PDA

View Full Version : What order did you purchase your equipment in?

Drafto
02-20-2006, 09:44 PM
I was out looking at equipment today, skid steers, mini-ex's, compactors, concrete buggys, and more compactors. I was just wondering what order most of you guys purchased your equipment in?

When the time comes, I was thinking large compactor (no-brainer), then mini-ex and concrete buggy, then skid steer (I am actually leaning trac-steer). I was looking at a Toro dingo too. After I was at the CAT dealer and I was tooling around in an 257 I was thinking skid should be the first piece.

What are some of your theories as to the order you purchased your equipment in and what were the reasons? Also, when I was at the CAT dealer I booked the 257 for a large project we have coming up I was shocked it is $900/week to rent. Almost makes me think purchasing one is the only way to go.

Dan

cgland
02-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Our first large piece was a skid steer. I got sick of renting one at $750-$1000/week and it raining 3 days...:hammerhead: :cry: IMO a skid steer is a must for a hardscaping crew. I'm sure others will say not, but when you consider that you can excavate, grade, stage materials, move pallets..etc. It is a very valuable tool. Also get yourself a nice reversible plate compactor like the Wacker 2450 (Mike has one, as will I soon) ICPI just raised it's minimum requirements for compaction, so a larger machine will be in order. I like the 2450 because it hits at 5,600# and can be used for base and paver seating (Although ICPI is calling for 7000# for the base, which I think is a bit unrealistic.) Mini - X's are nice, but you can rent those as needed.

Chris

Drafto
02-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Our first large piece was a skid steer. I got sick of renting one at $750-$1000/week and it raining 3 days...:hammerhead: :cry: IMO a skid steer is a must for a hardscaping crew. I'm sure others will say not, but when you consider that you can excavate, grade, stage materials, move pallets..etc. It is a very valuable tool. Also get yourself a nice reversible plate compactor like the Wacker 2450 (Mike has one, as will I soon) ICPI just raised it's minimum requirements for compaction, so a larger machine will be in order. I like the 2450 because it hits at 5,600# and can be used for base and paver seating (Although ICPI is calling for 7000# for the base, which I think is a bit unrealistic.) Mini - X's are nice, but you can rent those as needed.

Chris

Comapactor wise I was going real large, like 10,000-14,000#'s. We have a small 3500# for pavers and I want one large enough to not have to do any lifts, or minimal lifts (6" max). I agree with the skidsteer, but after renting the excavator a few times, I am convinced I won't excavate with a skid-steer again. After talking with a few excavating companies in the area I was interviewing to sub work to, I was surprised that most (3 out of 4) will use an ex for a driveway project we have coming up......I mean I was shocked. So that kind of had me leaning towards an ex instead of a SS. I hope others chime in so we can hear more opinions.

Dan

cgland
02-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Comapactor wise I was going real large, like 10,000-14,000#'s. We have a small 3500# for pavers and I want one large enough to not have to do any lifts, or minimal lifts (6" max). I agree with the skidsteer, but after renting the excavator a few times, I am convinced I won't excavate with a skid-steer again. After talking with a few excavating companies in the area I was interviewing to sub work to, I was surprised that most (3 out of 4) will use an ex for a driveway project we have coming up......I mean I was shocked. So that kind of had me leaning towards an ex instead of a SS. I hope others chime in so we can hear more opinions.

Dan

I guess we will agree to disagree! I don't believe that you can control the digging depth as well as a SS. Plus w/ a SS you can backdrag and level your excavation much better. An excavator is a great tool if you find yourself in an overdig situation or are digging wall footers, but not for patios, walks, pool decks, etc. Not going to happen! JMO though!
P.S. 10,000-14,000 is waaayyy to big! Try taking that next to a foundation. 5K - 7K is perfect!

Chris

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Dump trucks, then roll off trucks, then 257B's then Mini-X's, then track drive and tire driven power buggies. In the middle of the mix a Bomag pad foot vibratory roller, jumping and vibratory compactors, we made two 20" saws, cut off saws, etc etc. I just got pricing for a 14" Edco table saw with expandable yuppy devices and a vaccum.

Does it ever freeken end?

cgland
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
The answer is no! Not if you want to stay competitive!

Chris

Drafto
02-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Dump trucks, then roll off trucks, then 257B's then Mini-X's, then track drive and tire driven power buggies. In the middle of the mix a Bomag pad foot vibratory roller, jumping and vibratory compactors, we made two 20" saws, cut off saws, etc etc. I just got pricing for a 14" Edco table saw with expandable yuppy devices and a vaccum.

