PDA

View Full Version : Ideal block for 15 ft high wall?

mrusk
02-17-2006, 11:35 PM
I might have a chance to bid a 80 ft long 15ft high retaining wall at a residential house. I have not spoken with the homeowner yet, another contractor working at the house passed my info on to them. He passed my info on to them before i knew how high the wall needed to be.

In my mind it makes perfect sense to use redi rock for this job. After the base is level i think i could build this wall in 2-3 days with a helper. And i'll save a ton of time on excavation and not using geo grid. I just don't know if the homeowner will go for it. It just seems like it will be 10 times more work to use typical keystone block. The other contractor told me access is 'real bad'. Redi rock might be alot more cost efficent if i can just crane it in.

BTW i know the wall will need to be engineered and this is not my first wall ever. I've built a ton of walls, just never this tall.

If the home owner calls me and i go look at it i'll post more info. This job could really start my spring off well, or could put me out of my business. But belive me, if i see the site and have any doubt in my mind about being 100% capable of doing this wall i plan to pass.

Matt

YardPro
02-18-2006, 07:07 AM
you will have to do whatever the engineer says...

i have never seen a wall that tall without grid..but am not familliar with redi rock.

kris
02-18-2006, 08:28 AM
And i'll save a ton of time on excavation and not using geo grid.

Im not familiar with redi rock either but why wouldnt you need geo grid?

You will defiantly need it engineered.

cgland
02-18-2006, 08:50 AM
And i'll save a ton of time on excavation and not using geo grid.
Matt

There is no SRW made that can go 15 ft high w/o using grid. The tallest I know of is Monumental Block by Techo and it's max height is 10-12'

Chris

mrusk
02-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Redi rock can go 13-15 feet with out grid. Redi rock is the big blocks that weigh over a ton a peice.

Matt

cedarcroft
02-18-2006, 10:09 AM
redi rock is the way to go in that situation. I don't know if it is too appealing for a residential application though. we just did a big wall and I wish we used redi rock. we used Anchor wall blocks (jumbos) which are good but not really what should be used.
regarding the redi rock, I was talking to a guy who does alot of municipal work in and around NYC and they use some sort of custom deadman system to tie the redi rock into the slope when the wall gets high. I will find out more next time I speak to him.

GreenMonster
02-18-2006, 05:16 PM
A 15' wall doesn't immediately mean Redi-rock is the ideal block. IMHO, redi rock looks like sh!t in a residential application. There are a lot of SRW's out there, much higher than 15' tall. Sure, they require reinforcement, and may cost more, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. Lots of homeowners are willing to spend the money for Versa, Anchor, Keystone, AB or another style of SRW that would look nicer.

Find out what they'd rather have, if their budget will allow it, determine if you have the ability, get it engineered, then build it.

cedarcroft
02-18-2006, 06:30 PM
I am not saying that redi rock is the only way. there are plenty of walls around here that are much higher than 15' and they use regular wall block. a company around here called WallArt does all the monster walls and they have many that are super high. Iam just saying that redi rock is the easiest and fastest way to do it. for a residence it would be stupid.

LANDSCAPER30
02-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I think Keystone block would work very well for the installation. When a Keystone wall is installed correctly, they can hold back a lot of earth.

nac
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
That wall woundn't be in Montville? would it?

neversatisfiedj
02-18-2006, 08:24 PM
You may want to use sleeve-it for your fence up top. I just saw that at MAHTS Friday. 60.00 a peice. Looked pretty cool.

UNISCAPER
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
I would use Keystone Standards below grade for global stability and ease to level then interface Century wall on top above grade. Century is a 3 peice tumbled effect wall.

Redi-Rock can go up to 12' with no grid but is uglier than a bucket of assholes.

Time wise, Redi-Rock with use a scissors clamp on a crane could be installed in 160 man hours assuming you have good access and the crane can get where it nees to be without adding tonnage to the crane lift. Larger cranes= more money per day.

If you use Keystone, the most you will be allowed to build is 24" before being required to get a soil hardness test, and once it is signed off then they will allow you to continue. Keystone makes fance caps that can be engineered when the wall is designed. Bascuially they are caps, 4" with sqaure holes in the center and you would use the block cells as the space for the posts, then dump quick set concrete around them to set them.

Would you be making the cut to install the Strata-Grid? It's hard to say what depth you will need,but the minimum would be 9' on a 15' wall. That's about 150 yards of dirt you need to relocate assumiong they will allow you to reuse
it.

cgland
02-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Redi-Rock can go up to 12' with no grid but is uglier than a bucket of assholes.

Bill - A true master of the spoken (written) word!

