PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Truck Value?

nherweck
02-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi, I can't find the value for a truck this old...so can any of you give me some assistance? What it is is a 77 Ford 1 ton , 2wd, hydro dump bed, 3 speed w/ bulldog (?), new tires & wheels, believes 109,000 miles (it says 9,000 on the odometer), everything is pretty much in working condition, needing rear breaks soon. He's wanting 3900 for it. I'm guessing this is steep? What do you guys think?

fga
02-20-2006, 02:28 PM
that does sound alittle much in my opinion. the truck is almost 30 years old. i'm not one preaching to buy brand new trucks, as i have had older trucks forever... but i usaully try and get a deal atleast. isn't that usaully why we look at older trucks?
got a pic of it?

brakes on those trucks are exspensive! if you have to change the drums or rotors.:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Without pictures its hard to tell what the value will be as those old trucks which I have had are prone to rust. Doing the rear brakes are not bad when you do them you change everything even the wheelbearings if they look bad.

The old 70s trucks don't stop that well so doing the best job you can do on the brakes the better.

Oh what size of motor does this truck have if its a 360 plan on very poor fuel mileage.

nherweck
02-20-2006, 02:41 PM
i don't have any pictures at hand, ill try to get some posted later, i'll run by his house and get some pics taken. But yes, that was my only reason for even talking to him about it...to get a deal....because I won't have any extra cash to spare untill late spring.

jacob land and
02-20-2006, 02:52 PM
i thought old dump trucks were supposed to be dirt cheap went and looked at a gmc 1500 dump with 450k miles and the guy wanted $3600 for it, it would be cheaper in the long run to just go out and buy a new one

Jpocket
02-20-2006, 08:23 PM
If it's painted with a flawless body, new everything, chrome inserts..etc.
Id give $3500

But for the average old Ford Dump $1500 Esp. if it the original motor, and the truck has some cancer.

nherweck
02-20-2006, 08:32 PM
Here are some pics from my camera phone...I didn't zoom in at all due to limited space, so the pics are pretty small. Here they are though!

nherweck
02-20-2006, 08:33 PM
...and for the interior...it looks like it's OK shape..it was used for a lawn care business (go figure), so it has oil stains on the carpet, and the seats are worn down, but not torn. The passenger side door panel is gone as well. That is all I could see from the outside

MudslinginFX4
02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Some people are going to disagee but I think one of the best business moves I ever made was to buy a newer dump truck. In the year I've had the truck it has more then paid for itself (literally) and has saved me so much time over an older truck that I had.

Previously I had a 1990 f350 diesel that was in excellent shape. I think I paid $5000 for it with 110,000 miles on it, sold it 4 months later for $7,500. Don't get me wrong, it's better then nothing, but there was nothing fast about this truck. My new truck can pull heavy loads a lot faster and safer, can carry more weight, and can dump debri a lot easier. Not to mention it doesn't eat through tires, I don't have to always fix somthing going wrong with it, there is no down time etc..

I think starting out if I were you I'd consider a dump trailer for the same amount of money as that truck if you have another truck to pull the trailer with.

Pictures of old truck and new:

Jpocket
02-20-2006, 09:26 PM
The truck is perfect if you can / Don't mind working on it.
For me the older trucks are the way to go b/c we hardly put any miles on them and we can fix everything in house.

We put less than 3,000 miles on my dump truck in a year. All but one of the trucks are Emissions exempt. My old pick up gets about 4,000 miles per year...so a new truck really doesn't amke sense. UNLESS I sold everything and got a brand new Dump every 4years. But that would still cost me more per month than I currently pay for repairs. $500 per month vs. $1,000 per year in Maint. and repairs. Plus for plowing you need a spare truck sitting and ready to go. I wouldn't trust a new truck with all the electronics plowing. If one of those lights come on at 3am and you don't have a spare truck you're screwd

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I sold a '77 with a 390, 2wd, meyers plow, dump, brand new everything on the brakes, brand new clutch tires 70% for $1,200.00 when I moved here 4 years ago.

It was a good truck, just extremely limited.

Flip the guy $1,500 tops or move along. You got an old horse that might be needing a bullet sooner or later and for $4K you can find something newer or better.

fga
02-20-2006, 10:01 PM
I think starting out if I were you I'd consider a dump trailer for the same amount of money as that truck if you have another truck to pull the trailer with.

excellent suggestion. nice dump trailer with multi-uses. brand new in that price range. and no insurance costs for it! here i pay abut $20 a year for registration, and that's it.
if i had the room, that's what i would have... in addition to my enclosed trailer.
got my wheels turning mudsling...

nherweck
02-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm not really looking for the truck for the fact that it's a dump truck..but rather that it is a 1 ton and can pull quite a bit more than my mini truck. The dump is just an added bonus for me.

Smalltimer1
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I'm not really looking for the truck for the fact that it's a dump truck..but rather that it is a 1 ton and can pull quite a bit more than my mini truck. The dump is just an added bonus for me.

I'd offer $2500 cash and see what that does for you. The truck itself may not be worth that much, but the hydraulics, if they are good, are worth a considerable amount. Most 1/2 tons that old are bringing $1500 easy around here. The '77-'79 (and '73-'79) body in general is very desirable by collectors and at least around here, even parts vehicles command a premium price.

Offering anything less than that will insult the seller and end all chances of you (or anyone else) getting the truck cheaply.

