PDA

View Full Version : Unlicensed LCO's advertising

Triple R
02-20-2006, 10:43 PM
I have recently come across flyers from LCO's advertising mowing and other services including weed control and other pesticide apps. I checked the CDPR website to see if they are licensed and they aren't. I also found 2 companies in the yellow pages that advertise weed control but aren't licensed either.

What would you do?
I plan on turning in any company or individual that advertises but aren't licensed for pest apps to the county ag commisioner. I am not going to report any that don't advertise otherwise I'd be turning in about 90% of the local LCO's and that's alot of people to have angry at you.

On a side note, last week I was driving down a 4 lane (highly traveled) street and I look over to a fellow lco's house and see him spraying his yard in short sleeve and shorts and of course no PPE.

indyturf
02-20-2006, 10:57 PM
I would turn the unlicensed company in, the state should pay us a reward for each one we turn in! I saw a local guy spraying a soccer field in shorts once! what an idiot.

YardPro
02-20-2006, 10:58 PM
rat them out.........

Triple R
02-20-2006, 11:13 PM
the state should pay us a reward for each one we turn in!

I'd be rich and the inspectors would be doing a lot of overtime.

ArizPestWeed
02-20-2006, 11:31 PM
I'd be rich and the inspectors would be doing a lot of overtime.
I'm no snitch

sheshovel
02-20-2006, 11:34 PM
I say you have to follow the rules and so should they.
You have to be licensed so should they especially if they are advertising it.I checked out a company solo op that was advertising in the paper full Landscaping new installs.I checked his contractors license # with the State board cuz the # looked funny to me and sure enough..the guy is NOT a licensed contractor and was using a random # he made up.I called him personally and told him if he diden;t pull that Cont # off his add or pull his add I was going to report him to the state.Haven't heard from him around here since.
Hey if your going to compete with me that's just fine,I can handle some good competition..but if you are going to false advertise and lie to my potential clientele I am going to stop you in your tracks..I don't want people like that screwing up the neighborhood..If your gonna lie your gonna cheat and your gonna be a flake and do lousy work.

JT1304
02-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Call this other company to find out if they do the spraying themselves or sub it out. Just a thought. Maybe this guy is playing by the rules and using a licensed contractor or a licensed friend. :confused:

Landscape25
02-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Good call JT, that could be very embarrassing. Also if it just says weed control it doesn't have to mean herbicides. Pest control indicates spraying, unless they have a whole crew running around with nets all day long, which might be comical.

Triple R
02-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Call this other company to find out if they do the spraying themselves or sub it out. Just a thought. Maybe this guy is playing by the rules and using a licensed contractor or a licensed friend. :confused:

I looked into subcontracting a couple years back when my previous employer filed a complaint against me with the county ag commisioner. Since I was there I started asking questions and I asked about doing sub work for other LCO's and thier response was that unless they are licensed they cannot be involved in any way. The only thing they can do is refer thier clients to someone. I also asked about posting signs after apps and they discouraged that also. I asked what about posting signs after apps for advertising purposes. They said that would be okay but to watch the wording on the sign as far as pesticides. I live in the second highest ag producing county in the nation so the county inspectors mainly deal with farmers and I don't know if the info they gave me is 100% correct. But requiring a lic. to sub out pest work sounds right. You can't run a construction bussiness sub all the work out and claim you don't need a lic. because your not doing the actual work. Anyone in CA know if the county inspectors are correct?

GreenMonster
02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
requiring a lic. to sub out pest work sounds right.

sounds silly to me, but in California, I believe anything.

6'7 330
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Turn em in.You are playing by the rules, paying the expense of following the rules.You have to go to the expense of keeping proper records,the cost of insurence etc.They should have to follow the same rules,no more no less.

Runner
02-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Here in Michigan you cannot advertise, or give any assumption that you can use any sort of pesticides or perform any tyoe of related work unless you are licensed.

PGA
02-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Im so busy with work I dont have time to run around and check others credentials and then call the state to tell on them....

I wish I had that free time...

The mayor
02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Im so busy with work I dont have time to run around and check others credentials and then call the state to tell on them....

