View Full Version : Flow Meter

02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I noticed last week that our new stadium has had a new flow meter installed downline of the POC and booster pump. There is new conduit that runs to the booster pump electrical panel nearby and four valve boxes have been stacked to allow access to the meter. I discovered it by accident and the bosses haven't said anything about it. I was thinking maybe it was installed as a "high/low" switch for the booster pump since I never saw one evident on the initial construction. Without some sort of high/low switch a booster pump will run regardless whether or not water is actually running through the main and they then have a tendency to burn up. Anyone else want to hazard a guess?

02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Maybe it's a 'paddle switch' - water flow deflects the paddle and actuates the switch. Fire sprinkler systems have such things, for a positive indication of system flow. Worth it, if it keeps other system faults from forcing the pump to run in a closed system.

02-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Possible, but doubtful. The booster pump is controller actuated through the master valve terminals. Only other thing I can think of is if someone might suspect water loss. This site is next to a riverbed and is very sandy. Years ago they put a flow meter on the pool's inlet line and discovered that millions of gallons of water was leaking out of the pool and into the sandy soil. They built a new pool based on this information.

02-19-2006, 12:45 PM
I would think a meter could detect excess water consumption. A paddle switch is just another safety device, and might even be part of a specification for a booster pump install. No paddle switch, no pump warranty. A pressure switch serves the same purpose on small booster pumps I install, although I never saw one installed underground. Also, if the system is 'off' and a paddle switch is indicating a flow, that would provide useful information to a 'smart' controller.

(You could always post [an appropriately compressed] photo of the device) :headphones: <sup><small> {Miles Davis}

02-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I'll try to remember to take a pic on Tuesday when I return to work. Looks like a 4" tee coming upright with the meter on top.

02-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Provided I understand your description - flow switches used in conjunction with a pump station exist to detect "outside" flow situations.
However, if you are a flood suction system with a booster pump, flow controls are written in Delphi code in order to communication with the controller in order to avoid an excessive flow condition for the booster pump.
The difficulty in this set up comes from the installation aspect - flow controls are very finicky to establish as pipe sizing, velocity of water, condition of the water and distance from main outlet all dictate operating parameters in the code.
What essentially happens is the flow switch is supposed to detect an "outside" parameter run condition and fault the controller to halt operation.
Typically, clayton valves pulsing allows for velocity fluctuations which the flow switch rads as "outside" and the system faults.
I would much rather see a Cycle stop valve with a flow switch than a clayton type valve and flow switch.

02-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Forgot to take a picture but I found out what it does do. It is a flow meter that activates the booster pump. Seems that it was originally part of the system and the box was just buried so I never noticed it before. Seems that it stopped working because a seal or something was crimped when it was originally installed. Boss had the original contractor come out and change it.