PDA

View Full Version : I need Help.......What do I bid?

B&J
02-19-2006, 01:12 AM
I need to bid on doing some hedges....757ft worth of hedges .....any help u could give me would be greatly appreciated.

yrdandgardenhandyman
02-19-2006, 03:12 AM
I need to bid on doing some hedges....757ft worth of hedges .....any help u could give me would be greatly appreciated.

More info. :confused:

YardPro
02-19-2006, 08:52 AM
these questions always get me....

i really wish people would take at least an intro to business class before luanching thier business....

no one knows what to tell you what to charge... here's why.

first we do not know your cost of doing the job, ( overhead, labor burden, etc..)
second, we do know know what type of hedge, how wide, how tall, how far it needs to be cut back....
how is the access to the hedge?, does it need to be hualed off, how far are you from the landfill... etc...

how long do you think it will take?

B&J
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
The hedges are about 5 ft tall, 1 1/2 - 2 ft wide and yes I do have to haul off the trimmings.
I will be using 2 people to do this job...If you could tell me about how long it would take to do a row of hedges this long I can figure the rest....Time does not lie....
All I need to know is approximately how long a job like this will take with two people doing the job...Thanks for your input.

TURF DOCTOR
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
If you are unsure how to price a job go to the old hourly wage and try it,we don't know your cost how much to open your doors,how much to pay your help,some on the board are not out a lot of money, some are, prices are not the same,solo operaters can work cheaper than some paying high wages.

cwlawley
02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
It really gets me how many people ask "how much do I charge?" I wonder if this is their first job or what? At least say, "This is what I think, how close am I?" If we have to do all the bidding, just give us the job and we will take care of it.

mslawn
02-19-2006, 12:15 PM
The hedges are about 5 ft tall, 1 1/2 - 2 ft wide and yes I do have to haul off the trimmings.
I will be using 2 people to do this job...If you could tell me about how long it would take to do a row of hedges this long I can figure the rest....Time does not lie....
All I need to know is approximately how long a job like this will take with two people doing the job...Thanks for your input.

How much are you cutting off, just new growth? Severe pruning?
If it is just new growth, 2 of my men can do it in probably 10-15min. and mulch clippings with a mower. If it is major pruning without knowing what type hedge or how severe you are cutting. it is just a guess. The best thing to do is give the customer a fair price on what YOU think it will take. If you lose out because you underbid, you will learn from experience. Only hands on experience will teach you what you need to know. Everybody goes thru the learning process and underbidding(simply cause they thought it could be done quicker than it turns out). Better yet just give the customer a man hour rate and give them a guesstimate - 2 to 3 hrs so say 80.00-120.00 if man hr rate is approx - 40.00 per man hr.

mslawn
02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
How much are you cutting off, just new growth? Severe pruning?
If it is just new growth, 2 of my men can do it in probably 10-15min. and mulch clippings with a mower. If it is major pruning without knowing what type hedge or how severe you are cutting. it is just a guess. The best thing to do is give the customer a fair price on what YOU think it will take. If you lose out because you underbid, you will learn from experience. Only hands on experience will teach you what you need to know. Everybody goes thru the learning process and underbidding(simply cause they thought it could be done quicker than it turns out). Better yet just give the customer a man hour rate and give them a guesstimate - 2 to 3 hrs so say 80.00-120.00 if man hr rate is approx - 40.00 per man hr.

:hammerhead:
I just looked again, I thought you said 75 ft - opps, for 757 ft if it is just new growth make that - my 2 men could do it in about-2 to 2-1/2 hours, mulching up clippings.

mrbray101
02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Im glad i saw your second post, at first I was astonished. almost 800 feet of trimming in 10-15 minutes lol. I was getting ready to ask some tips.