I wish I had that free time...
I agree, I am to busy to worry about someone else.

ArizPestWeed
02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I agree, I am to busy to worry about someone else.
Right on , spend your time on your self and quit worrying about others

dKoester
02-21-2006, 03:23 PM
We have to pay, they should also.

nobagger
02-21-2006, 03:31 PM
In PA I don't know if its illegal or not to advertise that you do weed control, even if you personally do it. We sub all of ours out. I would think that only the guy spraying it would need to be licensed. Dumb question but are they talking lawns or everything. Because we do and advertise flowerbed weed control but we usually just remove by hand.(unless its just too many weeds)

PGA
02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
We have to pay, they should also.

Who cares if they do it or not? Do you let others affect the way you run your business? Do you let others judge you?

Do you also have the time to track people down who doing things they shouldnt and tattle on them?

Its almost spring. You guys should be out hitting the street drumming up business and getting stuff ready for the new year.

Green Dreams
02-21-2006, 04:54 PM
If I come across someone who is stupid enough to advertise, I stuff it in an envelope and mail it to the state agency who handles this. But...they don't enforce anything as far as I can tell.

PGA
02-21-2006, 04:58 PM
If I come across someone who is stupid enough to advertise, I stuff it in an envelope and mail it to the state agency who handles this. But...they don't enforce anything as far as I can tell.

Wow, you actually waste time AND money.

twj721
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Hate a snitch I am legal but why do somebody elses job unless you are really that upset about themtaking a job from you that you probably did not get I have been on the receiving end of this when I had to waste a whole day of explaining why how and how often and it really pissed me off when I found out who did it because his wife was on the tax aprassial board here and I knew for a fact that he was operating out of the legal rights when I talked to them I said that there was serval in the area at the inspector said something to the effect was get ther licence palte number and we will see about them I said WHAT me do your job while you sit on your as* do not think so. MY moto is what goes around will come back around it will bite the ones that do not do it legal someday but I will not BE A SNITCH HATE A SNITCH

PGA
02-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Hate a snitch I am legal but why do somebody elses job unless you are really that upset about themtaking a job from you that you probably did not get I have been on the receiving end of this when I had to waste a whole day of explaining why how and how often and it really pissed me off when I found out who did it because his wife was on the tax aprassial board here and I knew for a fact that he was operating out of the legal rights when I talked to them I said that there was serval in the area at the inspector said something to the effect was get ther licence palte number and we will see about them I said WHAT me do your job while you sit on your as* do not think so. MY moto is what goes around will come back around it will bite the ones that do not do it legal someday but I will not BE A SNITCH HATE A SNITCH

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

I agree...

6'7 330
02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I have never turned in another business, I donít go around looking for unlicensed applicators, but if I were, find out about an unlicensed Mow-Joe, it only takes 7 seconds to dial my friend Jerry at the department of Ag.

I donít care if it is snitching; because I HATE those who cheat, take shortcuts, and donít follow the rules, because they are to lazy, stupid or think they just donít apply to them.

The Cowboy
02-21-2006, 11:19 PM
I will not turn someone else in. I take a liberterian stance. What goes on behind closed doors does not concern me. When an illegal act becomes a legal privilege upon the payment of a small extortion fee to some government agency, with no change in the operations of the extorted party, I cannot take part in such enforcement. It is a clear case of revenuing, and operates in such like manner. On the other hand if I observed someone putting down glyphosate at 50%, other issues come into play, like the protection of those who may be affected by it. I may have to turn that person in, but only if they refuse to heed my warning.
I am sure this viewpoint will get me booted out by those on both sides of this issue, but I expect that. Another way to look at it: why would I want to sit all day checking the speeds of cars and turning in those who who are breaking the limit, even though they may be supposedly endangering other motorists? Those who love to police other LCO's need to make sure they are in the right job. There are openings in the police departments everywhere.

firefightergw
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I have recently come across flyers from LCO's advertising mowing and other services including weed control and other pesticide apps. I checked the CDPR website to see if they are licensed and they aren't. I also found 2 companies in the yellow pages that advertise weed control but aren't licensed either.