LMAO

Chris

Mike33
02-19-2006, 12:21 AM
i have a few walls that high. I use allen block and most definite geo0 grid every 2 courses. You should have a enginer drawing being so high.
We have 1 in our area another contractor buddy of mine built 40' high. The product will work well. I never used keystone or the rock you mentioned so i can not make opinion on something i never used.

mike

YardPro
02-19-2006, 08:19 AM
checked out redi rock.....
as others have so eloquently put it............UGLY...

can not imagine that this would be a better option than using grid on a more esthetic wall

mrusk
02-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Yea i guess redi rock is ugly. Unless this wall is somewhere on the property that is completly out of site i will recommened a keystone wall. If i get this wall, regardless of what the town code is i will do soil hardness test every 24'' no matter what. I know walls are dangerous things if built wrong.

Matt

UNISCAPER
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Matt:

You will need a Wacker jumping style compactor and/or a Pad foot vibratory roller. Mix the soil/water combination off site, i.e. don't wet the dirt in the reinforcement zone, have one of your guys lift it with a bucket and drop it slowly then spray the water into the dirt as it leaves the bucket.

You check get soil moistures guages at numerous supply houses for about $15.00, that might be a good investment for you. Ask your soils engineer what he thinks the optimum soil moisture retention rating should be and use that as a starting point to get the 90% you want behind the wall.

Squizzy246B
02-20-2006, 06:19 AM
You will need a Wacker jumping style compactor

Otherwise known as a gas powered Kangaroo:rolleyes: :laugh:

Paradise Landscapes
02-20-2006, 07:59 AM
i have a few walls that high. I use allen block and most definite geo0 grid every 2 courses. You should have a enginer drawing being so high. mike

I use the versa-lok system. Same rules apply. But guys, I lloked at that site for redi rock, it don't look that bad. They show it as a residential setting.

I would like to see before and after pics.

LandMatters
02-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I now work for a company called Pavers Plus in Frederick, MD. We are a dealer of hardscape materials. I've looked at almost every product available to us on this side of the country. Techo-Bloc is the highest quality product available. You can build the Quarry Stone wall up to 20' with proper engineering. The Monumental block will probably use all 1000lbs block for a wall over 10 feet tall, though the product looks like Quarry stone, just much larger. Techo-Bloc says that the Monumental blok can be built to 12' tall without grid, however, your local engineer may decide the product can very well go higher or lower depending on your site conditions and backfill, etc.... If you've got any questions, please feel free to contact me at 301.473.9755

cgland
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM
We just looked at a Quarrystone wall in Clarksburg. Someone from your co. met us there with the Techo-Bloc rep to show it to us.

Chris

NNJLandman
02-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Redi Rock would be a good material....or Ive always trusted versa lok wall materials...of course then youll havta geo grid. Good luck.

Jeff

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
All it takes is a few installations with Redi-Rock to see how ugly the stuff is. Glorified material bin units with half watermelons for connections, And if you have to bend the stuff, then it becomes uglier than a bucket of assholes who owners have the runs.

cgland
02-20-2006, 09:37 PM
And if you have to bend the stuff, then it becomes uglier than a bucket of assholes who owners have the runs.

Bill -You crack me up!:laughing:

Chris

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Well, what other way can we write the term described? LOOL

sheshovel
02-20-2006, 09:59 PM
I really really like that saying may I use it?
Uglier than a bucket of assholes
I love that!

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 12:21 AM
She:

It will be one featured in my soon to be published book called
"Billisms,sayings a phases for every occasion" out in a few months. Please be my guest, use as necessary.

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 06:52 AM
I love these sayings, where I grew up it was a hatfull .."uglier than a hatfull..."

my favourite saying was from a guy I used to work with:

In responding to the over obvious, rather than "is the pope a catholic" or "does a bear sh*t in the woods" or even "does a one legged duck swim in circles" he would always respond with "DOES A DUCKS AR** PUCKER WHEN IT POWERDIVES".

I always had this vision of a disney duck with goggles on going into a five G powerdive:laugh:

Is that a successful hi-jack or what?

GreenMonster
02-21-2006, 07:25 AM
I might be inclined to try the new Techo Monumental.

That stuff is slicker than two eels in a barrel of snot.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

D Felix
02-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I've seen redi-rock that looked more like a typical SRW wall, had more detail formed into the face. That might be an option. The few installations I see regularly of the normal RR do look, as Bill so eloquently put it, "uglier than a bucket of assholes".:)

Personally, I'd go with a VL Mosaic wall, get the looks, the strength, the solid connection, and more importanly, NO CORES to deal with.:)

Dan

Dirty Water
02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
She:

It will be one featured in my soon to be published book called
"Billisms,sayings a phases for every occasion" out in a few months. Please be my guest, use as necessary.

A friend of mine desribed Ryan Seacreat as "Gayer than a bag of penises"...Perhaps that can go in your book too. :laugh: