PDA

View Full Version : Skid Steer Tracks-OTT-Need Input

Bob E G
02-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I have put 1100 hours on a CAT 226 with Goodyear Trackman OTT. Still have some rubber left (maybe 200 hrs) in this landscape application. Never had a flat, detracked once--my fault (I turned sideways on sandy hillside with bucket loaded--oh well). Great traction, etc. Needless to say, I was very happy with this LOW COST track solution.

Since then, I traded to a larger machine, for speed, hp, lift, etc. A CAT 246 with 2spd.--machine width with tires 72". I am trying to keep the width at 72" or less to be able to cover tracks with Harley Rake and Rock Hound.

Goodyear Tracks bring overall width to 75"--wider than I want. I came across SOLIDEAL TRACKS at a show and they will keep my machine UNDER 72", if I size down to 10 x 16.5 tires and 10 x31 size tracks. Ziegler CAT in Mn has done this a fair bit for guys.

I have heard mixed reviews on SOLIDEAL TRACKS. Does anybody have experience or input. Also IS THERE ANOTHER SOLUTION? (Not interested in dedicated undercarriage because of cost and machine width)

Thanks,
Bob

gammon landscaping
02-19-2006, 04:06 AM
with the 12 x 16.5s and tracks on how much clarence do you have between the track and the frame if you have 3-4 inches you could get some rims that were a little more inset. but i would think that you are proabably pretty close right now my 236 is 72in and i have the lodering tracks on it and my 73in bucket lacks about an inch in each side. but basicly you either have to get the wheels closer to the machine some how and i would say the 10 x16.5 would work but you would probably lose some tracktion