PDA

View Full Version : Conrete Pricing

Dixie Rob
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi,

I am doing some landscaping, and my wife wants to add on to our patio. The part she wants to add onto is a little slope part and is 10.5'x10.5'. She wants to make one edge of it curved (no right angle). I know it is going to take 1 full pickup load of gravel for backfill.

I have gotten a couple of estimates because I don't want to do it myself, and the cheapest price I have found is $1,000. Doesn't that seem high for like 1.5-2 yards of concrete? I mean, I know $250 is going towards delivery since I'm not getting 5 yards of concrete, and about $150 towards the actual concrete.

Is labor usually $600 for a small job like this?

Dirty Water
02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
If you want to save a buck, form it up yourself, prep it, and hire a finisher for the day.

A good finisher will charge you about $300 a day.

Foz
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Let me ask a question. When you hire out your business, do you hope that the customer is price shopping or value shopping (best job for $$ spent)?

If we were to bid that project, with a curve so there were not right angles, our bid would likely be between $1,000 and $1,200.00. I think the price is very fair!

1over2
02-21-2006, 07:24 PM
Most concrete companies charge a minimum. That being said, 1000.00 is more than reasonable.

UNISCAPER
02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
I won't touch any job under $10,000.00 for reasons similar to what your concrete prices are. It costs us that much just to mobilize on a job. Along with supplies for the job, we need to bill $10,000 a week to make any money at all.

Downscale to the size of your project for a minute.

Consider a short load of concrete. The truck driver still gets paid the same wage and the truck still costs the same to insure and fuel than carrying a full load. Finishers get paid by the day, no matter what work they do. And, the carpentry of the forming still needs to be done.

Fixed overhead is the same for the company doing the pour. At $1,000.00, unless mud in your state is going for under $60.00 a yard, and that truck has a 4 yard minimum, whoever gave you that price is not making a dime.

Dixie Rob
02-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the suggetions!

I work in construction but haven't ever dealt with concrete, short of knowing some concrete guys, and watching it being done.

My company charges a minimum too to cover gas/wages, and I understand the minimum.

I just didn't know if $600 was a high labor rate, for a 1-man crew who won't be spending much on fuel, and probably isn't insured.

Thanks again,

Rob