What would you do?
I plan on turning in any company or individual that advertises but aren't licensed for pest apps to the county ag commisioner. I am not going to report any that don't advertise otherwise I'd be turning in about 90% of the local LCO's and that's alot of people to have angry at you.

On a side note, last week I was driving down a 4 lane (highly traveled) street and I look over to a fellow lco's house and see him spraying his yard in short sleeve and shorts and of course no PPE.

I think if your going to do what you feel is right, do it all the way. You're not going to turn in the locals because they will be mad at you? See what I am saying?

ArizPestWeed
02-21-2006, 11:44 PM

What would you do?

I'm sorry , I'm wrong about what I'd do in this situation , I very well might turn in , come to think of it , I have turned in a company for advertising weed control without being licensed , that's going too far .
If they are applying 'cides but don't advertise , no problem .
Still , I'm no snitch where it counts , to me , that is.
I know there seems to be many others who spend too much time wondering about others , thinking they are hurting them and gotta do something about , often it;s a waste of time .
Soooo , there , yes , I think I'd be inclined to make a phone call .
I'm careful to not mess up some poor dudes little business by turning him in , I may just talk to him myself in the hopes he stops advertising .

This is very important ......
Turning someone in , in your area may mean he'll get a license and compete against you , that would be bad , bad , bad and stupid on your part for creating more competition for yourself .
That's the main reason I don't turn people in .
The only reason there are 4 weed contrl companies in my area is because 1 of the other companies turned in a peoson , now he's licensed .
So , now there are 4 of us , how stupid is that

fedcopcutting
02-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Before you turn someone in, did you guys think maybe he is sub contracting the service out? Don't be so quick to judge. I advertise this service also. I sub contract it to a local company.

The Cowboy
02-21-2006, 11:56 PM
If turning someone in will cut into your profits, you might chose to be self-righteous and hold his feet to the fire and cut your nose off to spite your face, or let him alone and only turn him in when he commits a real crime, or you could let him go his way and hope he doesn't get caught. Certain bullies on this forum like to do it in a self-righteous manner. I hate to think what would happen when firearms become illegal and they will be forced to eat their own words. If you expect us to obey every single one of the 60,000,000 regulations out there, you'd better be prepared to obey every one yourself.

firefightergw
02-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry , I'm wrong about what I'd do in this situation , I very well might turn in , come to think of it , I have turned in a company for advertising weed control without being licensed , that's going too far .
If they are applying 'cides but don't advertise , no problem .
Still , I'm no snitch where it counts , to me , that is.
I know there seems to be many others who spend too much time wondering about others , thinking they are hurting them and gotta do something about , often it;s a waste of time .
Soooo , there , yes , I think I'd be inclined to make a phone call .
I'm careful to not mess up some poor dudes little business by turning him in , I may just talk to him myself in the hopes he stops advertising .

This is very important ......
Turning someone in , in your area may mean he'll get a license and compete against you , that would be bad , bad , bad and stupid on your part for creating more competition for yourself .
That's the main reason I don't turn people in .
The only reason there are 4 weed contrl companies in my area is because 1 of the other companies turned in a peoson , now he's licensed .
So , now there are 4 of us , how stupid is that

This is what I am talking about. Sounds to me your moral compass is what is good for you. I think what is better for you is to concentrate on YOUR business unless you want to sell your business and start working for the Ag Commission.:nono:

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Before you turn someone in, did you guys think maybe he is sub contracting the service out? Don't be so quick to judge. I advertise this service also. I sub contract it to a local company.

I personally would not turn in someone from advertising, even if I looked at the various advertising, which I don't.

I would turn in someone I knew to be an unlicensed Mow-Joe.We were doing a commercial landscape install, while we were on the job, another company was spraying glyphosate all over that part of the shopping center, people complained and the property owner called the department of ag, the department was out on them like flys on a turd.

