PDA

View Full Version : 4 cylinder pulling trailer?

WillMowForBeer
02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
I have a 98 dodge sport 4cylinder 5-speed and I want a 6x12 enclosed trailer. I'm not too sure the engine could pull the wieght once she's loaded. I've had full bed loads of dirt and mulch no prob but what do you guys think...It should only be temp. as I look to buy a used f150 next year.

I've pulled a small v6 ranger on the same size trailer loaded with no probs too...

Also what about towing from the bumper rather than installing a tow kit? I dont want to spend a lot of $$$ on something I plan to sell next year.

TURF DOCTOR
02-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Pulling it mabye stopping is your problem get brakes on the trailer,and the bumper will not hold the weight of the trailer.

WillMowForBeer
02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah I will buy the tow hitch but I am going to try and test drive the trailer with this truck first to see how it handles.:eek:

mrbray101
02-18-2006, 08:47 PM
i have the v6 dakota with a few upgrades, (port and polish heads, ported tb, cai, headers, exhaust) and my truck doesnt have a problem pooling a trailer. I've pulled a 16 footer but it did have brakes. I also pull my boat, 19' carolina skiff w/ 25hp and it has no problems. I would say the 4 would be sluggish but I couldnt really know for sure since Ive never driven one. I would definately say get brakes on the trailer. I even have a little trouble with my little 5x8 lawn trailer when I have to stop quick and its loaded down with mulch.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Will Mowforbeer

Look at my website and you will see my mazda with a 2.4L 5 speed pulling a 5x10 trailer. Can it be done yes, should it be done no. That truck no longer pulls a trailer my new Ram 1500 pulls a 6x12.

When pulling one mower it was fine but I added a second weed rack and a Z-cat on the trailer. Yes it would pull but very slow and breaking was scary. The real problem started when the helper would get in the truck, just the extra 185lbs sat the truck on its azz. One time he had to get out on an incline so we could get up the hill. This truck had the 2.4L Hope this helps!!!

hosejockey2002
02-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Test driving the 6x12 empty behind your Dakota will be one thing. Using it daily with the trailer loaded will be another thing all together. If you have to start on hills or back up driveways you will be tearing up your clutch. A long time ago I towed with a 4 cylinder Mazda 4x4. Even with low 4.44 rear end gears, with more than 1500 pounds behind it I had to floor it and slip the clutch to start out on a moderately steep hill.

befnme
02-19-2006, 03:18 AM
is it a clutch or automatic ? i would think with a clutc you would go thru ckutches like crazy .even with an automatic in overdrive you will experience probs.

Dixie Rob
02-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I have a powerstroke and a 95 Ranger with the 4.0 V6. I have a 6.5x12 open trailer. The powerstroke of course has no issues. The ranger however, can get up to speed on flat land, but going up the slightest incline, my top speed is 45mph, fully floored, and giving it all she's got. I don't know about where you are in Texas, but in Tennessee this is a heck of a problem since it's all rolling hills.

WillMowForBeer
02-19-2006, 03:41 PM
You guys are right but I may have to make due...I will be parking the trailer outside on the street in my in-laws neighborhood so I need something I can lock up and I dont have the cash to upgrade my truck this year. I dont have a storage shed to put equipment in.

Maybe I downsize to the 6x10 or a 5x10?

Could I still get the mower 39 1/4 " through the door ok on a 5x10? (Mulch kit)

Jay Ray
02-19-2006, 05:19 PM
My 48 wb goes on and off a 5 x 10 open trailer very easily. I haven't tried a 52 but think it would go on no problem if you were careful. A 54 Deere wb might really be pushing it to the limit.

Your truck owner's manual may tell you how much the truck is designed to tow bed empty. The weight of the trailer plus all the equipment should not be too much more than that. A four banger can do it for a solo operation on flat land if equipment weight is held in check.

For equal deck size, a ztr will weigh considerably more than a wb.

Every pound costs fuel.