PDA

View Full Version : Tail gate removal

mak2
02-19-2006, 09:05 PM
I bought a new trailer the end of last year. I cannot put down my tailgate with it attached becasue it would hit the crank. I am thinking about buying one of those cargo nets for the end of the bed to replace the tailgate. My question is, how hard is the tailgate on a 2004 F 150 to remove?:drinkup:

4x4Jim
02-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I bought a new trailer the end of last year. I cannot put down my tailgate with it attached becasue it would hit the crank. I am thinking about buying one of those cargo nets for the end of the bed to replace the tailgate. My question is, how hard is the tailgate on a 2004 F 150 to remove?:drinkup:

About as easy as it gets. Just unclip the cables and with the tailgate about half way down pull up on it. If you look at it, you can see how it slides on and off. Its really easy.

mak2
02-19-2006, 09:10 PM
O thanks. I just wondered becasue it has that lift assist. Thanks alot.

UNISCAPER
02-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Better yet, why not just either lower the ball on the hitch by using a drop hitch, or install a fold back tongue crank? That way you keep the factory gate and use it for advertising like all tailgates are made to do...

mak2
02-19-2006, 09:19 PM
I will think aobut flipping the ball hitch over, but wont that put more weight on my hitch? I have a tandem trailer. As for the tounge crank it is welded in, can that be changed? Thanks for the ideas, I do have a magnet sign for the tailgate.

UNISCAPER
02-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Just weld a piece of pipe the diamter of the pivot on the side of the tongue. When you drive, pivot it 90° and the gate will clear. As far as the reciever goes, as long as the tongue is level with the ground, you should be fine. If you are having too much weight toward the hitch, just shift the weight inside the trailer until you get what you need.

When we had our marina, we typically would tell the customers to take a bathroom scale and place it under the trailers tougue. Ideally you want 250lbs on a tandem boat trailer. I'm thinking with a landscape traler you might want near the same but your manufacturer would be best suited to tell you that one..

mak2
02-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks Bill. I learned a few things.

ed2hess
02-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Kinda wonder why you have a need to open the tail gate? We have run many years and never open the tail gate?

mak2
02-19-2006, 10:38 PM
I generally keep everything on the trailer, and that is a good point, if I lock the tailgate I would not accidently put in down adn scratch the paint. However, I do occassionally put things in the bed of the truck and lock them down so they are not visible from the highway. I lock my Stihl blower to the load lock in the bed becasue I have had stuff stolen while I am mowing on the other side of the Church. IF I lock it to the trailer it can still be seen and with a cable cutter could be stolen. I do plan to get the prolockers or weld myself up something to lock down my trimmers and blowers. If they cant see it it is not as tempting to steal it. Excellent thought thogh. I learn a lot on this site. Thanks