PDA

View Full Version : To fertilize or not to fertilize???????

jason_2005lawnman
02-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Hello everybody; i live here in southeast mo where we have a little bit of everything; i have 70++++ customers but only about a dozen might be interested in fertilizing; 75% of my yards here in this area is wild grass ; like crab grass , fescue, bluegrass, bermuda grass all in one yard; a lot of these customers have lived like this their whole life; so when you mention fertilze they laugh; so would the dozen or so customers be enugh to start; and what to charge for the average 45MIN or so lawn??

indyturf
02-18-2006, 04:23 PM
if you are just doing 15-20 lawns you could get by without a big investment in equiptment, all you would need to get started is a brodcast spreader (I recomend a lesco stainless steel frame) and a backpack sprayer for liquid herbicides. you will also need to get a liscensed to apply pesticides. but you can make enough $ to make it worth while.

LLandscaping
02-18-2006, 04:38 PM
I believe most states require you to pass a Pesticide test before you can apply chemicals this includes: fertilizers, selective and non selective (ex.Round Up) herbicides, etc. I think that being a lawn maintenance professional you need to be able to provide the services customers want. You don't want them going with someone else to treat there lawn because you could lose other work. I would get the study material for your state dept of AG and look at the requirements: insurance, licenses, records, etc.

jason_2005lawnman
02-18-2006, 09:31 PM
hello everybody; i do know that in my area for the granual fertilize i dont need a liscense; as far as the chemical and all that other stuff; i cant even get anybody interested; these are people who have lived here for years and to them grass is just a pain in the butt; they could careless if it grows; that is the way 80% of everybody is around here; most of them dont even water; all this i know personally; ive growed up around here and im 26 now; getting them to fertilize is a big hassle; but the other stuff; well you can probably guess; lol;

indyturf
02-18-2006, 09:45 PM
hello everybody; i do know that in my area for the granual fertilize i dont need a liscense; as far as the chemical and all that other stuff; i cant even get anybody interested; these are people who have lived here for years and to them grass is just a pain in the butt; they could careless if it grows; that is the way 80% of everybody is around here; most of them dont even water; all this i know personally; ive growed up around here and im 26 now; getting them to fertilize is a big hassle; but the other stuff; well you can probably guess; lol;
I guess you will have to market a little different than the rest of us. kind of like the guy down in your area that throws his rolls across the restaurant to you! lol

TURF DOCTOR
02-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Kinda like eating beans out of a can with your pocket knife.

DLS1
02-19-2006, 12:06 AM

In Missouri you can only apply STRAIGHT fertilizer without a license. If the bag has a product that kills any type of weed then you must have a license. What customer would want to fertilize grass and weeds if they are not killing the weeds with chemicals.

jason_2005lawnman
02-19-2006, 12:33 AM
well if you read my first post i told u what the yards consist of and in dexter missouri i can put down a 12-12-12-12 or 10-6-4 or 34-0-0 or 21-5-7 ect without a license; im well aware of what i can do; but like i said if the yards contain everthing from weeds to grass then were back to my ????? ; to fertilize or not to fertilize?????

NattyLawn
02-19-2006, 10:00 AM
well if you read my first post i told u what the yards consist of and in dexter missouri i can put down a 12-12-12-12 or 10-6-4 or 34-0-0 or 21-5-7 ect without a license; im well aware of what i can do; but like i said if the yards contain everthing from weeds to grass then were back to my ????? ; to fertilize or not to fertilize?????

I heard 12-12-12-12 is a great fert! :confused:

If the lawns are as bad as you say and most people don't want to pay for fert and weed control, then it sounds like it might not be worth it. Or, you can go with the few you have, turn the lawns around, and expand business from there. Can you sell? I would get a license as well. You need to kill the weeds to turn the turf around, and you can then add services such as aeration, seeding, lime, etc.

