PDA

View Full Version : DUMP TRUCK - diff between electric and PTO dumping

bigjeeping
02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
What's the difference?

Jpocket
02-20-2006, 12:31 PM
PTO runs off the transmission or hydraulics, electric is just electric and has no affect on on the power train of the truck. it's like an electric lift gate.

lawnmaniac883
02-20-2006, 01:07 PM
PTO is an auxilary drive comming off of the transmission. This drive then is linked to your hydraulic pump and from there the pump will move fluid to the dump's hydraulics.

An electric pump uses electricity generated by the engine to run the pump and from there to the dumps hydraulics.

A PTO driven pump will last for a long time if not forever, electrics are not nearly as dependable. Electrics are a little simpler to set up and mount. For PTO driven units install is a little more intricate.

bigjeeping
02-20-2006, 01:45 PM
If they install the PTO is that the same as saying "central hydraulics"

Also... what are the benefits of a scissor hoist vs. telescoping, or vise versa?

thanks guys! :drinkup:

Gravel Rat
02-20-2006, 02:27 PM
For hydraulics you have 3 choices which is clutch pump which is like a air conditioning pump that pumps hydraulics you turn a switch on engages a pulley turns the pump off the front of the engine. Second choice PTO runs off your transmission its the most powerfull and reliable but is the most expensive. The PTO for a 5spd in light trucks is 500-700 dollars you still have to buy a pump and hydraulic tank that is another 600 dollars. Then last choice and last resort electric pump doesn't have much power it doesn't last long and its hard on batteries. If your doing repetive dumps say moving material around a site you don't want a electric hydraulic power pack.

Most tow trucks run a clutch pump most dump trucks run a PTO pump you really can't drive down the road with a PTO engaged. For that kind of application you need a crank driven pump kinda like you see on the front of redimix trucks.

For dump hoist I debated it and I went with the post hoist its the most bang for the buck. A post hoist will out lift a scissor hoist pound for pound also its less weight. A scissor hoist adds weight to your truck with the scissor mechanism the hoist I bought is rated for 8 ton I can lift it by hand the same rated scissor hoist weighs over 400lbs.

Itsgottobegreen
02-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Well it all depends on whether you want to rip your hair out or not waiting for the ever slow electric pumps to raise the bed. I got central hydro on my F-350 dump and its the only way to go. I will never buy another truck that doesn't have central hydro. If not, it will get one before its put into service.

lawnmaniac883
02-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Good post gravel rat! That was very clear as well as informative.

bigjeeping
02-20-2006, 06:38 PM
really can't drive down the road with a PTO engaged.

If I put a undertailgate spreader on... how do you lift the bed while you're driving?

Thanks so far everyone! Should be getting a dump installed within a few weeks

zim bob the landscaper
02-20-2006, 08:08 PM
evem though i dont drive i like PTO much better.

Lawnworks
02-20-2006, 08:11 PM
I bet the pto drive will be some serious $$$. I am getting electric installed on mine. Kit was about $1300 for 5 ton.

fga
02-20-2006, 08:30 PM
i worked with both types. i would choose an electric over pTO anyday.
you can pt the truck in park, get out and hold the box in your hands while you see what your dumping.
i've had to dump on a hill a few times, with both types. what a pain in the azz it was with foot a foot on the brake, and the other one trying to work the clutch/throttle.
electric much more convienient and safer in my opinion.

i don't know about strength of the lift, and i imagine the battery drain would be more.. but over all, no comparrison in my book. go with an electric.

zim bob the landscaper
02-20-2006, 09:03 PM
i worked with both types. i would choose an electric over pTO anyday.
you can pt the truck in park, get out and hold the box in your hands while you see what your dumping.
i've had to dump on a hill a few times, with both types. what a pain in the azz it was with foot a foot on the brake, and the other one trying to work the clutch/throttle.
electric much more convienient and safer in my opinion.

i don't know about strength of the lift, and i imagine the battery drain would be more.. but over all, no comparrison in my book. go with an electric.
yeah electric is alot better for smaller truck but a big truck forget it would not be able to do it. well i go with my dad on his full time job (wicked good time gives me time to talk to my dad) trucking that is a big truck one of the biggest on the road. we dump at least 10 loads a day depending on where we are going and the PTO system is wicked fast so thats what is good about the PTO.

JB1
02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I've had two with electric with no problem, but it depends on how your using it and how many times a day your actually dumping it, in my case it works for me.

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 10:45 PM
I don't know how Ford does it, but with a GM product you can get aq PTO driven shift on the fly (hot shift) directly through a dashboard switch on the 45-6500 series for an additional $780.00. You can drive down the road with a shift on the fly and disengage it any time you want by hitting the button.

Electric dumps are weak, won't lift as much, and extremely slow. Plus if they are installed right with a 150 amp breaker in line, under a heavy lift, that breaker pops all the time.

The only way I would ever run an electric lift again is for a spare truck or something that ran short local delivery. They are just not mean't for serious work.