Does it ever freeken end?

Roll off trucks? Like the trash companies use for dumpsters, this is very interesting. You can have multiple containers at multiple job sites and one driver emptying containers all day instead of having multiple dump trucks on the road. If you could do it over again Bill, wold you have chosen the same order?

Dan

UNISCAPER
02-20-2006, 10:55 PM
I guess we will agree to disagree! I don't believe that you can control the digging depth as well as a SS. Plus w/ a SS you can backdrag and level your excavation much better. An excavator is a great tool if you find yourself in an overdig situation or are digging wall footers, but not for patios, walks, pool decks, etc. Not going to happen! JMO though!
P.S. 10,000-14,000 is waaayyy to big! Try taking that next to a foundation. 5K - 7K is perfect!

Put a computer assited lazer on the mini-x and all the operator ever does is turns and dumps. We can get within 1/2" of whatever we need to hit.

Drafto
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Chris

For our applications I think using an EX to excavate a patio, or walkway is better than a skidsteer for a few reason (please disagree b/c I respect many people on this board and value each opinion I get on here):

1. if I can put my dump trailer within reach is does much less turf damage than a SS in and out
2. hands down with my limited experience on any equipment i found the EX to be entirely more accurate and efficient than the SS
3. even spreading and staging materials, I have unloaded the dump trailer with the EX to drop materials right where I needed them.
4. the rutting from a wheeled SS in the types of soils we have around here create quite a mess!

All right, all of the above means nothing when you consider my experience level compared to some on this board. Do I know how to run a SS? I have no idea! I have some hours in them but I need to see one used properly for an excavation before my opinion means anything!

Dan

P.S. We rent a New Holland wheeled SS (don't remember the model), but today when I was trying the 257B, what a Cadillac! I also think I really liked the hand controls compared to the feet in the NH. What other manufacturers use hand controls?

cgland
02-20-2006, 11:13 PM

Put a computer assited lazer on the mini-x and all the operator ever does is turns and dumps. We can get within 1/2" of whatever we need to hit.

Bill - This isn't Cali!:laugh: Those units are big bucks. Us plebians are speaking of the old fashioned way, by eye!

Chris

cgland
02-20-2006, 11:20 PM
For our applications I think using an EX to excavate a patio, or walkway is better than a skidsteer for a few reason (please disagree b/c I respect many people on this board and value each opinion I get on here):

1. if I can put my dump trailer within reach is does much less turf damage than a SS in and out
2. hands down with my limited experience on any equipment i found the EX to be entirely more accurate and efficient than the SS
3. even spreading and staging materials, I have unloaded the dump trailer with the EX to drop materials right where I needed them.
4. the rutting from a wheeled SS in the types of soils we have around here create quite a mess!

All right, all of the above means nothing when you consider my experience level compared to some on this board. Do I know how to run a SS? I have no idea! I have some hours in them but I need to see one used properly for an excavation before my opinion means anything!

Dan

P.S. We rent a New Holland wheeled SS (don't remember the model), but today when I was trying the 257B, what a Cadillac! I also think I really liked the hand controls compared to the feet in the NH. What other manufacturers use hand controls?

Dan - I do all of my running around within my excavation area. No need to drive into the lawn (Only for bringing the SS in and out, which if you are careful leaves No damage) We bring the Dump right up to the edge of the excavated area and dump right into it. I think that the finished product of a SS excavated area is way more conducive(sp) to even compaction due to lack of highs and lows. I guess it's all operator dependant, but I will take on anyone in a patio excavation. Plus, I can get rid of a yard of material at once. It will take you 4-5 loads to get that plus you have to do alot of hand work at the end.:nono:

Chris

bigviclbi
02-21-2006, 12:40 AM
As a newbie I'll chime in too. First bought a compactor, cut off saw and dump trailer. Last year I bought a table saw and a one ton stake body dump. I rent a john deere skid steer for about 275 a day delivered. My next purchase will be either a skid steer or mini x. I rented a mini for $100 a day and it was AWESOME, it was a ramrod and I could get into the backyard no problem(the yards are tight here). I think with a mini I could load soil and mulch into a wheelbarrow, we do lots of gravel spreading around here and it would help with that too. I also want a good sized dump (4-5 tons). Compounding the problem is the fact that I'm getting married in December and am going to be purchasing a house around August. And i'm in a cutthroat market for pavers. I'm really trying to hold off on these purchases, but think a mini might take precedent as it could replace one man a day on alot of jobs. I saw a boxer at MAHTS for around $16,000. I can't explain how much I appreciate all the info. you guys throw out here for free, even things I don't understand I eventually run into and then I can act from your guys experience.