Another thing, licensed applicators have to keep records of everything they put down.Licensed applicators are responsible for keeping their chemicals and fertilizers stored properly.The applicator going by the rules has to be insured , The applicator who plays by the rules also pays the expense of being legal.And those who don't have the intelligence or think the rules don't apply to them, should sub it out, or get legal.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:07 AM
If turning someone in will cut into your profits, you might chose to be self-righteous and hold his feet to the fire and cut your nose off to spite your face, or let him alone and only turn him in when he commits a real crime, or you could let him go his way and hope he doesn't get caught. Certain bullies on this forum like to do it in a self-righteous manner. I hate to think what would happen when firearms become illegal and they will be forced to eat their own words. If you expect us to obey every single one of the 60,000,000 regulations out there, you'd better be prepared to obey every one yourself.
Could you please clarify that in 3 lines , yes or no kinda answer , please .

I'm very careful with who and how I treat these situations .
It's not all that easy to get a license anyway .
If it's some poor dude just making by , I'll help him out , if it's kinda in the face , I'll explain to 'em that it's against the law in the hopes they'll stop.
Ya gotta be there to decipher the situation

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
This is what I am talking about. Sounds to me your moral compass is what is good for you. I think what is better for you is to concentrate on YOUR business unless you want to sell your business and start working for the Ag Commission.:nono:
Yes , you are right , mostly , it's most all econonics but not 100%.
There are people I would not turn in , it's the little guy just gettin by , I'd help him .

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I am careful to read each situation as they are all different

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Could you please clarify that in 3 lines , yes or no kinda answer , please .

I'm very careful with who and how I treat these situations .
It's not all that easy to get a license anyway .
If it's some poor dude just making by , I'll help him out , if it's kinda in the face , I'll explain to 'em that it's against the law in the hopes they'll stop.
Ya gotta be there to decipher the situation
I was just warning those big guys on this site that they can't be hypocritical about their selective enforcement of the law. They talk about civil disobedience, and then hold everyones feet to the fire.
You summed up the rest of what I tried to say. No, I won't turn anyone in, because I don't want the same letter of the law I enforce upon others.

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
. I hate to think what would happen when firearms become illegal and they will be forced to eat their own words. If you expect us to obey every single one of the 60,000,000 regulations out there, you'd better be prepared to obey every one yourself.

Firearms are a right--applicating lawns is a privilege..and damn right fert, herbicides applicators need regulation--and the unlicensed Mow-Joe's cause those regulations to get tougher.From their dumping bacterial infested product lord knows where .No telling how much chemicals and ferts and sewage slush gets dumped in the water supply .It ain't new, the people who go by the rules have done so for many years now.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Where in Texas are ya ?
I was born and raised in Corpus Christi , 20 years there , loved it , not far from King Ranch .

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:27 AM
Firearms are a right--applicating lawns is a privilege..and damn right fert, herbicides need regulated--and the unlicensed Mow-Joe's cause those regulations to get tougher.From their dumping bacterial infested product lord knows where .No telling how much chemicals and ferts and sewage slush gets dumped in the water supply .
It all ends up ther , anyway .
There's not gettin around it .
We are destroying the planet , with our rules and regs , it will just take longer
than if there were no rules and regs . .

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Firearms are a right--applicating lawns is a privilege..and damn right fert, herbicides applicators need regulation--and the unlicensed Mow-Joe's cause those regulations to get tougher.From their dumping bacterial infested product lord knows where .No telling how much chemicals and ferts and sewage slush gets dumped in the water supply .It ain't new, the people who go by the rules have done so for many years now.

I suppose the measly 60 bucks you pay for the license is supposed to change all that. I am not saying you are wrong here, but you know me. I believe in self government, not regulations being required to force me to do what I already know is right. Believe me I am not one of those polluting Mow-Joes you talk about. If I had my way, you will not be allowed to apply the pesticides you are licensed to apply today, nor enjoy the benefits of the profits you enjoy from doing it. If you want to talk about putting companies out of business, it's companies like yours that will be put out of business when people like me eventually prove our points about environmental pollution. You will eventually be legislated against because you didn't exercise your right of self government by looking for alternatives and sticking to them. The easy way isn't the best way, nor is it often right. I don't think you should have the privilege of polluting the earth and harming its biosphere just because you payed your extortion money. Talk about enforcing regulations here. And you think I am polluting the environment!!!

