PDA

View Full Version : rototillers???

instyle
02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
What kind of walk behind rototillers are you guys running?

I know mid tine is better then front tine, but is it also better then rear tine.

Also I have been told honda mid tine is the best, then I was told merry tiller made the best mid tine.

What do you guys say?

mcwlandscaping
02-18-2006, 07:23 PM
whats a mid tine tiller, ive only heard of a front and rear tine? anyway, i have a mantis tiller for when i need it for garden prep and such, i would use it as an edger too cept the dam tines are rusted really bad onto the shafts.

LLandscaping
02-18-2006, 07:31 PM
We have a Mantis and a Honda that are both small front tine tillers and a Troybilt Super Bronco rear tine that we use to till up our garden and larger areas. The Mantis and Honda are great for flower beds and tilling tight area.

OnMyOwn
02-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm with the other guys. What is a mid-tine tiller?

Regarding rear-tine, my Snapper did not do as good of a job as the Troy-Bilt pony. The Troy-Bilt pulverized the soil very well.

Front tine is torture!!!!!!!

NEPSJay
02-18-2006, 07:44 PM
BCS for the big stuff and a teeny tiny Shindaiwa.

Restrorob
02-18-2006, 08:35 PM
A mid tine tiller has a single wheel sticking out the front with the tines mounted under the engine. There is two disc sticking out the rear behind the tines that help to keep it standing upright. Honda had a mid tine tiller in their line-up years ago but I havn't seen one in years.

baddboygeorge
02-18-2006, 08:41 PM
for small light weight an quick -mantis by little wonder, medium mid size, awesome work horse - honda mid tines, large tiller for hevy duty work either , troy bilt,bcs,or honda!! have a good one see george

instyle
02-19-2006, 10:42 AM
The mid tine uses the entire weight of the machine. The tines are located directlt under the engine. They are IMO 10x betterthen a front tine. But I have never used a rear tine. Up here rototilling is a big season. I have to buy two of them, just not sure which ones.

Stafford Landscaping
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
I like useing a front tine tiller when working next to a house or wall etc.
because you can get a little closer. And then I like useing a rear tine tiller
for the wide open areas because you have more to maneuver it around.

gammon landscaping
02-19-2006, 09:42 PM
i have a rear tine huquavarna and i like it alot better than front tine you just have better leverage pushing it into the ground and picking it us and it pulls itself along so less to wrestle with

LB1234
02-19-2006, 10:34 PM
We have a little Ryobi (gas mixture) we got from homeripoff before we got into the business. Thing is great for annual bed preparation. For larger garden beds or soil ammendments we use a yardman/mtd rear tine self propelled. About 8 years old...also before we got into the business. We don't use these things every week but definately every month.

For seed bed preparation we've been using the cultivator that attaches to the front of the dingo.

HydroRI
02-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Is there such a walk behind tilller? Most tillers I'v seen in the stores look like homeowner use. Are there any commercial grade out there?

Jason Rose
02-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Is there such a walk behind tilller? Most tillers I'v seen in the stores look like homeowner use. Are there any commercial grade out there?

From what Iv'e heard, BCS is as commercial as it gets for a tiller. Plan on spending $3,000+ for one though. Their site I can't seem to access directly, but this site has all the models, acessories and even prices! http://www.earthtoolsbcs.com/index.html

mountianview
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
just bought a 30 year old troy bilt horse model $ 250 ,thought about selling to get out from under it ,but its all there ,well taken care of ,starts on first pull etc decided to keep it, great machines.

jmc74346
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
hey guys mid tine tillers are everywhere.......they are also a great addition to any tool shed. I have the mantis, a troybilt rear tine, and a honda front tine. They all have a special place in my garden. Just google mid tine tiller.

treegal1
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
1948 garden aide, all stock...

Fox Lawn & Garden
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
It depends on how big of an area you need tilled.
Do yourself a favor--- Don't even consider a front tine model. They will work you to death, especially hard soils.
I use a 5' 3-pt tiller for the BIG stuff, and a Troy-bilt Horse model for the smaller stuff. I've tried the small hand-held models and like THEM, but never got around to purchasing one (yet).

Have a Good season

Sammy
02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I have a old Troy-Bilt that I never use.
I use a rear mounted tiller on a JD 317 or IH CC 125.