Drafto
02-21-2006, 12:52 AM
As a newbie I'll chime in too. First bought a compactor, cut off saw and dump trailer. Last year I bought a table saw and a one ton stake body dump. I rent a john deere skid steer for about 275 a day delivered. My next purchase will be either a skid steer or mini x. I rented a mini for $100 a day and it was AWESOME, it was a ramrod and I could get into the backyard no problem(the yards are tight here). I think with a mini I could load soil and mulch into a wheelbarrow, we do lots of gravel spreading around here and it would help with that too. I also want a good sized dump (4-5 tons). Compounding the problem is the fact that I'm getting married in December and am going to be purchasing a house around August. And i'm in a cutthroat market for pavers. I'm really trying to hold off on these purchases, but think a mini might take precedent as it could replace one man a day on alot of jobs. I saw a boxer at MAHTS for around $16,000. I can't explain how much I appreciate all the info. you guys throw out here for free, even things I don't understand I eventually run into and then I can act from your guys experience.

Ahhh, finally something I have experience in! Here is my advice, buy the mini and the dump truck of your choice and drive it all in the opposite direction of the church on your wedding day:) ! I am just joking, congrats on the up and coming marriage. I love my dump trailer, I think it was really the only great purchase I made last year.

I have the same thoughts as you on the mini. I am envisioning something similar to what Bill Schwabb does, purchasing a concrete buggy to load with the EX, then drive up into the dump trailer to dump it. Keep everything a 2 man operation, excavation, base prep, screed and lay pavers all with 2 men, and except for laying pavers, no fatigue.

It sounds great on paper, we'll see what happens in the spring when I start renting these things and see how smooth it goes. I really believe my love of the EX might be b/c of my lack of experience in a SS.

As far as free advice, don't tell Bill, Chris, or Mike, but I am planning on opening up satellite offices in each of their back yards:rolleyes: !
Dan

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Chris:

It took me a few years to think like this, but consider wages, in ANY state.

Any device that saves labor in reasonable amounts of time is well worth the price. Start adding over dug spots, extra gravel to fill, and not to mention the time and extra spoils we haul out. The lazer/computer assist is well spent money.

orionkf
02-21-2006, 02:17 AM
I rented a mini for $100 a day and it was AWESOME, it was a ramrod and I could get into the backyard no problem(the yards are tight here). I think with a mini I could load soil and mulch into a wheelbarrow, we do lots of gravel spreading around here and it would help with that too. I also want a good sized dump (4-5 tons). Compounding the problem is the fact that I'm getting married in December and am going to be purchasing a house around August. And i'm in a cutthroat market for pavers. I'm really trying to hold off on these purchases, but think a mini might take precedent as it could replace one man a day on alot of jobs. I saw a boxer at MAHTS for around $16,000.

I just rented a tx420 dingo a few days ago, and I'm thinking that a mini loader might be my first major purchase, not including trucks/trailers. Great for residentials with small gate and/or tight access. Load wheelbarrows for places where the machine couldn't go. Auger would be awesome for digging post holes, rent a trencher if needed. Load to and from a trailer. I see lots of uses on just about every job we have. I realize they have limitations, but other equipment can be rented if needed. Bottom line is...savings on time, $, energy, frustration of employees, etc.

YardPro
02-21-2006, 08:22 AM
we use our tx425 dingo on all our paver jobs...
it is the cat's meow for digging and spreading the base, etc..
we use it to run pavers also... it can lift 1/3 of a pallet. and leaves NO dammage...

i see uses for both the skid and the mini X, buy i wold have to say that i would buy a skid before the mini ex...

GreenMonster
02-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Dan, I couldn't decide between a skid and a mini-x, so I bought them both :D

Seriously, have you thought about used? At the time, I bought a used bobcat 753 and a used 331 minix. I've since moved up on the 753, but it did the job for a while. Knock on wood, the 331 is a great size machine, and still running well. I got into both for 30K.

I guess one of those 7k compactors is prolly next for me too.