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 12:44 AM
I suppose the measly 60 bucks you pay for the license is supposed to change all that. I am not saying you are wrong here, but you know me. I am all for self government, not regulations forcing me to do what I already know is right. Believe me I am not one of those polluting Mow-Joes you talk about. If I had my way, you will not be allowed to apply the pesticides you are licensed to apply today, nor enjoy the benefits of the profits you enjoy from doing it. If you want to talk about putting companies out of business, it's companies like yours that will be put out of business when people like me eventually prove our points abot environmental pollution. I don't think you should have the privilege of polluting the earth just because you payed your extortion money. Talk about enforcing regulations here. And you think I am polluting the environment!!!

YOU ARE NO BETTER THEN EVERYBODY WHO FOLLOWS THE RULES.I don't like paying taxes,if I don't I go to jail.I don't think you have the priviledge to pick and chose to follow the rules.

Measly 60 bucks huh , you know what pesticide insurance runs, cost of storage of materials properly, includeing some of that bacterial infested product,you call organic.

Get off of it, get legal or sub it dude, don't get a moral high horse with me.

firefightergw
02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Where in Texas are ya ?
I was born and raised in Corpus Christi , 20 years there , loved it , not far from King Ranch .

I'm in North Texas. Lived in Phoenix for awhile. Sedona is very nice and so is Flagstaff. If I were you I would stop worrying about who is doing what and SALE, SALE, SALE, to your customers that YOU ARE LICENSED and how and why that BENIFITS THEM. Explain the special training that is required to get your license and that by you having a license it demonstrates your commitment to them that your work will be done safely and be done right. I think you will find that if you do this, things will take care of themself. IMHO!! :usflag:

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Measly 60 bucks huh , you know what pesticide insurance runs, cost of storage of materials properly, includeing some of that bacterial infested product,you call organic.

A pile of cowpies is legal to apply with no regulations, so is compost. Don't get started about bacteria and all that crap. There is nothing more bacteria infested than cow manure and compost. WHY DON'T THEY REQUIRE A LICENSE FOR THAT? And storing the materials properly is not going to be changed by a measly 60 dollar applicators permit.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm in North Texas. Lived in Phoenix for awhile. Sedona is very nice and so is Flagstaff. If I were you I would stop worrying about who is doing what and SALE, SALE, SALE, to your customers that YOU ARE LICENSED and how and why that BENIFITS THEM. Explain the special training that is required to get your license and that by you having a license it demonstrates your commitment to them that your work will be done safely and be done right. I think you will find that if you do this, things will take care of themself. IMHO!! :usflag:
I do , I do ,. I think you have read me wrong .
I pay very little attention to others , wheather they are licnesed or not .
I have learned for my competeitors what not to do.
There's one guy here that would stop and yell at a kid who was working for the business that he was spraying at , and sometimes turn him in.
Not smart .
I told him to go inside and tell the boss that it's ilegal and to hire me cuzz I'm legal , get it .
I have trun in maybe 2 in 12 years and they were advertising in the news paper for pest control along with odd jobs

sheshovel
02-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey it took me mabey 10 minutes of my time..it's worth it for me to check those who I think want to USE the privileges that we EARN and earn by taking the required tests and paying the required fee's and putting up the required bond and use those privileges(like useing the name Landscape Contractor ) fraudulently.I live in a close community and we don't want those kind of people coming up here and lieing about what they can do LEGALY.Screw them!
I don't go around checking on everybody
I know who is upfront in my area..the # he used looked funny that's why I checked it out.

