PDA

View Full Version : exhaust

cutter150
04-17-2001, 03:50 PM
i just bought a 96 gmc z71 and am looking for good exhaust idea, ive looked into flowmaster and dynomax and they seem to be relatively similar. What about no mufflers? my buddy has a truck identical to it and he has no mufflers, just the catilytic converter. I could defenetly go for the sound, but i do not want any loss of power i have heard associated with it. I am after a very aggressive sound
i would appreciate any advice
thank you

MTCK
04-18-2001, 02:13 AM
I had a friend who put a two chamber flowmaster on his 88 1/2 ton with a 350, and it wasn't very loud. Then he took it off and went with straight 3" pipe from the cat. It was about comparable to my truck, which has dual 40 series flowmasters with no cats, 3" pipes. Sounded good. He said he didn't feel a loss of power. If you have dual cats, you might think about running true duals with no mufflers, one out each side. He said he didn't feel a power difference between the flowmaster and no muffler, and had more power over stock with both. Hope this helps.

cutter150
04-20-2001, 05:23 PM
yeah, thats what i thought, and it would be the most cost effective as well, i was just a little scared i would notloose power rather than gain, by putting money into my truck,thanks

John DiMartino
04-20-2001, 08:25 PM
The Vortec 350 has dual cats,you can run them only-but I would go with the american thunder (2 chamber)flowmaster if it were mine,nice mellow sound,yet authoritive when your in it,that doesnt drone in the cab when towing or cruising.