Being that it's a '77 it would have either a 300 straight 6, 351M, 400, or 460 V8, the 360/390 FE series engines were discontinued in '76 in the pickups. If it's got a 302, that means the engine has been replaced at least once, because 302's have never been available in F-350's, even back then. I wouldn't have a 1 ton with a 302, because it is simply too small for that size and weight of truck.

I'm not real fond of the '77-'79 400's because a good many of the early ones had problems with their oil pump output. If it's been rebuilt though it should be ok. The 400 is a torque monster when properly tuned and matched with a 650-700cfm carburetor. I'll see if I can remember who I read had built his 400 to make 500+hp but yet have the low end grunt to move the truck it was in.

captken
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Then you have to look at longivity....
The truck makes me nostalgic...hell, I graduated high school in 1975...junior in college when this truck was new.
We ran a 77' Ford on the farm at that time and it was bulletproof....29 years ago....rats!
I don't know, its a crap shoot,

kenny:drinkup:

captken
02-20-2006, 11:17 PM
The truck we had on the farm had a 460 cubic inch motor. Gets no gas mileage at all. I can remember flooring it on the highway and watching the gas hand move....but how that vehicle would move....! very fast. It will not satisfy your needs for a tow vehicle based on fuel economy. IMOP.:rolleyes:

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Actually early '77 1 tons used 390's because they had trouble with the M series from the gate. The other thing they did was used '76 brake rotors and calipers on that year. The rear drums on the '76 were 1 inch narrower than the '77 as were the brake shoes. About mid term '77 they began using the M series engines after they ran the 390/360 off the shevles. Our truck had '76 brakes and the 390 engine. The reason I know this is because whenever we had to repair this truck, especially brakes, no numbers at the auto parts store would jive with the correct part. Many occasions we had to take pieces from the truck down to compare what was behind the counter. After doing this a few times we called the local Ford dealer and talked to the parts manager. He showed the number supercision where these parts were used on certain coded VIN's.

After we figured out what to get when we needed it, the whole thing became easier to deal with. On another note, that wheel combo had a tendancy to loosen lug nuts if you did not check them regularly. It was before Ford used a lock ring under the wheel nut. This unit had a stamped, inverted and protruding depression alternating into the rim, which was a split rim with a limb looser ring."
Engine wise it was easy to see what was there because the 360/390 has an intake manifold that splits half the head under the valve cover. The intake weights near 120 lbs and is a major PIA to change. Rather than having every exhaust manifold bolt dead end into the cylinder head, the 360/390 will have the lower bolt open ended and the top bolt dead ended into the head.
Also the driveshafts on that truck also were very weak. Small diameter, and thin walled. Plowing is not recommended. With the rear spinning off and on during a snow event, the times the rear wheels hook up on more tractable pavement cause the driveline to snap. Usually the shaft would pretzel twist until I welded a pice of 1/4" tubing in place of the standard tube and had it balanced. Occasionally the yoke would crack in half after that but the problem subsided after we tweeked it..

Anyhow, I stand on what I said before. $1,500 tops.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2006, 02:54 AM
A brand new F-450 4x4 reg cab with a 11' dump is anywhere from 45,000-50,000 dollars you would need allot of work to pay for it. I think I will stick with a older truck for 50 grand I would be buying a good used tandem axle something that will make money.

Little trucks don't make big money they are worn out by the time they are paid for. Little trucks are more for convenience and general work trucks.

My 95 F-450 cost me 15,000 I will eventually put a dump on it thats another 7000 dollars thats enough spent on a truck for me.

Jpocket
02-21-2006, 09:59 AM
If this is going to be youe only REAL truck, since you said you have a mini truck, I would get something newer. Like a nice 96-98 3500 Dump with low miles. Thats too old if your only gonna have 'one'. If your making a living at this you need to have something that is reliable. It would be differnt if you had 2 or 3 of these trucks, but only one and a full work load youor asking for trouble.

nherweck
02-21-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm not financially able to purchase a truck that new...that is why I'm looking for an older truck that I can afford.

Smalltimer1
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm not financially able to purchase a truck that new...that is why I'm looking for an older truck that I can afford.

Again, offer $2500 and go from there. If he's receptable, maybe try $2000 depending on condition, but the truck appears to not be scrap, but obviously not really a piece to restore either. I look at it in a component type basis. Running vehicle=$500 + 1 ton chassis, heavier components on it, etc.=$1000 + dump body = $1000 which comes to a final total of $2500. If you parted it out you obviously would do better, but that is a fair estimate of value that I use. Lowballing doesn't do anything but piss off the seller. I know, I've tried.:laugh:

For example, the Snapper in my sig, I was asking $1000 for it. I knew I probably wouldn't get it, but I was shooting for $750. I had one person who lived a long distance away offer me $400 for it, and I basically laughed at them, not to be rude, but because I knew I could do better elsewhere. A month later, I was offered $850 for it by a local guy, and I took it. Amazing what a little patience can do.

fga
02-21-2006, 06:46 PM
buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUMP-TRAILER-12-000-GVW-6-X-12-TANDEM-AXLES_W0QQitemZ7592033229QQcategoryZ95495QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and oull it as long as you can with your current ride. if you have the business that actually needs a dump body, then you can save atleast $3000 over the year and buy a decent pick up.
if you don't have the money at once, you have to buy things gradually. it has taken me about 8 years to get where i am... i average a new truck every year and a half... stepping up as i go. my truck and trailer aren't super duty, but they run, look, and drive excellent and do the work perfect.

i figure i'll buy another dumptruck in about 2 years, maybe a dmp trailer depending on the amount of work i am deep in. just my opinion.