FosterLawnscaping
02-21-2006, 12:19 AM
You guys crying about electric dumps must have had junk ones. I have one on my '94 1 ton hooked to a 3 stage single cylinder. It is no slower than a pto, you have COMPLETE control when tailgating, no messing with the clutch, brake, gas..... , I never popped a breaker, if you keep your batteries and charging system in good shape you will have no problem draining your battery. The electric setup is all original and 12 years old and has been USED hard. On a job moving dirt I've had it heaped with wet dirt/stumps falling over the top boards estimated 6 tons and it dumped better than the other pto dumps I've run. On that particular job I hauled 26 consecutive loads just like this with only around 200 yards in between loading and dumping areas and my batteries didn't cook or run out, or fry my alternator or give me any other problems. If I were to get a new truck it would be the same setup, electric lift with a single 3 stage hoist and lets not forget those extra springs that were installed, (20 leafs per side) It's a smooth riding Ford.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2006, 04:02 AM
The second best option is a clutch pump there are kits out there to mount it to the engine and run a belt to it.

The other option for auxilary hydraulics is a small gas engine running a pump kinda like what a wood splitter has that way you can run what ever you need to run.

zim bob the landscaper
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
You guys crying about electric dumps must have had junk ones. I have one on my '94 1 ton hooked to a 3 stage single cylinder. It is no slower than a pto, you have COMPLETE control when tailgating, no messing with the clutch, brake, gas..... , I never popped a breaker, if you keep your batteries and charging system in good shape you will have no problem draining your battery. The electric setup is all original and 12 years old and has been USED hard. On a job moving dirt I've had it heaped with wet dirt/stumps falling over the top boards estimated 6 tons and it dumped better than the other pto dumps I've run. On that particular job I hauled 26 consecutive loads just like this with only around 200 yards in between loading and dumping areas and my batteries didn't cook or run out, or fry my alternator or give me any other problems. If I were to get a new truck it would be the same setup, electric lift with a single 3 stage hoist and lets not forget those extra springs that were installed, (20 leafs per side) It's a smooth riding Ford.
then u must have a really nice one, because when my uncle had his 2005 F-350 dump. we asked him to deliver loam and bark mulch to our jobs, and it took a long time for it to get it all out, and the thing was a junker was spilling hydraulic fluid all over the place, and one time it must of weighed to much because it was squeaking. but other than that it was a nice truck. but the mirrors suck.

zim bob the landscaper
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
then u must have a really nice one, because when my uncle had his 2005 F-350 dump. we asked him to deliver loam and bark mulch to our jobs, and it took a long time for it to get it all out, and the thing was a junker was spilling hydraulic fluid all over the place, and one time it must of weighed to much because it was squeaking. but other than that it was a nice truck. but the mirrors suck.

fga
02-21-2006, 12:03 PM
my brother had a 94' 450 superduty electric. that thing was awesome and dumped whatever he had in there... never an issue.

Jpocket
02-21-2006, 01:44 PM
I think what we are missing here is that there is a difference between a landscaper who hauls mulch once a week and makes 2-3 loads, and someone who is in the trucking business and does 15 loads a day.

AN electric lift is fine for a landscaper who mulches in the spring and does little odds and end hauling yard debris.

You NEED a PTO dump if you hauling 30 yards of Sand in a ten wheeler. 5 days a week.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
If you are going to have a dump truck you are going to probably want to haul more than one or two loads a week. When I had my 88 F-450 some days I was hauling 4 7000-8000lb loads of gravel in one day.

The PTO and pump on that truck had no problems dumping the load with the engine idling I would rev it up to dump faster.

If you got the money go with a PTO hydraulics it will last you longer its faster the price of a 12volt hydraulic pump here is 650 dollars.

Itsgottobegreen
02-28-2006, 02:20 AM
The PTO and pump on that truck had no problems dumping the load with the engine idling I would rev it up to dump faster..
I love showing guys how fast it will dump. Pull the lever and mash down on the gas and that sucker shoots right up. 8 seconds to full dump with 3 tons of gravel (I know I was over loaded) :rolleyes:

One of my best friend said the PTO dump is the only thing he likes about my truck. (he is a chevy man) He really wish his Chevy 5500 landscape dump was PTO cause it is so freaking slow at dumping.

Metro Lawn
02-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Electric - simple to install, but cheaper - generally slower and weaker than a pto

PTO - more expensive and harder install, but faster and stronger. Can be plumbed to operate several items (bed,spreader auger, spinner, ect.)

A dump with an electric pump won't run the average tailgate spreader, they will generally need a self powered V-box. As for the pto, I generally don't lift the box while in motion except when dumping.. pulling ahead just enough to keep material flow. Salting: I lift the box until I feel the material move, lock the bed in place or even lower it back down a bit, start the spinner, and finally activate the auger as salt is needed. You just repeat the process as you need more material.

Mgardner
02-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Electric over hydraulics for me. I have two one ton ,both have Rugby hoists 250 amp breaker has never tripped once. Use them all day in any weather and stand beside truck and watch the load. Slow ? I haven`t seen any slow units ,and I would imagine they are out there. Rugby will always be no matter what size truck, what we use for commercial ,full time landscaping. The only thing I would do different is double acting instead of single. Simpler and when greasing or working on brakes ,just hit the up button and prop it up. Our PTO units are in the weeds on the back of the property .