BTW, you asked a pretty generic question, and you will get answers to get your license, which you should do. You might think you're well aware what you can do, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn, as most of us do on the site.

garydale
02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Try picking one of your most visible client's properties and make it shine.

Fertilizer, weed control, water what ever it takes to make it a show place.

Use any money you planned for advertising to help pay for it.

Put an attractive sign up saying its your work.

People need to see results to change their thinking.

DLS1
02-19-2006, 11:51 AM

Well Bud with your attitude you may not get much help on this site.
Lots of people have asked questions about fertilizing and didn't realize they can't put down a bag of fertilizer that ALSO has weed control in it. They though spraying was the weed control part.

26 years old and a know it all but but really don't. Pass this thread on to your dad and he might have a good laugh. :laugh: :laugh:

jason_2005lawnman
02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
yeah; true there is a lot of it out there; but im sure not going to use it right now; i wouldnt have anything to mow; and that wouldnt be good for business; lol; i really need the weeds and grass to mow; so i dont think ill be killing all the weeds; but as for trying to turn things around; i like that idea; maybe hard to sell to people that are set in their ways but hey gotta start somewhere; i guess; now as for the one that said this attitude wont get you anywhere on this site; will take it as you want; but you tell me what you think and i tell you what i think; last time i checked thats what 95% of the post on here i read do; and as always some peoples commints and replys are a great help; others you cant always go bye because mayber their area is different than somebody else so the procedure wouldnt work; but that is what discusion's are for;

somo1
02-20-2006, 09:34 PM
yeah; true there is a lot of it out there; but im sure not going to use it right now; i wouldnt have anything to mow; and that wouldnt be good for business; lol; i really need the weeds and grass to mow; so i dont think ill be killing all the weeds; but as for trying to turn things around; i like that idea; maybe hard to sell to people that are set in their ways but hey gotta start somewhere; i guess; now as for the one that said this attitude wont get you anywhere on this site; will take it as you want; but you tell me what you think and i tell you what i think; last time i checked thats what 95% of the post on here i read do; and as always some peoples commints and replys are a great help; others you cant always go bye because mayber their area is different than somebody else so the procedure wouldnt work; but that is what discusion's are for;

To finally answer your question, You first have to find out what the customers expectations are. Do they want a nice lawn or not? Then you will know what to do. As for the "more weeds that grass", if they want a nice lawn and are willing to spend some $$$. Then overseed their lawn in the fall and sow with KY31 fescue if they don't have irrigation. It is a course fescue and requires little maintenance. You should know where to find it if you live in Dexter, MO. Good luck. Oh and if your going to do weed control, you do need a Pesticide Applicators License. Contanct the Dept. of Ag. to get info.

jason_2005lawnman
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Try picking one of your most visible client's properties and make it shine.

Fertilizer, weed control, water what ever it takes to make it a show place.

Use any money you planned for advertising to help pay for it.

Put an attractive sign up saying its your work.

People need to see results to change their thinking.

I really think you have a good idea ; now i just gotta pick the right one; lol; should i kill all the weeds and then try to sow grass and fertilize; or fertilze the grass thats already there and try to choke all the weeds out? and i do appreciate your post;

fertit
02-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I really think you have a good idea ; now i just gotta pick the right one; lol; should i kill all the weeds and then try to sow grass and fertilize; or fertilze the grass thats already there and try to choke all the weeds out? and i do appreciate your post;

Jason my man- It's great to know there are folk like you out there. Give Howard Johnsons' a call up near Milwaukee- 1-414-276-1505. Tell them you're starting out and need the ULTIMATE in fertilizers and weed controls for home lawns- they'll set you up with a dealer close by.

Get the lawn going with fertilizer and then go after the weeds. If the lawn is in too bad of a condition- don't try to fix it with fert. That' what our friends at TGCL like to do.....

Good Luck - Be nice, wear clean clothes, take off your sunglasses when speaking with customers, and never sell yourself short.