PDA

View Full Version : Serious Fertilizing Questions for The Pros

Al Jackson
02-21-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm going into the lawncare business (Fertilizing and Weed Control). I'm looking to get 60 customers as quick as possible. I will advertise by way of direct mail. I will be sending out 25,000 mailers. My question is how hard do you feel it will be to get 60 customers and what is the average customer base for a lawncare business, 60, 100, 150 customers? How many customers do you have and how long did it take for you to get them?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

fertit
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm going into the lawncare business (Fertilizing and Weed Control). I'm looking to get 60 customers as quick as possible. I will advertise by way of direct mail. I will be sending out 25,000 mailers. My question is how hard do you feel it will be to get 60 customers and what is the average customer base for a lawncare business, 60, 100, 150 customers? How many customers do you have and how long did it take for you to get them?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

W/O knowing your background- blanket mailers are generally a waste of money. If you get a 1% return (interest- not sales)- you'll be a lucky man.
You're looking are probably spending near $1.00 each (that's cheap) as well, not to mention the time it takes to call. A better use of your time is to follow a TGCL truck around the tightest neighborhood in town and leaving your flyer on top of their leave-behind.. GL!!!

somo1
03-01-2006, 06:40 PM
From my experience with direct mail you should be able to get a 1% response, depending on the quality of mailer. The close rate will depend on how quick you respond to the customers response. You should run the lead ASAP within 1-2 days. Then call them back that night to verify that they recieved the estimate if they weren't home when you ran the estimate. If you do this you should be able to close about 30-50%. So you may be able to get about 75-125 customers. Good Luck. Remember the key is to run the leads ASAP, and then contact ASAP. You want to get in touch with them before other companies do. Also timing of direct mail is very important.

sclawndr
03-02-2006, 08:05 PM
1% is a bit high. Plan on less - maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of 1%. That's still 180 or so leads. If you can cover them quickly and you have a decent pitch, you should be able to close half. So there's your 80-90 customers. One spring mailer downside - price rules unless you can really sell yourself and your company.

Norm Al
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
offer to do 2 services for free to prove your value and you will fill up a week quick!

indyturf
03-02-2006, 09:30 PM
If I was going to offer anything free (which I don't) I would let them have the late fall fert free, that way you get them as customers for the full season.

Killswitch
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
W/O knowing your background- blanket mailers are generally a waste of money. If you get a 1% return (interest- not sales)- you'll be a lucky man.
You're looking are probably spending near $1.00 each (that's cheap) as well, not to mention the time it takes to call. A better use of your time is to follow a TGCL truck around the tightest neighborhood in town and leaving your flyer on top of their leave-behind.. GL!!!

lol..........

Norm Al
03-03-2006, 10:57 AM
a late fall application is NOT going to show someone your true value!

the REAL cost of a couple applications is minimal especially when you dont have any work!

some of you guys would probably rather spend thousands of dollars on mailers to get 3 jobs,,,,but hey americans reserve the right to be stupid!