PDA

View Full Version : Need a new Truck!

ColePyck
02-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey guys I come to you for wisdom on my dilema. I have a 95 GMC 1500 with 160k on it, its a nice truck 4x4 hauls my mowing trailer and dump fine. It leaks oil, and there always seems to be something breaking on it. Well its paid for and I am stuck between a couple different ideas for a new vehicle.

Keep the 95 and spend 20k on other aspects of my business

Trade the 95 in on a 2500HD w/ duramax

Keep the 95 and finance a BMW X5, and just keep spending money on the 95 to keep it running

Trade the 95 in on a Tundra or Nissan Titan

I am just hesitant about getting another GM product, I want something that will last and not be leaking oil in 10 years. I know the duramax is built to last but i can spend 20k on a X5 and KNOW it will still be a quality vehicle in 10 years, compared to a American product that might be crap and will probably lose most of its value in 10 years. Are GMs built today a better built vehicle than 10 years ago?

kc2006
02-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Yea american vehicles are junk. Our 96 3500's engine just lost oil pressure the other day. Those 7.4 vortecs are junk, 254,000 original miles and it gives up already.

Buy your jap truck and see how long it lasts, never heard good about newer jap trucks and heavy work loads. Good luck with their "10 year warrenties" too, a friend worked at a kia dealership and said they NEVER once gave a warrenty on something over 3 years, they found a reason to get out of it.

As for the new chevy's, the ls series engines are very much so the best engine gm's ever come up with. The duramax is also a very good work horse. And GM trucks hold their value...but any truck thats 10 years old isn't gunna bring in top dollar. After they brought out the vortecs in 96 its all been up hill for gm trucks.

zim bob the landscaper
02-20-2006, 02:06 PM
i would go with he 2500HD w/ duramax we have a 94 2500HD gas and the thing is awsome i think we will still get a couple more years out of it. we plow and pull mowing equipment with it. you should go with the 2500 HD duramax IMO

ColePyck
02-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Yea american vehicles are junk. Our 96 3500's engine just lost oil pressure the other day. Those 7.4 vortecs are junk, 254,000 original miles and it gives up already.

Buy your jap truck and see how long it lasts, never heard good about newer jap trucks and heavy work loads. Good luck with their "10 year warrenties" too, a friend worked at a kia dealership and said they NEVER once gave a warrenty on something over 3 years, they found a reason to get out of it.

As for the new chevy's, the ls series engines are very much so the best engine gm's ever come up with. The duramax is also a very good work horse. And GM trucks hold their value...but any truck thats 10 years old isn't gunna bring in top dollar. After they brought out the vortecs in 96 its all been up hill for gm trucks.

There is a difference between Korean and Japenese. I wouldnt buy a Kia, they dont even makes trucks anyways. If you havent been around the last 5 years the japanese market is doing something right by taking over American market shares and building better quality vehicles. Nissan and Toyota are both repuatble names in the auto industry....I know some guys on this site even haul with the Nissan Titan

kc2006
02-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Yea they're doing something right, its called selling way cheaper then american brands. Money talks to consumers (most anyway, the ones that just read reviews and think OH WOW THESE ARE GREAT!)

Cheap parts, cheap labor, cheap trucks.

kc2006
02-20-2006, 02:44 PM
And before I'm told "But they're built in america" its still cheap labor, compair what their workers get paid (10-12 an hour if that) to american companies.

"but at least they're still made here" will be the next response, and I'll have to answer "and wheres all the profit go? In to our economy right" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's my new thing, if a company uses forein trucks, I don't deal with them. This is a big stickler in my area because we have a gm plant in town. If I drove all yota's, I bet I'd lose a few of the gm retiree's that are customers.

ColePyck
02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
And before I'm told "But they're built in america" its still cheap labor, compair what their workers get paid (10-12 an hour if that) to american companies.

"but at least they're still made here" will be the next response, and I'll have to answer "and wheres all the profit go? In to our economy right" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's my new thing, if a company uses forein trucks, I don't deal with them. This is a big stickler in my area because we have a gm plant in town. If I drove all yota's, I bet I'd lose a few of the gm retiree's that are customers.