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
My advice is to leave the compactor to last. They are a machine that is designed to break by way of vibrating itself to death...rent one and let someone else have the maintenance hassle...a petrol powered kangaroo is OK though (Jumpin Jack)..they don't screw up as much. Bomag is the best of the plate compactors.

AS far as real iron goes, we couldn't work out which so we got an Ex first for our blockwork and a skid..shortly after, both are inseparable now on our bigger sites.

If you are not working with a laser you are wasting your time.

Drafto
02-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Dan, I couldn't decide between a skid and a mini-x, so I bought them both :D

Seriously, have you thought about used? At the time, I bought a used bobcat 753 and a used 331 minix. I've since moved up on the 753, but it did the job for a while. Knock on wood, the 331 is a great size machine, and still running well. I got into both for 30K.

I guess one of those 7k compactors is prolly next for me too.

When it comes to equipment I really don't see the advantage to purchasing new. The warranty's are short and the stuff depreciates like a muther as soon as you drive it off the lot. BUT, financing NEW equipment is very inviting especially with the special terms they offer. I am going to see how this season goes, if I can book a few months out I will seriously consider purchasing. But I will have to play a lot with renting before I make a decision. Like I stated above, I would like to run 2 man crews and eliminate as much human error as possible.

Dan

Henry
02-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I started with a skid steer and a 5-ton dump to pull it and haul material. A year and a half later I picked up a used mini-x and haven't used the skid for excavating since. Last year I picked up a used reversible plate on ebay and saved thousands.

Squizzy, I can't agree with your thought on the compactor. Until I bought my first one (4600lb bomag) I used one that was at least 10 years old and it was in great shape. A friend in the asphalt business has one that is so old he's had the plate replaced twice and it still holds up fine.

Squizzy246B
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Squizzy, I can't agree with your thought on the compactor. Until I bought my first one (4600lb bomag) I used one that was at least 10 years old and it was in great shape. A friend in the asphalt business has one that is so old he's had the plate replaced twice and it still holds up fine.

You are probably right for small compactors (less than 250 lbs) for your own use. We regularly run a Wacker plate (800lbs) for 15-20 hrs a week. They break, and they are considered reliable by the rental guys. The 1600lb Dyna-pack we use is worse. If you are using yourself for a few hours a week and its a platey with no forward reverse hydraulics it will go for years.

cutntrim
02-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Order? IMO...truck(s) and trailer first, then small tools (incl. compactor, saw, level, etc...), then excavation machinery. Wheeled buggy, followed by Mini-x, followed by skid-steer. That's for a company strictly doing hardscapes.

If you're like me, and do a lot of maintenance (including snow plowing) your order of purchase not only won't be in that order - it'll also be short a few items. I own the SS, and the trucks and trailers, but rent the other stuff as req'd...even the compactor and saw. Reason? Most of my equip money is tied up in maintenance equipment, and that's where most of my bread is buttered.

If I were strictly hardscaping... I'd go in the order I listed. BTW, the rational for that particular order is to put the NEEDED items first, followed by the WANTED items next, 'cause you can get by with rentals for the latter items...some of which are big-dollar pieces that you'll need the jobs to support the payments.

cedarcroft
02-21-2006, 10:55 AM
someonne asked a question about hand controls. I know Takeuchi has hand controls on their big track machines. I have used the cat w/ the "pilot control" and I like it alot better than the standard Bobcat controls. I have big feet and it is hard for me to get fine control with my feet in most machines. they get caught up on the sides and front and throw off my rythym when operating it.

cgland
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Bill - Fear not my friend for I am a huge proponent of the laser, but IMO for grading a patio or walkway, there is certainly not a need for a $20K leveling attachment for your machine. In more advanced cases....absolutely! I believe this thread is based on order of buying machines (more or less for beginners), so JMO, a SS is way more accurate and efficient for excavating a flat patio, walkway, or pool deck! Again, this is just my opinion based on 10 years of digging with both machines. JMO!:headphones:

Chris

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Chris:

The lazer basically makes a person who does not know anything about grading, a person who can do it just as well as manually. I never would have beleived it until I saw it for myself. I'm with you though, eyeball the site, yer good to go.

zedosix
02-21-2006, 11:42 PM

Chris
I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I just couldn't resist making this comment.
I dug my patios and walkways for years with a skidsteer, I thought it was the cats ass, til I bought a mini ex. Let me tell you there is NO comparing the two. The mini ex, will save you time and money, your base is level and there is no disturbing the ground. I use it with my mini dumpster on tracks. Perfect combo.

