PDA

View Full Version : Mulch, mainly an east coast thing?

cochino12
02-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Just curious as to why so many people here do as many mulch jobs as they do? I am in Co. and mulch doesnt seem to be as big of a profit center here. Does the mulch out east break down and need replacement sooner than it does out here in a drier climate? Please forgive my ignorance but probably 95-97% of my properties residential or commercial never even had mulch. :confused:

CLARK LAWN
02-21-2006, 12:33 AM
if you don have mulch what do you put in your beds?

cochino12
02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
if you don have mulch what do you put in your beds?

Dont get me wrong there are beds with mulch but most yards here have no beds either, if there are beds they are small and just soil/dirt.

topsites
02-21-2006, 04:11 AM
I guess a lot of it has to do with how much I like doing something, has been my experience. For the most part, I enjoy doing mulch... I get tired of seeing it after about my 100th cubic yard, but up until that point I kick it pretty good, and I think that has a lot to do with it... I find other things I advertise that don't excite me as much also don't create as much of a demand.

As big as mulch is here in virginia (we literally run the big suppliers down to the dirt in spring), it's only 15 percent of my gross, it's not my main thing. Nevertheless, I do an easy 100 cubic yards / year, or 25-30 trailer loads, which to me is a LOT of mulch (around $4-5 grand).

One-time apps is most of what I do, in the spring it's biggest. I don't care to do mulch in september because come October the leaves fall and I'm the last one who wants to clean leaves off my own, freshly delivered mulch.

Sometimes, due to the frequency of the applications (once/year does add up over time), I suggest to the customer designer mulch, and sometimes a color gravel does well, also.

EDEN77
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Sounds like the arid climate you have in Colorado has something to do with it. In Western PA, we use a lot of shredded bark to mulch the beds. For me, bark is needed first to provide a weed barrier. Any bare ground in a bed will produce weeds in every inch of ground. Granular pre-emergent weed preventer should go first on the ground with a very thin but solid layer of bark on top. This is done in March or April and can be done later, too. The bark is needed also to conserve moisture in the soil. Last, the bark just looks great in the beds. And, the darker the bark is in color, the greener the lawn will look next to it. If the bark is put down just enough to cover the ground, it will be mostly decomposed by the following spring when you do it again. If done every year, weeds become a minor nuisance instead of a major problem.

By the way, do the people in Colorado also have such bad taste that they like dyed red mulch like a lot of people over here ? When that red bark is installed, the place always looks like a Pizza Hut or a Taco Bell. I absolutely will not spread red bark even if I will lose the account. What do they like out there ?

dkeisala
02-21-2006, 07:51 PM
I realize that I'm on the west coast but everyone here uses bark mulch with Douglas fir being the most popular. Last year we put down 145 yards total.