John Deere....built in USA......what about the Yanmar diesel engine......is that Yanmar, OHIO its built in.....I dont think so. Its not all about cheaper wages, its about better engineering as well.

nobagger
02-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I am running into the same problem, My 94 F150 is in like new condition but I have put a ton of $$$$ into this truck but I only see it lasting a couple more years. I think at that point you would be further ahead to buy the Duramax. It should last you 200-300k miles I would think. The BMW I'm not sure what that is, but I wouldn't think any foreign truck would have power that American trucks do. I know a guy that has a 92 F350 2wd turbo diesel that has over 300k on it and it looks and runs like it's brand new.

ColePyck
02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
I am running into the same problem, My 94 F150 is in like new condition but I have put a ton of $$$$ into this truck but I only see it lasting a couple more years. I think at that point you would be further ahead to buy the Duramax. It should last you 200-300k miles I would think. The BMW I'm not sure what that is, but I wouldn't think any foreign truck would have power that American trucks do. I know a guy that has a 92 F350 2wd turbo diesel that has over 300k on it and it looks and runs like it's brand new.

Thanks that is what I am leaning towards, the BMW X5 is a Luxury SUV, I woudnt use it for work, just something nice to drive in the winter.

lawn masters 2006
02-20-2006, 03:19 PM
:hammerhead: a ten yr old truck should probly leak oil some wear,thats why u have to keep up w maintance....id rather drive a older truck an put money in it now an then than pay a payment every month.350 vortec is the best motor gm made,i had a chevy w a 5.3 vortec in it an it was a dogg...trade it in for a older chevy w the 5.7....deisels are a big expence to main tain..to strat the need 10 + qts of oil for a dang oil change....just my .02:usflag:

Jpocket
02-20-2006, 04:56 PM
get the Duramax, or even a 6.0 or 8.1 l gas job. You talking about a 10 year old Work vehical, they aren't gonna last 20 years like a grocery getter.
As far as im concerned the JAPS don't make a work truck outside of the Cab overs.

Oh and it would stupid to buy an X5 and have your only other vehical be a an old Pick up. You'd be better off buying a new truck, and pickin up a used play toy.

My business is my lively hood, and an x5 can't make any money unless your a pimp.

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Do with the Dmax and keep far away from the boob job mobile that every niuckle and dime millionaire seems to have to get to show how successful they are. The boob job mobile will loose 10K the minute you drive off the showroom floor and won't make you a dime.

Keep far awar from the stuff made from the land of the red ball. Niether one of them is a serious work truck. Yuppies buy them with all the crap trucks don't need and don't do any work with them.

As far as wrenching on what you have now, how much is your time worth?

How much is your time

cantoo
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't know much about them but I do know that there are getting to be a bunch of Toyota pick up trucks around here. You guys that are bashing them have you driven one or is it what you have heard or think? There is a big Toyota plant not far from here and I have heard they are offering big incentives to employees to drive them.

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
My personal opinion regarding Toyota and Sneeze-On is simply that I would never buy a product owned and controlled by the government that bombed Pearl Harbor.

My personal advice is if you are serious about landscaping, you will know it is hard heavy work. Toyota trucks, along with any other half ton truck regardless of brand and all the doctored and candied up pull ratings, is not what you want to be using to pull equipment 8 hours a day. 1/2 ton trucks are basically toy trucks designed for the weekend warrior who needs to on occasion haul their boat to the lake, pick up supplies, or perhaps pull a light trailer. They are not intended to use as a work horse. They don't have the brakes, suspension or features necessary to do your work with any kind of efficiency. Thus, why of the choices given, I would recommend the Dmax/GM truck.

kc2006
02-21-2006, 10:42 PM
My personal opinion regarding Toyota and Sneeze-On is simply that I would never buy a product owned and controlled by the government that bombed Pearl Harbor.

:clapping: Thank you! BTW didn't they use mitzubishi planes to bomb us there?

The people that buy all the vehicles that are owned by foreign companies (but oh gawd they're built here! that means they're fine!) are the same people that complain about bush sending jobs over sea's....Well not all, but most.