Drafto
02-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't wish to hijack this thread, but I just couldn't resist making this comment.
I dug my patios and walkways for years with a skidsteer, I thought it was the cats ass, til I bought a mini ex. Let me tell you there is NO comparing the two. The mini ex, will save you time and money, your base is level and there is no disturbing the ground. I use it with my mini dumpster on tracks. Perfect combo.

Mini-dumpster? Could you elaborate on that please.

Dan

zedosix
02-21-2006, 11:58 PM
They are called a carrier. It is a large wheel barrow of the sorts on tracks. It holds about 1000lbs of material. 32" wide, has a honda motor and a hydraulic dump on it. I will try and dig up a pic of it.

Drafto
02-22-2006, 12:00 AM
They are called a carrier. It is a large wheel barrow of the sorts on tracks. It holds about 1000lbs of material. 32" wide, has a honda motor and a hydraulic dump on it. I will try and dig up a pic of it.

Who makes them and where can I look at one? By the way, are you anywhere near Perth?

Dan

zedosix
02-22-2006, 12:04 AM
I am about 50 miles from perth Ontario. Here is a pic of my unit.

zedosix
02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
check your mail Dan

UNISCAPER
02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
We have two of them comming next month. Track drive hydros, 9.5 HP Kubota diesel, will climb a 2-1 slppe with a load. We also have 4 Ingersol tire driven power buggies. STS rated.

east sooke man
02-22-2006, 01:32 AM
Dan, do a search for a Kubota KC 51

cgland
02-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Zedo - I only offer my experience! I have excavated with both machines and still, to this day, believe the SS is the way to go on basic patio dig outs. I can hold waaayy more material in my bucket, hence, I can get done alot faster and I believe I have way more control on the depth. I guess if you are not good on a SS then the excavator may be the way to go. By the way, please do not misunderstand me I LOVE excavators and I believe they serve a great purpose, just not excavating for "basic" flatwork. Walls - YES, Multilevel patios - YES, Overdigs - YES, Setting boulders and coin steps - YES
But, if you can't realize that a SS is more versatile for a hardscape crew than something is amiss or you are working way too hard. Again, JMO!

Chris

zedosix
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Skid steers are fantastic pieces of equipment with specific duties like quick removal of materials, loading and unloading brick pallets from the truck. I would never be without one. But I have to dissagree with your comment about working too hard. In our area where we work, the ground is 90% clay. The skidsteers because of their weight are just creating ruts and you almost always end up over digging. With the mini ex's you remove only what you need and without the enevitable mess the ss leave behind. Also the mini ex has a retractable track width from 52" down to 39". No more post removals to access the back yard.

All that aside, yes the skidsteers can remove at a quicker rate, but you still have to make that journey from the back yard to the front. Time, time, time....

Dreams To Designs
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
What about a compact Tractor Loader Backhoe or a compact backhoe? Both do less damage than a skid steer and have a hoe to excavate with. As far as minimal damage is concerned, a track compact loader or mini excavator are tough to beat. If you can only afford one machine to start and can only transport less than 10,000 lbs, is it an alternative?

Kirk

zedosix
02-22-2006, 11:25 AM
TLB's are great for areas with wide open access. Just a little clumsy to manoever. Kubota makes a great one with their B21. Like I said earlier, where we do most of our work the access is of the greatest importance, hence the mini-ex.

bbrsq
02-22-2006, 07:50 PM
IMO- may not mean much but I have been in the industry for 19 yrs. I think it all comes down to experience and what you are use to. We did all of our excavations with a SS for years. Eventually bought a Case 580 and started doing excavating with that when we had the room. Not the most efficient on a site. Mainly we use a SS or Mini-ex. If you have good operator, a mini-ex can be just as effiecient as a SS with less overdig and damage. SS with a 66" or 72" bucket creates a large overdig when you are doing a 36" or 48" walkway. SS is definietly more versatile and I would say more of a must before a mini.
Dingo's or the MT50/52 from Bobcat are great for small areas and small jobs. I love them for that purpose but when you are doing a large job just doesn't cut it for digging and hauling materials. At the price tag of $16-18k look at a full size SS. You should be able to find used machines at a reasonable price. To me a small machine like this is easier to rent when you need it unless you can justify it being out everyday on a job.

