on.

I call this "new machine disease"

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
02-18-2006, 08:05 AM
It sure sounds like the urea did not have time to dissolve which totally plugged the strainer. This will often cause premature diaphragm failure. Even though Lesco is our competitor I am not sure that there was anything wrong with the pump other than running with restricted suction. We manufacture strainer bags specifically for dissolving Urea. They hold a complete bag so you can dissolve it with the pump running without risk of damage. It also helps to catch any impurities in the fert before they get to your system strainer. A stainer bag for a 12" lid, 200 gallon tank cost $ 40.00 Good luck.

kickin sum grass
02-18-2006, 08:39 AM
i've been disolving 46-0-0 for years by pouring it into the screen and then turning the hose on and refilling as it disolves. Never had an issue with it not disolving. I would think some kind of check vavle or something is stuck.

K&L Landscaping
02-18-2006, 08:51 AM
I can assure you the Urea was completly dissolved. No signs of any granules what-so-ever in the screen.

philk17088
02-18-2006, 09:49 AM
If the pump housing it self isn't broke all you probably need is new diaphragms. I can't believe that lesco wouldn't have those in stock?
If not, they definetaley could have gotten them overnighted.

indyturf
02-18-2006, 11:56 AM
It sure sounds like the urea did not have time to dissolve which totally plugged the strainer. This will often cause premature diaphragm failure. Even though Lesco is our competitor I am not sure that there was anything wrong with the pump other than running with restricted suction. We manufacture strainer bags specifically for dissolving Urea. They hold a complete bag so you can dissolve it with the pump running without risk of damage. It also helps to catch any impurities in the fert before they get to your system strainer. A stainer bag for a 12" lid, 200 gallon tank cost $ 40.00 Good luck.
now that looks like a good idea! I don't use urea any longer, but on more than one occasion I had the strainer get clogged because I was in a hurry and didn't get the urea dissolved.

philk17088
02-18-2006, 01:38 PM
I use a spacesaver for tree spraying and ferting. I dissolve the tree fert in hot water and never had any problems.
If the urea was the problem the strainer on the suction line should have caught it all. The only other thing icould think of is that the pump cavitated.