And not only that,If I see a drunk in front of me..You bet I call the CHP and turn their ass right in licence plate # and all..call me a snitch when your kid or wife isen't run into and killed because I snitched and got a drunk off the road..that's good snitchin
And it's good snitchin(dident snitch him off but I warned him)when it turns out this guy that has to lie to make himself look good..goes out and takes somebodys hard earned savings and takes off with it instead of finishing their landscaping....or takes a down pmnt and never shows again...or screws somebodysss yard up and does not do awhat he says he's gonna do and leaves someone with a horrible job and no money.It makes us all look bad.I see it all the time and you bet I will try my best to prevent it from happining in this area.

firefightergw
02-22-2006, 01:00 AM
I do , I do ,. I think you have read me wrong .
I pay very little attention to others , wheather they are licnesed or not .
I have learned for my competeitors what not to do.
There's one guy here that would stop and yell at a kid who was working for the business that he was spraying at , and sometimes turn him in.
Not smart .
I told him to go inside and tell the boss that it's ilegal and to hire me cuzz I'm legal , get it .
I have trun in maybe 2 in 12 years and they were advertising in the news paper for pest control along with odd jobs

You seem like I nice guy. IMHO, I would just concentrate on what I was doing. I would make sure I was doing things right and trying to improve my market share. I wouldn't start turning people in because I thought it would benefit me. Good luck Paul! I am sure you will take care of it.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Hey it took me mabey 10 minutes of my time..it's worth it for me to check those who I think want to USE the privileges that we EARN and earn by taking the required tests and paying the required fee's and putting up the required bond and use those privileges(like useing the name Landscape Contractor ) fraudulently.I live in a close community and we don't want those kind of people coming up here and lieing about what they can do LEGALY.Screw them!
I don't go around checking on everybody
I know who is upfront in my area..the # he used looked funny that's why I checked it out.

And not only that,If I see a drunk in front of me..You bet I call the CHP and turn their ass right in licence plate # and all..call me a snitch when your kid or wife isen't run into and killed because I snitched and got a drunk off the road..that's good snitchin
And it's good when this guy that has to lie to make himself look good..goes out and takes somebodys hard earned savings and takes off with it instead of finishing their landscaping....or takes a down pmnt and never shows again...or screws somebodysss yard up and does not do awhat he says he's gonna do and leaves someone with a horrible job and no money.It makes us all look bad.I see it all the time and you bet I will try my best to prevent it from happining in this area.

It does not make us all look bad , just him .
There are rip offs in all professions

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 01:04 AM
It does not make us all look bad , just him .
There are rip offs in all professions

What makes you look bad is when Chemlawn grips an area in a monopoly and offers environmental pollution at lower rates than the rest of you do.:rolleyes:

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 01:06 AM
You seem like I nice guy. IMHO, I would just concentrate on what I was doing. I would make sure I was doing things right and trying to improve my market share. I wouldn't start turning people in because I thought it would benefit me. Good luck Paul! I am sure you will take care of it.
I'm doing quite well ......
One of my competitors has been in business for 35 years and has only 350 clients , I started weed and pest control in '99 and have 375 clients .I expect I'll have 1,000 in ten years because of my slick advertising like post cards and specials I offer .
Also , I have convinced my competitors to stop turning in people , we don't want 5 advertising in the phone book , 4 is too much anyway

Ric
02-22-2006, 01:42 AM
I suppose the measly 60 bucks you pay for the license is supposed to change all that. I am not saying you are wrong here, but you know me. I believe in self government, not regulations being required to force me to do what I already know is right. Believe me I am not one of those polluting Mow-Joes you talk about. If I had my way, you will not be allowed to apply the pesticides you are licensed to apply today, nor enjoy the benefits of the profits you enjoy from doing it. If you want to talk about putting companies out of business, it's companies like yours that will be put out of business when people like me eventually prove our points about environmental pollution. You will eventually be legislated against because you didn't exercise your right of self government by looking for alternatives and sticking to them. The easy way isn't the best way, nor is it often right. I don't think you should have the privilege of polluting the earth and harming its biosphere just because you payed your extortion money. Talk about enforcing regulations here. And you think I am polluting the environment!!!

Cowgirl

NO, It is not about the $ 60 or the money that a License costs. Or is it about government regulation. It is about accepting the responsibility of doing things the right way. Having Insurance to cover if something goes wrong and more importantly having the training so things won't go wrong. That training or education will actually make you money. You can do the job with the right chemicals faster and cheaper than guessing or trail and error.

