PDA

View Full Version : Diamond plate lengths?

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
02-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Anyone know where I can buy Diamond plating in lengths like 5 or 8 feet long? I want to use them as runners inside an enclosed trailer. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

UNISCAPER
02-19-2006, 09:14 PM
You should be able to get steel or aluminum at most metal supply yards. If you want to save a buck or two check out an iron salvage place. Many ofg them save good pieces of usable stock and the usual sake price is 1/2-1/3 what new manufacturered metals go for.

TURF DOCTOR
02-19-2006, 09:19 PM
We run 2 box trailers, we purchased ours local we only did the back ramp door with runners,we also did the walls about 8 inches from the floor the walls take a beating, no matter how carefull you are the walls will get beat wood is soft.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
02-19-2006, 09:25 PM
We run 2 box trailers, we purchased ours local we only did the back ramp door with runners,we also did the walls about 8 inches from the floor the walls take a beating, no matter how carefull you are the walls will get beat wood is soft.

Where did you find your runners? Local metal shop? Thanks

TURF DOCTOR
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Local shop here i guess i got lucky here, can't remember the price.

maintenanceguy
02-19-2006, 10:59 PM
There's probably a steel supplier near you that can supply diamond plate in several thicknesses in 4x8 sheets. They will probably even shear any size you want for a few dollars more. I've bought lots of diamond plate in steel and aluminum for all sorts of projects. I usually have the supplier shear and bend whatever I need.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
02-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. I will try some steel shops in the morning and see what I can find! Thanks

Petr51488
02-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Why not try a scuffliner?

maintenanceguy
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Shop around. if by "steel shop", you mean a fabricator, you might pay a lot more than you need to. I've gotten prices for materials (raw not fabricated) that were 6 or 7 times what I'd pay for the same thing from a steel yard.

I have a steel yard about 20 miles from me and I can get stuff cheap. Much cheaper than having my local fab shop pick it up there and re-sell it to me.

Two weeks ago, I priced some 1/8" thick steel plate in 6" width. It's not anything you could find on the shelf and would have to be sheared out of bigger sheats of steel. The local fab shop guy wanted $225 for the steel. Steel yard wanted $75. This may not be a typical example but not far off.

Here are some pics of my local steel yard. The 26 outside acres of surplus metal with roadways paved with 1/2" and larger steel plate isn't shown. This place is like disneyland to me.

http://www.josephfazzioinc.com/servfacpics.html

Gravel Rat
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Search the junk yards you will find something you need I think you will get a shock when you find out the price of it. You can go here www.metalsdepot.com.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
02-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys... Great info! I appreciate it!!!

fga
02-20-2006, 08:41 PM
i don't know prices of "local yards" since we don't have too may, but this guy on ebay sells custom cut lengths, widths, whatever you want.
i have bought off him several ti,es, prices are the best i have seen, even with shipping (atleast in or area).
i had him cut me pieces for my dump truck bed, and i was going to have him cut lengths for the inside of my trailer, along the bottom edges. he maybe limited in shipping lengths, but.... (2) 5' lengths eaqual (1) 10' length:)

http://stores.ebay.com/Cutsmetal-Diamond-Plate-Store