PDA

View Full Version : Water Meter Question

AssuredServicesCo
02-18-2006, 08:07 PM
I've looked at a few water meters and see 5/8 shown on the top of the meter on a line, and others with 3/4 down on the side of the meter near the center. I've determined the 5/8 is for it's size (duh), but does the 3/4 on the side of others also indicitive of it's size. Thanks. I'm a licensed irrigator but have to learn some things like this from field experience. Input is appreciated.

Wet_Boots
02-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Once upon a time, there was actually 5/8 inch copper pipe. I think the 5/8 water meter was sized accordingly. Maximum rated flow was 20 gpm. There were also 3/4 inch water meters, with a maximum flow rating of 30 gpm. Obviously, water hammer and flow velocity didn't figure into these ratings. The 3/4 inch meters were larger and longer than 5/8 meters. Even though the 5/8 copper pipe is now an extreme rarity, the meters remain, with 3/4 inch threads. And now, there is a sort of hybrid water meter, that has the 30 gpm flow rating of the 3/4 inch meter, in the smaller 5/8 package. Sometimes, they're designated as 3/4 x 5/8 water meters. On occasion, you can get an older 5/8 water meter swapped out for a 3/4 x 5/8 meter, and gain some extra pressure in a sprinkler system.

Dirty Water
02-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Every meter out here is 5/8"

All you guys with 1" meters are crazy :laugh:

AssuredServicesCo
02-19-2006, 12:18 AM
so how do you know the difference between the two water meter sizes, thanks

bicmudpuppy
02-19-2006, 12:59 AM
so how do you know the difference between the two water meter sizes, thanks
I think you already answered this part of the question. The size is stamped on the meter. I've never seen the hybrid 3/4 x 5/8 boots is talking about, but after some time, a 5/8 meter looks like a 5/8 meter without cleaning it up to find the size stamp. A 3/4 meter gives you slightly more flow, but in most residential settings, I don't think you will get enough difference to justify a significant change in design.

Jon, when you only water six weeks out of the year, I understand why you think 1' meters are eccentric, but if you need the water twice a week for 10-14 weeks, the extra flow is kind of handy.

Hank Reardon
02-19-2006, 02:46 AM
Jon, when you only water six weeks out of the year, I understand why you think 1' meters are eccentric, but if you need the water twice a week for 10-14 weeks, the extra flow is kind of handy.

If memory serves, Jon gets about 10" of precipitation a year [in Sequim] and that's all between November and April! :eek:

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 11:05 AM

By that reasoning then we should be using 3" or 4" water meters since our watering season is longer and some large systems are watering six nights a week. :laugh: (And I say this as it's pouring down rain outside.)

Dirty Water
02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
If memory serves, Jon gets about 10" of precipitation a year [in Sequim] and that's all between November and April! :eek:

Your about right.

Though we got a record 6" in january alone. Yuck.

Though we work out of Sequim, we'll service everyone in about a 50-75 mile radius (Port Angeles, Port Townsend, even out West to Forks), and sequim is just a dry spot on a very wet peninsula.

bicmudpuppy
02-19-2006, 11:20 AM
By that reasoning then we should be using 3" or 4" water meters since our watering season is longer and some large systems are watering six nights a week. :laugh: (And I say this as it's pouring down rain outside.)
LOL, Not exactly how I meant it, but funny the king of 3+" mains replies :) And I thought western Washington was all in a 40+" / year. My mother-in-law calls it "Washington" weather everytime we have a wet period in the spring or fall. I wouldn't dream of watering about 25% of my sites with a 3/4 or smaller meter, but I have some 20+ zone systems on 1" meters too.

Dirty Water
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
LOL, Not exactly how I meant it, but funny the king of 3+" mains replies :) And I thought western Washington was all in a 40+" / year. My mother-in-law calls it "Washington" weather everytime we have a wet period in the spring or fall. I wouldn't dream of watering about 25% of my sites with a 3/4 or smaller meter, but I have some 20+ zone systems on 1" meters too.

It was in the teens at night this week, and mid '30s during the day.

But that is unusually cold.

The weather is why I stay in Sequim, that and the small town feel.

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
...Sequim, that and the small town feel.

Didn't you guys get a WallyMart a few years back or am I thinking of a different small town up there??? :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 11:39 AM
LOL, Not exactly how I meant it, but funny the king of 3+" mains replies :)

Actually, 3" main lines are getting pretty small down here. A lot of our sites now are being constructed with 4-6-8" mains depending on size of property. Since our "window of opportunity" to water is only at night with the night before mowing not watered we're being restricted on watering days and have to push a lot of water each night. :)

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's some common meter and inlet/outlet sizes from one company.

DLJ50: 5/8" x 1/2" $39.95
DLJ75: 5/8" x 3/4" $44.95
DLJ7575: 3/4" x 3/4" $69.95
DLJ100: 1" $79.95
DLJ150: 1 1/2" $189.95
DLJ200: 2" $249.95

Dirty Water
02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Didn't you guys get a WallyMart a few years back or am I thinking of a different small town up there??? :laugh:

We got a Wal-Mart and Home Depot last year. As well as a few new strip malls.

You won't be able to recognize the place next time your up.

Population from 4k to 10k in 3 years???? :dizzy:

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Population from 4k to 10k in 3 years???? :dizzy:

Maybe everyone wants to move to Skwim because outsiders don't know how to pronounce it and maybe they can hide from relatives or others? :)

Wet_Boots
02-19-2006, 01:07 PM
A 'true' 3/4 inch meter is supposed to be nine inches long, and the threads on the meter are probably one-inch straight. I see them almost never, since most municipalities just go to a one inch meter, if a 5/8 is too small.

PurpHaze
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I see them almost never, since most municipalities just go to a one inch meter, if a 5/8 is too small.

Funny you should mention this. I did a search and it appears that most municipalities have switched to straight 1" meters.