PDA

View Full Version : got my mag

zim bob the landscaper
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
i just got a turf mag it is awesome looked a alot of the web sites and gave me alot of info.
thanks

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-19-2006, 05:10 PM
cool thing. I just got mine too.

FinalCut05
02-19-2006, 06:19 PM
I got mine and was disappointed in the "Walk behind buyers guide". Its not a article but just ads for some of the mfgrs. I was excited by the cover to see how they compared but instead i got a lame advertisment.

:dizzy:

South Florida Lawns
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I got mine and was disappointed in the "Walk behind buyers guide". Its not a article but just ads for some of the mfgrs. I was excited by the cover to see how they compared but instead i got a lame advertisment.

Thats why its FREE.

They gotta advertise somehow.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
02-19-2006, 06:49 PM
That was my thoughts exactly. Someone has to pay for it if we don't.

turfmagazine
02-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Jim @ TURF Magazine here ...

Truth is ... these "product guides" and "buyers guides" in TURF are not paid advertising.

Every couple of years, I survey TURF readers. The #1 thing they ask for is product news ... so we choose one or more categories a month and put them together as a "product guide". If you studied them (which I know is silly) ... you see that some of them come from advertisers and others come from companies who do not advertise with us.

These are meant to be informational to you -- the reader. What hurts is that not every company in every category sends in something ... so inevitable someone is left out. Then they're mad at us -- evening though I employ one full time 40-hour a week person just to hound these companies into sending in photos and product specs.

Can't win.

Anyway ... thanks for your interest.

zim bob the landscaper
02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Jim @ TURF Magazine here ...

Truth is ... these "product guides" and "buyers guides" in TURF are not paid advertising.

Every couple of years, I survey TURF readers. The #1 thing they ask for is product news ... so we choose one or more categories a month and put them together as a "product guide". If you studied them (which I know is silly) ... you see that some of them come from advertisers and others come from companies who do not advertise with us.

These are meant to be informational to you -- the reader. What hurts is that not every company in every category sends in something ... so inevitable someone is left out. Then they're mad at us -- evening though I employ one full time 40-hour a week person just to hound these companies into sending in photos and product specs.

Can't win.

Anyway ... thanks for your interest.
that sux but i like it you guys do a good job.

mcwlandscaping
02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
just something i noticed, most ads don't have a website included but i know the company does have one. There are some companies that i would be interested in seeing a site but there isn't one listed, is there any particular reason for this?

another question, for the card where you cirle the numbers of the info you want and send it back, what happens after that, do we get mailed a huge packet of all these companies infor, or is our name and info sent to those companies and they send us infor? Hopefully i made my questions clear enough, thanks guys, i really like the magazine and always look forward to the next issue, just got my new landscape construction mag today as well, love it!! Thanks again

Mike

J&R Landscaping
02-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Each company sends you their info for what you requested... What companies are you looking to get web sites for?

BladeRunner1967
02-22-2006, 08:30 AM

Me too:cry:

turfmagazine
02-22-2006, 12:49 PM
Jim @ TURF Magazine here again ...

The question about no websites in the product guides?

You can thank the US Postal Service for that.

It's a long story, but the quick version is this: We mail under what's called "periodical rate" which is a lot faster than 3rd class (junk mail status) but a lot less expensive than first class.

To keep that periodical rate, we need to comply with certain rules. We could put the "reader circle number" (which we do) OR, the website OR the phone number.

I just figured that some folks still don't have computers, so the website would also serve some readers. So I figured the "circle number" would be useful for all of our readers.

Once again, thank your friends at the Postal Service for another inconvenience.

mcwlandscaping
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the answers, i can understand where your comming from with that, not much else to do in math than go through TURF and circle the numbers on the card.

martinfan06
08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Must Say Awsome Mag.

Brendan Smith
08-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Must Say Awsome Mag.
i agree. can't wait for the next issue...

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
08-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I have recieved it too. I don't want to appear to complain, but would rather offer constructive criticism. More Educational material than ads would be nice. For instance I read that entire baseball field article, and they explained what kind of treatments they used for it, but nowhere did they mention their cutting process. How do they get those checkerboard patterns? I don't see any perimeter cut lines, do they manually rake it to achieve the desired effect? I did enjoy what was in there, but the article to ad ratio should be leveled off a bit in my opinion.

kathyu
08-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Hi,

Because this is a business to business publication and is free, there is a certain ad to editorial ratio that we must comply with (Ask your local USPS headmaster about that!) in order to mail at 2nd class. This gets your magazine to you within a week or so of mailing (usually only a few days) as opposed to mailing periodical class which has no guarenteed delivery time.

If you'd like more information, there's a bunch here: http://www.usps.com/business/catalogspublications/welcome.htm

or email me directly and I can get you some clearer explanations.

Thanks for the input!

Kathy kupton@mrpllc.com

South Florida Lawns
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes I keep my bathroom stocked with them:laugh:

TurfEditor
09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Sweaty -
Thanks -- we'll always take constructive criticism/comments.

Kathy explained the ad/edit ratio. The post office would allow us to go as high as 75% ads/25% editorial, but we have NEVER even come close to approaching that.

We generally shoot for between 60% and 65% ad to edit ratio. If you go to the Table of Contents, you can quickly count how many editorial pieces are in that issue. I think we publish a LOT of info in each issue, sometimes too much.

I'm glad you liked the sport field article. Keep in mind that not every article can be coimprehensive about the entire subject area. we have to narrow the topics down, and hopefully, over the course of time, we'll manage to get to all of them.

BTW - the field designs are done with a roller.

David
Exec. Editor