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 10:52 PM
There is another underlying issue. In proportion, very few American businesses have been let into Japan to operate. The only reason Caterpillar is allowed for example is because they own 61% of Mitsubishi Heavy indistries. Mitsu was failing just like Isuzu when GM bailed them out. GM owns 25% of Isuzu, and Cat owns 61% of Mitsu. And yes, they made those Zeros. Komatsu made the bombs. Hitachi made fire arms and rounds used to kill enemy soldiers.

And with all this globalization crap going on, in the event we were ever attacked like we were then, we could never tool up as hard and fast as we did and show them who is boss.

lawnmaniac883
02-21-2006, 11:04 PM
:hammerhead: a ten yr old truck should probly leak oil some wear,thats why u have to keep up w maintance....id rather drive a older truck an put money in it now an then than pay a payment every month.350 vortec is the best motor gm made,i had a chevy w a 5.3 vortec in it an it was a dogg...trade it in for a older chevy w the 5.7....deisels are a big expence to main tain..to strat the need 10 + qts of oil for a dang oil change....just my .02:usflag:

Regarding diesels being a big expense to maintain, I do not see how.
For regular maintenance on a diesel you get two to three times the mileage on the oil, 7500 vs 3000.
Other than oil, you just need to change out the fuel filter every 15000 miles as well as the air filter every 30000 miles and the tranny fluid.
These are the manufacturers specs for a cummins btw, not sure if the dmax has the same specs or not.
Ok then now lets compare that to a gutless gasser shall we?
A) Oil every 3000 or so miles
B) Air filter every 30000 miles
C) Spark plugs/wires every ~50,000 miles
D) Trans fluid every 30000 miles
Now, after this comparison, how is a diesel a BIG expense to maintain? Seem rather equal if not less to maintain IMO.

Go with the duramax 2500hd, you'll be glad you did!

kc2006
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
The only drawbacks to diesel for me, is winter. First year i had my diesel was a nightmare, I had weak batteries so if it was under 20 out, she wouldn't have it. This year was going great, had the good power service white bottle additive in every tank, then out of no where, bad fuel, algae up the wazzoo in my fuel filter and who knows what other damage its doing right now (just happend).

If you take your truck to get serviced, parts for diesels are big $, I have a 96 ford so its all easy to work on, I've never taken it into a shop. New trucks, you got warrenty so your good for 5 years for the most part.

Smalltimer1
02-22-2006, 08:08 AM
The only drawbacks to diesel for me, is winter. First year i had my diesel was a nightmare, I had weak batteries so if it was under 20 out, she wouldn't have it. This year was going great, had the good power service white bottle additive in every tank, then out of no where, bad fuel, algae up the wazzoo in my fuel filter and who knows what other damage its doing right now (just happend).

If you take your truck to get serviced, parts for diesels are big $, I have a 96 ford so its all easy to work on, I've never taken it into a shop. New trucks, you got warrenty so your good for 5 years for the most part.

Keep the water separator drained and algae shouldn't be a problem. In fact I need to drain mine today or tomorrow whenever I get the time.:dizzy:

Travis Followell
02-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Regarding diesels being a big expense to maintain, I do not see how.
For regular maintenance on a diesel you get two to three times the mileage on the oil, 7500 vs 3000.
Other than oil, you just need to change out the fuel filter every 15000 miles as well as the air filter every 30000 miles and the tranny fluid.
These are the manufacturers specs for a cummins btw, not sure if the dmax has the same specs or not.
Ok then now lets compare that to a gutless gasser shall we?
A) Oil every 3000 or so miles
B) Air filter every 30000 miles
C) Spark plugs/wires every ~50,000 miles
D) Trans fluid every 30000 miles
Now, after this comparison, how is a diesel a BIG expense to maintain? Seem rather equal if not less to maintain IMO.

Go with the duramax 2500hd, you'll be glad you did!
The Dmax oil change interval is 10,000 miles and the new Cummins engines are 15,000 miles.

lawnmaniac883
02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Travis, this is true with the severe running conditions recommended interval. I.E. cruising on the highway all day...