PDA

View Full Version : Serious Fertilizing Questions for The Pros

Al Jackson
02-21-2006, 01:56 AM
I'm going into the lawncare business (Fertilizing and Weed Control). I'm looking to get 60 customers as quick as possible. I will advertise by way of direct mail. I will be sending out 25,000 mailers. My question is how hard do you feel it will be to get 60 customers and what is the average customer base for a lawncare business, 60, 100, 150 customers? How many customers do you have and how long did it take for you to get them?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

indyturf
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
if you are sending out 25k flyer's be ready to do lots of estimates! you should end up with 250-500 customers. I have just over 500 and have been in the business 20+ years. I don't think I could of handled 500 in my 1st year, just make sure you have the right equipment and route them as tight as possible. Good Luck!

J Hisch
02-21-2006, 08:41 PM
yeah you have done enough to get the customers, again be ready and many will wait and call once you start applying you might need some help in this time. One important lesson is return every phone call and give an estimate to everyone who calls. If you dont they may never call again. They tend to get offended if you dont return their calls. I would hire a phone answering service, and have them scheadule your estimates for you.

6'7 330
02-22-2006, 12:00 AM
If you get a call percentage for flyer's similar to our area , you will get 1 to 2 % calls from 25k flyer's.

ArizPestWeed
02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
National average is .3 % and that's what I get , well , I think that's right .
I'll get 3 clients for every 1,000 but only if the timing is perfect .
If the timing is off , you'll do less .
Also , I get 60,000 post cards printed for $750.00

indyturf
02-22-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't think I have ever got less than 1%. but timing is important

Turfdoctor1
02-22-2006, 02:11 PM
i was just reading through this thread, and i found it interesting, because this is my first year in business as well.

how much is it going to cost to print and mail 25000 post cards or whatever it is that you are sending?

Also, I was wanting to follow up on the question about how many customers it takes. I am starting out my business while keeping my full time job. But, I would like to be full time and wonder how many it would take to make it. i expect 150-200, anybody want to weigh in on this?

thanks

Big Red
02-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Indy Turf: I sent you a PM, please check when you get the chance. Big Red

all ferris
02-22-2006, 03:06 PM
I'm going into the lawncare business (Fertilizing and Weed Control). I'm looking to get 60 customers as quick as possible. I will advertise by way of direct mail. I will be sending out 25,000 mailers. My question is how hard do you feel it will be to get 60 customers and what is the average customer base for a lawncare business, 60, 100, 150 customers? How many customers do you have and how long did it take for you to get them?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

What???? your singing career hasn't earned you enough money???:laugh:

Runner
02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Direct mail is one way to go, but the key to THAT is follow-up. I can show you a way to accel your client list in exponential form. I've done it, and it works. As far as the "average customer base" for fert., there is none. I CAN tell you this, though....depending on what you are using, a tech can usually handle approx. 400 accounts if they are averaging 1/2 acre. This is based on a 20 day work month. I can't tell you anymore than that at this time, though....I can't read any longer because of this stupid new format with small words. I'll be on another forum site (that I can read) sharing information./..thank you.