As for machine with different types of controls: Cat has tank controls, Bobcat you can get with foot or an option for hand controls, Case the same, New Holland has foot controls that are adjustable. But what you are use to or like. Demo them all on a job. Cat is expensive and I dont think any better than the rest. We ran Bobcats before, Case for a couple of years and now I getting a new New Holland. The big thing is to try before you buy. Ask your dealer to demo.

Renting is good but when you start paying out as much in rent in a year as you would for a machine, it is time to consider purchasing. Once you have the machine or piece of equipment you will find you will use it more.

Drafto
02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
We have two of them comming next month. Track drive hydros, 9.5 HP Kubota diesel, will climb a 2-1 slppe with a load. We also have 4 Ingersol tire driven power buggies. STS rated.

Bill,

What are the prices on the Kubotas (w/deisel & w/o)?

Dan

UNISCAPER
02-23-2006, 12:09 AM
They are not Kubotas, just Kubota powered. 12,000 plus shipping and tax ea. They climb 2-1's with a 1500 lb load, they are only 28" wide, and 6' long. Hydrostatic drives and they will dump into a 4' high container or direct on the ground.

Drafto
02-23-2006, 12:13 AM
They are not Kubotas, just Kubota powered. 12,000 plus shipping and tax ea. They climb 2-1's with a 1500 lb load, they are only 28" wide, and 6' long. Hydrostatic drives and they will dump into a 4' high container or direct on the ground.

I was talking with the local MQ dealer and he bummed me out a little on the capabilities of the concrete buggys. He didn't seem to think that loaded they would drive up onto a trailer, or even a pretty good grade for that matter. He even went as far as to say he didn't think they would dump dirt that well. Needless to say, he wasn't a very good saleman. Please feel free to blow everyhting he said out of the water to get me excited again about using one.

Dan

bigviclbi
02-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Does anybody have a mini skid steer and what are their thoughts on their daily use?

UNISCAPER
02-23-2006, 01:07 AM
They will run a fairly steep grade, but they won't do any 2-1's. They dump OK too. The down side is the tires. They need a fairly hard surface to carry over. We have no real issues with that because it never rains here but if you have a soft loam soil, I could see where they might give you trouble.

See if you can find a rental store somewhere that has them and give them a test run.

zedosix
02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Does anybody have a mini skid steer and what are their thoughts on their daily use?

I owned a Thomas T95 mini skid steer for 4 yrs. 42" bucket, it would lift 900lbs. Nice machine, but takes a long time to run material back and forth. Used to dig all my back patios with it til I had a good look at the mini-ex's. I traded it 2 yrs ago (one of the smartest moves I've made.) Instead now I use the mini-ex with my tracked carrier. Perfect combo. Now I'm thinking about purchasing another carrier just to keep up with the mini.

mbella
02-24-2006, 11:14 PM
First, I purchased my Lincoln Navigator because I thought that would be an impressive vehicle to drive to all of my estimates. I figured the potential customers would think, "He drives a Navigator, he must know what he's doing." I thought I could fool them. Just kidding.

Ok. Seriously, I purchased my L-35 first (since sold) tamper second, cutoff saw third, table saw fourth, skid steer for second crew fifth, enclosed trailer sixth, second skid steer seventh and finally a lawn chair, for me, eighth.

cgland
02-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Out of those eight I think the lawn chair takes the most abuse.:dancing:

Chris

mbella
02-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Out of those eight I think the lawn chair takes the most abuse.:dancing:

Chris

Yeah, we're looking at replacing the lawn chair this year. I'm thinking about upgrading, but I didn't see anything at MAHTS that got me excited.

cgland
02-24-2006, 11:27 PM
Definately get something with cupholders and a sun shade.

Chris

UNISCAPER
02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
I just got the newest piece of equipment tonight. A new Corona. The work that thing saves us you could not imagine. Open the lid, squeeze a lime, tip it to your lips. After 6 of them, the work really does not matter anymore.....

mbella
02-24-2006, 11:38 PM
I just got the newest piece of equipment tonight. A new Corona. The work that thing saves us you could not imagine. Open the lid, squeeze a lime, tip it to your lips. After 6 of them, the work really does not matter anymore.....

Bill, those little guys are very reliable. They work every time.

Drafto
02-25-2006, 12:59 AM

Bill - I am suprised you didn't elaborate on your laser guided bottle opener that replaced the dog you trained to open your Coronas for you:) . By the way, what is payback on that thing compared to the price of dog food and vet visits?