Those who refuse to get the Education that goes with the license are in fact cheating themselves and then passing the saving on to the customer. The customer who hires the unlicensed idiot, is assuming the risk of uneducated Idiot like cowgirl that can contaminate their yard.

I get a kick out of the """"organic man""""" they think they can skirt the law by using Vinegar as herbicide. They use the excuse that Vinegar won't hurt the plants or the environment. Let us look at the facts. First price the cost of Vinegar compared to Roundup, it is more expensive. Next look at the weed control of both, Roundup does 5 times better at controlling weeds. Last look at the impact of both products on the environment, Vinegar is a acid of about 4 pH and has a residual in soil far loner than the Soap based Roundup that biodegrades very quickly. The """"Organic Man"""""" thinking is just a other case of pure ignorance. BTW I am not knocking all Organic material, it has it value and place in horticulture. I am knocking the Ignorants of those who don't have the education to use it correctly.

Bottom Line Cowgirl. Get the education so you can get the license and insurance so you don't contaminate the world I and my children live in. There are enough Idiots in this world already without a other ignorant moron like your self

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 02:08 AM
A pile of cowpies is legal to apply with no regulations, so is compost. Don't get started about bacteria and all that crap. There is nothing more bacteria infested than cow manure and compost. WHY DON'T THEY REQUIRE A LICENSE FOR THAT? And storing the materials properly is not going to be changed by a measly 60 dollar applicators permit.

All you show is your ignorance,contempt for the laws,rules, and for formal education and training.In your little world, you have no clue why ALL applicator's need insurance.Getting licensed and a formal education and training would be a benefit to yourself and and the industry,an illegal Mow-Joe will never have it open to them.

PGA
02-22-2006, 08:06 AM

How do you know they are dumping it illegally?

Some of you guys sound like a bunch of gossiping housewives.

NattyLawn
02-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Seriously, 6'7 450 and Cowboy need to get a room...You destroy a good thread on the Organic forum and come over here and do the same thing....Just looking for self gratification...

Can't wait for Spring...

1MajorTom
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Seriously, 6'7 450 and Cowboy need to get a room...You destroy a good thread on the Organic forum and come over here and do the same thing....Just looking for self gratification...

Can't wait for Spring...
You are exactly right. Any more of this nonsense, and it's getting removed immediately. I'm tired of this. Take it to pm.

Rollacosta
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I have just been on a week long and very expensive pesticide applicators course,if anyone who's unlicensed locally to me treads on my toes i'll defiantly snitch on them..

Judging by some of the comments on here we HAVE touched on a sore and sensitive subject for some,get licensed or do another job I say...

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
How do you know they are dumping it illegally?

Some of you guys sound like a bunch of gossiping housewives.

How do I know, because some do get caughtóLike , emptying in a creek, another caught emptying a tank out on his property, and along with that emptying used motor oil . Illegal applicators do get caught in Illinois sometimes, usually after they have made headlines with their destruction, like among other events, killing everything in important cook county pondís in 2005 .

PGA
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
How do I know, because some do get caughtóLike , emptying in a creek, another caught emptying a tank out on his property, and along with that emptying used motor oil . Illegal applicators do get caught in Illinois sometimes, usually after they have made headlines with their destruction, like among other events, killing everything in some important cook county pondís in 2005 .

So that means they are all doing it? And does that mean people with proper certification have never dumped illegally? If you can say with 100% certainity and back it up with proof that those 2 things happen then Ill believe you.

If not then you are generalizing people because of a few bad apples.

Ill say it again and this is something that is taught from childhood. Dont worry about the other guy. They reap what they sew. Worry about yourself.

PGA
02-22-2006, 11:01 AM
I have just been on a week long and very expensive pesticide applicators course,if anyone who's unlicensed locally to me treads on my toes i'll defiantly snitch on them..

Judging by some of the comments on here we HAVE touched on a sore and sensitive subject for some,get licensed or do another job I say...

I think everyone should be licensed but to waste your time snitching like a schoolgirl on others is lame.

