PDA

View Full Version : duramax question?

Mlc gmc03
02-18-2006, 04:08 PM
ok i was wondering if i would be doing any damage to my motor by not plugging it in in these cold temps as long as i wasnt starting or running it we dont use it in the winter and electrical access isnt close

so buy not plugging it in as long as i am not starting it an i running any risks

thanx

Lawn Masters
02-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I wouldnt THINK you're risking any damage by not plugging it in if you're not going to run it. I could be wrong though.

lawnmaniac883
02-18-2006, 04:50 PM
You wont have any trouble that I can think of, plugging it in only heats the block itself.

ripple
02-18-2006, 08:00 PM
No damage!
But if you plug it in it helps the truck start up the next morning. Instead of plugging it in all night...just put it on a timer for a couple hours before you wake up!
www.dieselplace.com

stroker51
02-18-2006, 09:17 PM
You probably wont even have to plug it in for it to start. My 96 Powerstroke wont start unless it is plugged in (needs glow plugs and wiring harness) but the newer powerstrokes, like 1999 and up, most dont need to be plugged in, at least that I have been around. It would make it easier to start, but you wont do any damage to it by not plugging it in.

Albemarle Lawn
02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
As long as you coolant is correct you are fine. Especially since you are not driving it I would not waste the electricity or wear out your block heater.

Maybe put a 5w-40 synthetic motor oil (I like Mobil 1 Delvac) in it for cold-season use as it flows much better at cold temps than a 15w-40 oil.