Dan

etwman
01-28-2007, 09:15 PM
1. Wet MK Gas Brick table saw, since retired because my guys hate to use it. Every thing is done with chop saws.
2. Skid loader, I will second Chris on this, if you're a good skidloader operator you can dig out anything with a skid steer. Take it up a notch and run a track skid loader and life is even better. Mini x's have their place but I bet 85% of our patios are dug out with a SS. I'm not looking to open a can of worms here. We started renting track ASV's to try them out, I was pretty hesitant at first but I think we are going to pick one up here shortly. They are a remarkable machine, more compact than the competitor, and a huge lifting capacity.
3. (3) TS-400's cut off saws, two 12" and one 14"
4. (2) Topcon self-leveling lazers.
5. Plate tamper Wacker 1550.
6. Just picked up our second Wacker 3545A. And let me tell you they will hammer down like nothing out there. Reversible, weighs about 700 lbs, and compaction force of around 8,500 lbs. You can easiliy slam 6" lifts with them, granted you'll wake the dead, but it'll tamp. Granted they are $8000 machines but if you watch ebay you can get them reasonably. Ours both came from there, perfect shape, and we don't have more than $5k in both.
7. I think we picked up both big Freightliners before we really got into hardscape full tilt, we used them for landscape primarily. They are a pretty big asset with being able to move 18,000 lbs of material around.

mrusk
01-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Way to drag up an old post!

ETW- Now that you are deep in to hard scapes, are you thinking up adding a tri axle or a tandem?

etwman
01-28-2007, 10:40 PM
No, it'll be a while, if we ever go that route. Registration, insurance, etc. is pretty expensive on those bigger trucks and anything over 9 tons we'll get trucked in by a supplier. 9 tons is a great break even point. We can move 6 skids of pavers legally, etc. We can order 24 tons of stone by a supplier in their tri-axle use 15 tons of stone and haul out the remaining 9 tons if need be...on to another job. Like I said its a good number....

We are looking at another Freightliner chassis with the intention of adding a third larger truck. This will probably come about by late this spring sometime.

GroundScapesIncorporated
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
1. Wet MK Gas Brick table saw, since retired because my guys hate to use it. Every thing is done with chop saws.
2. Skid loader, I will second Chris on this, if you're a good skidloader operator you can dig out anything with a skid steer. Take it up a notch and run a track skid loader and life is even better. Mini x's have their place but I bet 85% of our patios are dug out with a SS. I'm not looking to open a can of worms here. We started renting track ASV's to try them out, I was pretty hesitant at first but I think we are going to pick one up here shortly. They are a remarkable machine, more compact than the competitor, and a huge lifting capacity.
3. (3) TS-400's cut off saws, two 12" and one 14"
4. (2) Topcon self-leveling lazers.
5. Plate tamper Wacker 1550.
6. Just picked up our second Wacker 3545A. And let me tell you they will hammer down like nothing out there. Reversible, weighs about 700 lbs, and compaction force of around 8,500 lbs. You can easiliy slam 6" lifts with them, granted you'll wake the dead, but it'll tamp. Granted they are $8000 machines but if you watch ebay you can get them reasonably. Ours both came from there, perfect shape, and we don't have more than $5k in both.
7. I think we picked up both big Freightliners before we really got into hardscape full tilt, we used them for landscape primarily. They are a pretty big asset with being able to move 18,000 lbs of material around.

What ASV are you looking into? Possibly the SR-80?

etwman
02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Yes the SR-80 is the one we are looking at.

STONE SCAPES
02-13-2007, 08:41 PM
First, I purchased my Lincoln Navigator because I thought that would be an impressive vehicle to drive to all of my estimates. I figured the potential customers would think, "He drives a Navigator, he must know what he's doing." I thought I could fool them. Just kidding.

Ok. Seriously, I purchased my L-35 first (since sold) tamper second, cutoff saw third, table saw fourth, skid steer for second crew fifth, enclosed trailer sixth, second skid steer seventh and finally a lawn chair, for me, eighth.

Why did you get rid of the L-35. I have one just wondering

STONE SCAPES
02-13-2007, 08:49 PM

Why did you get rid of the L-35. I have one just wondering

greenbottle27
02-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Here's our general order for equipment purchases... and yes - the digital camera is that far down on the bottom!

If we could have changed on thing - we would have bought the trailer YEARS ago. It pains me to think of all the money we lost having the boys load/unload the truck everyday. Water over the dam, right?!