Ric
02-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Rollacosta

I understand your feelings. Because of Florida's strict Laws, I had to go back to college and get a degree to sit for the full blown pesticide license. It really PIZZs me off when I see some one applying with out a license.

BUT DON"T MAKE MY MISTAKE. I only turned in one repeat offender. But what I did wrong was to approach these guys and give them a piece of my mind. As a result I got a reputation for turning people in, when it fact I wasn't the one turning them in. The guy turning them in was the guy smiling and shaking their hand and telling them he didn't care that they were breaking the law.

PS Just because some of these guys have Licenses doesn't mean they do things right.

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
CowBoy

It is about accepting the responsibility of doing things the right way. Having Insurance to cover if something goes wrong and more importantly having the training so things won't go wrong. That training or education will actually make you money. You can do the job with the right chemicals faster and cheaper than guessing or trail and error.

Those who refuse to get the Education that goes with the license are in fact cheating themselves and then passing the saving on to the customer. The customer who hires the unlicensed idiot, is assuming the risk of uneducated Idiot like the cowboy that can contaminate their yard.

Bottom Line Cowboy. Get the education so you can get the license and insurance so you don't contaminate the world I and my children live in. There are enough Idiots in this world already without a other ignorant moron like your self

I agree with you more than you realize. I am definately for getting the education to do things right, I am also aware the training can be found in other places than the dept of Ag, without knocking them completely. As for yard contamination, you licensed and insured applicators are the ones responsible for the contamination of our earth. i wouldn't have any of you touch my yard with a ten foot sprayer. 5 years down the road the EPA is going to ban the chemicals you are using. I'd rather be totally safe and not touch them at all.
BTW, Roundup is not as safe as you realize. New studies are showing that Roundup is extremely toxic to amphibious creatures. Also, scientists have found more toxic properties in the inert ingredients of roundup than in glyphosate itself. Roundup is very effective at helping superweeds to spread, because some have evolved into a resistance. All those farmers who have to go back to Atrazine are in trouble. Round-up was supposedly safer, but over-use has left it ineffective.

The Cowboy
02-22-2006, 01:07 PM
From another thread[QUOTE=]"I pushed it for 8+ years when I first got into the business back in 1985, that and the continued exposure to Trimec & Dursban is why I now have a neurological illness similar to Parkinson's. But Gee, I made $7-8 an hour back then for all my efforts. Now, I'm much better cause I only do granular apps and only do what I'm able to do by myself. ( I incurred over $90,000 of medical bills spanning 7 years for my $8 an hour pay) Thankfully I have my RealEstate business that is my "mainstay" business. Back in 1985 they told me "oh you can drench yourself in these chemicals, they are 100% totally safe". Well I wonder then why Dursban is now off the market???
Humm.......safe, yea, sure, and I've got land in the Everglades to sell, lol" QUOTE]

This is why I won't use chemicals, or apply for the license. Because I don't want to learn how to apply them if they can do things like this to me or my customers. The licensing didn't help this guy, nor many more like him. Dupont's "Better Living Through Chemistry" is a lie.

olderthandirt
02-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Applications where a lisence is needed is against the law. And I believe one of the rules of Lawnsite is that you can not promote illegal activities.

I'm sure Jodi will tell me if I'm wrong

PGA
02-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Applications where a lisence is needed is against the law. And I believe one of the rules of Lawnsite is that you can not promote illegal activities.

I'm sure Jodi will tell me if I'm wrong

Did you bring an apple for the teacher also? :rolleyes:

olderthandirt
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Did you bring an apple for the teacher also? :rolleyes:

No but I can tell a troll from a mile away :laugh:

PGA
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
No but I can tell a troll from a mile away :laugh:

Thats great...

Ill say it once more then Im out of this thread. For you crybaby sissiepants that are complaining about others...worry about yourself.

I dont have time to snitch or sit here and brownnose. Apparently some of you do. Which is quite sad as its almost March and some of you are still worried about the other guy and not yourself.

And "olderthendirt"...stick and stones may break my bones...