PDA

View Full Version : Night time madness

summitgroundskeeping
04-17-2001, 07:14 PM
This fall I might be a little over booked. Is it acceptable to mow at night if I put lights on my mowers? I tried it last year, but wasn't sure if its professional.

Stonehenge
04-17-2001, 07:52 PM
You might get a better response for this in the lawncare forum, but I'll answer you from my perspective....

When I first started out and was working alone, I had built a reputation for needing porch lights and mechanic's lights to work by. I found the customers by and large liked it, and appreciated the hard work. However, you should definitely find out what your customers think.

greens1
04-17-2001, 08:50 PM
I don't know about your community but arround here you can run equptment from 8am to 8pm. If you run equiptment other than between those times then the cops come and make you turn it off, and wait there untill you leave.
Good Luck,
Jim L

little green guy
04-18-2001, 02:01 AM
I think it's fine on commercials, I think you could probly get away cutting commercails pretty late as long as there are no houses or residents around. We've cut till like 9, 9:30 on residentails before, just don't make it a habit.

Last year I had a lawn instalation that I had to finish because it was supposed to rain the next day, I was still running the skid steer at 10:30 at night, the nieghbors started to get a little irrated about that. I usualy try to be done by 8 or 9 at the latest now.

steveair
04-18-2001, 07:36 AM
Hello,

As a one man operation and a reputation for fair prices, I find most people don't mind if I work later into the evening. They would rather bare the noise for a few days and see the project get completed rather than have it drag on longer than it needs too.

Some instances, however do call for some consideration. A few neighborhoods I know I have to keep the noise down late into the evening. Paver saws are not what people want to hear at 8:30 at night, so I try to keep 'noisy' work to a mininum later on.

As for safety, I think it is a concern. You think you can see, but then again.......

Also, working into the night can mean other problems. It's just hard to see what you are doing. You'll come back in the morning and see things you missed all over the place. Almost like working in the rain, you get the job done but it takes twice as long. Tools are another thing.....if your not careful, you easily can leave a shovel laying in the middle of the yard, or that $35 hammer, etc. etc.

steveair

OBRYANMAINT
04-18-2001, 09:46 AM
i have done it before only on commercial accts , but i really have to watch my quality it is easier to miss something

summitgroundskeeping
04-18-2001, 05:20 PM
Here in the FALL, it gets dark at like 6:00.

lawnboy82
04-23-2001, 01:54 AM
last night i worked on a commercial site moving earth until 11 pm. so if you can get away with it do it.

John Allin
04-23-2001, 08:14 AM
On a SUNDAY !!!
Lawnboy82 - you gotta slow down dude.... you'll burn yourself out at this pace..... take a FEW hours off once in a while....

lawnboy82
04-25-2001, 01:31 AM
actually saturday all we did was we cut one tree in the morning, just cut at the bottom and thats it, took half an hour. then we ran around for a bit, cut my lawn, ate, went to the deli, machine got there at 4 pm. worked till 7:30 my friend told me he had to go home because he has a life, dropped him off went back and worked till 11:00 ate dinner at about 12:30 am. sunday started at 9 am. then worked for a couple of hours and ran around to get some things fixed. went back and did more work, finished that at 7:00 pm. blew off the lot and finished just before 8 pm. commercial area so who cares, and i dont have a life / girlfriend / etc. so i dont really care.

steveair
04-25-2001, 07:24 AM
Hello,

Madness is the word. Can't even think straight at this point. I still work my full time job 6-2 M-F, but am booked solid for the next 2 months after. Between going on estiimates, going to work, and doing the jobs, I haven't been home before 8 PM yet in 2 weeks now. Was out till 10pm last thurs on an estimate. Besides that, when I do get home, its still a couple of hours doing bill work, invoicing, etc. On top of all that, I have 4 contractors now that I do designs for, so no matter what time I get home, I always need to spend a few hours on them.

I know its going to be all day/night and every weekend here for the next month or so, but that will be all right. Its spring, and I know it will slow down. Everyone at once now. I'm starting to get a few jobs booked later on in the fall/late summer, so I think things will mellow out after I get through this initial madness.

For everyone working those late hours, I would relax, as it will soon come to an end in the next month or so. Spring is here, and this is what happens. Just think of all those pretty checks with the big $ on them that will start rolling in soon.

steveair

lawnboykb
04-27-2001, 10:34 PM
No way...........do you know how far sound will travel at night?