PDA

View Full Version : Too much moisture?

CSRA Landscaping
04-17-2001, 09:08 PM
I had a job at an Econolodge where I installed several shrubs and a sprinkler. The soil in the island was so hard that in some places, I had to use a mattock to dig in it. Now, I'm being told, a couple of the nandinas are dying and one or two of the Indian Hawthorns is turning white. I was wondering if that could be because they're still retaining too much moisture. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they're being overwatered. Thanks in advance folks.

GroundKprs
04-17-2001, 10:09 PM
If you had to work so hard to get a planting hole, did you ever consider how water would drain out of the planting hole after it was filled? If you dig in heavy or compacted soil like this, you are basically creating a bathtub with no drain, then installing your plant material in the bathtub, and refilling around it with loosened soil. Of course any plant in this situation will drown.

If you cannot break through the compaction/heavy soil in a reasonable depth, then you have to install the plant with main part of the root ball above ground level. This is the only way to keep the plant from drowning in that situation. This is easy to do with weeping type plants, and evergreen shrubs or trees are especially good in this situation, because the foilage will conceal the raised root ball all year. Very critical installation is necessary, because most needled evergreens are not water tolerant - a little too deep and they are gone. Have seen yews decline in a well drained soil, because they were placed right at downspout outlets.

lawnboy82
04-17-2001, 10:28 PM
what kind of soil are you in? clay? clay loam? silt? silt loam? i would gather that you are either in clay or clay loam. you gotta ammend that or else the water will just sit there.

CSRA Landscaping
04-17-2001, 11:39 PM
Yeah I sort of thought so too, so I planted it in good soil that I brought in. Apparently I didn't makes the holes large enough for them and that soil is retaining too much as well. I will prob take and raise them up like Jim said and perhaps put some gypsum down to boot.