NewHolland ss = first big machine purchase
Ford and International stake bodies
Chevy dump bodies
plate tampers / wet saw
plows/salt spreaders
F150 (don't ask)
HP laptop / digital camera
trailer
2007 Chevy ext cab dsl p/u with quick release western mount plow = first purchase of '07 :)

tthomass
02-13-2007, 09:37 PM
After hearing enough of "you don't need a truck, just get it delivered" I got one anyway.......didn't take long to realize that doesn't work. Granted it was side work at my sister.

Full time in business, June 2006.

Sept-Dec 2005
* 2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0L 4.10 Ext cab long bed 40k, used ($16,500+tax)
* STIHL cut saw, 14" (rebuilt $500)
* STIHL BR600 blower, new ($444)
* Laser tansit (Christmas)
*Misc hand tools ($1,000)

Jan-Dec 2006
* 2001 10,000 GVW Down Easter dump trailer 6x10, used ($3,000 in May)
* 2006 7,000 GVW V-nose enclosed trailer 7x16, new ($4,500 in Sept)
* STIHL MS250 saw, tillers (used but like new), hand tools etc ($1500)
* STIHL BR600 #2, new ($444)
* 2002 International 4300 truck 25,500 GVW 128k & being equiped with SNG + extras $51,000 (purchased December, still under construction)
* Air compressor (Christmas)

Jan+ 2007
* Air nailer, gun ($160.....gotta love a good sale)
* Maddock/Pic with fiberglass handle, TODAY!! haha

I really don't know what to expect this year but very much looking forward to it. Come a long way quickly. After the truck is paid for I will be saving and saving to grow the bank account. Skid steer (prefer track) likely to be next but I'm not purchasing one just because the truck is paid and I have money to spend. Debating staying in this area and therefore need to save $$ in plans to purchase property and relocate my business south.

tthomass
02-13-2007, 09:50 PM
* Dell latop + Quickbooks Premier ($1100).........December

mrusk
02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
I started in business in 2003. Not actually in business then, but i started to buy equipment. Bought a new 60in lazer liquid cooled. They were running 0 0 0 for a year. So i had my dad buy it and i sold my 4 wheeler and came up with the rest of the money to pay it off in full. Don't know what i was thinking. I was 17 and was tired of cutting my parents 3 acers with the john deere.

Mowed a couple yards the next year while working with a general contractor full time.

Spring of 05 its time to get serious about business since i have a 9k dollor mower. Went and bought a new 05 ram 2500 cummins and a 18 foot haulmark enclosed trailer. Also added a wacker 1550, target wet saw, and a husky demo saw at the same time.

Now i am a couple steps away from being broke, but i get some nice jobs and finish out the year ok.

Spring 2006 i get tired of renting machines. I go buy a Caterpillar 246b and a 12k gvw trailer. I also added a topcon laser at this time. I bought alot of misc hand tools that year.

Now Feb, 07. Got a new dell laptop coming so i can run my design program at peoples houses. Fuggin $2200 since i need a good unit with top of the line video card and schit.

Whats next? I got 2 workhorses lined up for this year.

I really need to buy a single axle dump this year. Would also like to pick up a cheap tacoma for running errands and estimates!

Matt

RockSet N' Grade
02-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey Uniscaper....what kind of laser system did you get for your mini-x? Topcon 5 and where did you find the best price? I've been looking and they run about 10k and that doesn't include install.

Armstrong
02-28-2007, 01:50 AM
I always invest on larger machines.

neversatisfiedj
02-28-2007, 09:54 AM
1.3/4 ton diesel pick up
2.Wacker 1550 plate tamper
3.7 Ton Dump trailer
4.Ts 400 Cut off saw
5.'04 Cat 232 SS
6.Laser level

More Sh(& to buy this year.

kreft
09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
1- john deere 48'' ride on tractor
2-6 X 12 trailer
3-chevy 1500

had that for about 6 yrs with a couple hand helds here and their.

then 2004

4-exmark lazer z 60'', viking 52''

some where in between john deere 4400 loader and equipment trailer with attachments

then 2006-07

5-another lazer z triton 60''
6-metro 21''
7-new hand helds
8-chevy 5500 "the beast"
9-haulmark 24' enclosed trailer
10-bri-mar 18' deck-over trailer
11-new hollannd L185 with bucket, forks, backhoe
12-wp 1550- plate tamper

yea 2007 was a good year!