PDA

View Full Version : Trailer GVW

nherweck
02-21-2006, 01:22 AM
What does the GVW weight for a trailer stand for? Also...what would that mean? My trailer is 7000 GVW , is that the limit for how much weight can be put on the trailer? What would be so bad about putting more weight onto the trailer? I'd like to be able to put 10,000 lbs of weight onto the trailer if possible. 8,000 minimum, will it work? THANKS!

CutRight
02-21-2006, 01:33 AM
if you're trailer has a 7,000 lb GVW that is the gross vehicle weight rating for the trailer. GVWR= payload on trailer + empty weight of the trailer...
therefore:
payload = 7,000 lb GVWR - (empty weight of the trailer)

10,000 lbs on that trailer is probably pushing it and is illegal for that trailer. also i dont know the laws in Kentucky, but here in CT you need to have a Class A CDL in order to legally tow anything over 10,000 lbs. which is the process i am currently going through.

nherweck
02-21-2006, 01:38 AM
Okay....not quite the answer I was hoping for, haha. I'll check on those laws for towing. Do you think the trailer would hold up to 8000 lbs? If not, I'm sure I can put 1000 lbs of the weight into the actual truck, and leave an even 7000 onto the trailer.

BSDeality
02-21-2006, 01:53 AM
what exactly are you planning on towing?
what does a 16 year old drive to tow 10K lbs?

nherweck
02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
BSDeality - I plan on towing Rubber Mulch. I've had quite a few people inquire about getting rubber mulch installed. The stuff is SO expensive in my area, so I'm taking a nice drive to pick it up. In my neighborhood, it costs about 300/cu.yd. of rubber mulch as they ONLY sell it in bags. But, I found a few companies in N.Ohio that are about 100/cu.yd, some less, some a bit more. With delivery, it comes to be about a 100 less per yard delivered with a minimum of 10 yards. But if I take the drive, with all gas expenses and the such, it'll save me about 50%. I'm trying to get as much as I can while I'm out there, so I won't have to make many trips. Of course, if I get too many trips, I'll just have all of it delivered on one truck load, but they only use trucks if I get 60+ cu.yd. Right now all I have is a mini truck...which is why I'm shopping around for a beater diesel or an older 1ton truck. I've been wanting to get one, to tow larger loads, and to have as a backup truck, but I really didn't think that was reason enough for it, but now I've been thinking that it'll come in handy this year more often than not, so I'm looking for one.

FosterLawnscaping
02-21-2006, 02:21 AM
If your trailer is 7000 gvw it probobly weighs between 1600-1750 empty. You subtract the empty weight from 7000 and thats what your payload is. In your case somewhere around 5250-5400 pounds. 7000 lbs on that trailer is pushing your luck, you'll be over weight legally, and way over on your tires. I've had 7,000 on my 7000 gvw trailer before and I wouldn't want to do it again. Do yourself and everyone else on the road a favor and get the right trailer for what you want to tow. I was in this boat once and now have a 14000 gvw trailer to be right with the law and safe. And for CutRight, yes I have my CDL.

BSDeality
02-21-2006, 02:23 AM
interesting. I would keep searching locally, driving to pick up material like that is a huge PITA, plus pulling (assuming you can do it legally) ~10K lbs with truck fuel (plus insurance, maint) is going to cost big pennys when you're going long distance. fuel will probably run you in the ball park of $.60-$.75/mile for diesel.

Not to change the subject, but I would never put down rubber mulch in a planted area, it holds heat more and tends to cook roots.

FosterLawnscaping
02-21-2006, 02:27 AM
interesting. fuel will probably run you in the ball park of $.60-$.75/mile for diesel.

you're saying a diesel gets 3.5-4.5 mpg??? I have 3, 2 fords and a dodge, My dump gets 12 loaded, my 250 gets 22-30 depending on what I'm doing and my dodge gets around 16.

BSDeality
02-21-2006, 03:01 AM
i was thinking several hundred mile trip for him on this excursion say 250 miles away. I was saying based on one way distance, but also including return travel. 250miles @ $.60 mile = 500 miles @$.30

i have a f350 and get about the same numbers as your loaded dump when i'm towing on the highway. equating to $.20-25/mile. I wouldn't expect a 16yo to be buying a great condition diesel that is going to get great mileage, which is why i went a little higher than my costs.

CutRight
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
if people wanted rubber mulch and it costs more, i would just sell it for at a higher price. it costs me more, so it woudl cost the customer more. plain and simple. buy it around here or just get it delievered. it wouldnt be worth my time traveling all taht distance just to save money on materials. i would just charge more.

befnme
02-24-2006, 01:53 AM
if you're trailer has a 7,000 lb GVW that is the gross vehicle weight rating for the trailer. GVWR= payload on trailer + empty weight of the trailer...
therefore:
payload = 7,000 lb GVWR - (empty weight of the trailer)

10,000 lbs on that trailer is probably pushing it and is illegal for that trailer. also i dont know the laws in Kentucky, but here in CT you need to have a Class A CDL in order to legally tow anything over 10,000 lbs. which is the process i am currently going through.

no way do you need a cdl class "a" to haul that. if you are currently trying to get your class " a" you need to re-read the book. not trying to be a hard azz but fyi you only need a class "a" on a combination air brake equipped vehicles. i have had class"a" sinc they were invented when i was 18 years old .( they used to be chauffers lic. when i first started driving truck .)

CutRight
02-24-2006, 09:30 AM
once again, the laws differ from state to state, i didnt say that he definatly needed a class A, but to check out the laws in his state, because here in CT you need a class A to tow anything over 10,000 #s. licences are defined by weight not by equipment. at least i hope im right because thats what everybody here in CT is telling me. The laws may be different in North Carolina and the laws may be different in Kentucky. Thats why this is the United States of America. So we can have crazy different laws in each state and no body can really know what is going on.

CutRight
02-24-2006, 09:32 AM
but maybe you're right, im not on this website to start an argument. id actually love to think you were right, cause then i could go drive down the street right now and not have to worry about a couple thousand dollars in tickets.